Why become a member? ×

Short scale and pink

MuddBass

3 hours ago, MuddBass said:

That's the one I had initially focused on as she'd dig the purple. I had seen mixed reviews online so glad to hear positive comments here. Would anyone know appropriate weight?

I think the bad reviews might primarily concern the early Chinese made ones, the quality went considerably up when production moved to the Cort factory in Indonesia.

That's right, Cort makes these basses now for Ibanez, and the quality is pretty consistently great, even pretty amazing considering the price point.

As for the weight I have little idea as to the current production, since they have changed body and fretboard wood types since mine were made.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bassassin said:

This is what she wants:

vfu3apy7z89elxoexmaj.jpg

Daisy Rock Stardust Elite. Unfortunately, so do I, so she'll have to fight me for it.*

*Spoiler - she'll win, no bother. B|

I have two of those. Great basses very rock n roll. I might have one up for sale soon as I really don't need two.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I’ve seen a very petite lady playing a full sized p bass and doing it very well; it can be done

I'd think this young lady not being hampered by a 34" scale & 42mm nut is worth showing to any young bassist!

4 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I have two of those. Great basses very rock n roll. I might have one up for sale soon as I really don't need two.

I had an idea someone on here had one! But two, you say? One for me & one for Ms. @MuddBassthen! Sorted! :D

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

I'd think this young lady not being hampered by a 34" scale & 42mm nut is worth showing to any young bassist!

I had an idea someone on here had one! But two, you say? One for me & one for Ms. @MuddBassthen! Sorted! :D

Then show the huge man Stanley Clarke with his huge hands and petite 30" short scale main electric bass and what he can do with that, as well.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, miles'tone said:

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/3-4-LA-Bass-Guitar-by-Gear4music-Black/17G

Perfect for an 8 year old. 

See if she takes to it and save the real budget for a little later on when she's into The Cure and wants everything black 😄

Screenshot_20240403_102929_Chrome.jpg

Plenty of money left over to get it really nicely set up and playing great.

2 hours ago, miles'tone said:

when she's into The Cure and wants everything black

:lol:

• Like 2

On 02/04/2024 at 01:06, Bassassin said:

The bass in your example is a Stingray Shortscale though :)

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

A huge thanks for all those providing suggestions and taking the time to post links etc. It reminds me why I joined the forum way back in 2007; it's such a helpful and friendly community.

For those interested, I've gone ahead and placed an order for one of these Ibanez models https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/gsrm20_2y_06.html.

Although it will take a couple of months to arrive I am sure she will absolutely love it! Whilst not available in first choice colour pink, purple has been confirmed as being a "second best colour" - so all good there! The plan will be to see how she does, then move onto a full-size body / weight / scale length version in a few years time; much like I did when I started the double bass around the same age.

I will update again once it's arrived and I've set it up.

Thanks again,

Greg

Edited by MuddBass
  • Like 12

On 03/04/2024 at 13:19, MuddBass said:

For those interested, I've gone ahead and placed an order for one of these Ibanez models https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/gsrm20_2y_06.html.

Excellent choice. My daughter got one of these when she was 8 and it took her all the way to Grade 8.

(Nowadays she just raids my collection) 😀

• Like 2