Why become a member? ×

Noob help with pedal order

Zim

My setup consists of the following

Hohner Jack Bass (Active) 1980s

Harley Benton Custom Line Bass DI-Expander (preamp + compressor + DI) https://harleybenton.com/product/custom-line-bass-di-expander/

(Only linking the above as it's probably critical to the answer what this is)

Tuner pedal

Octaver pedal

Overddrive pedal

Chorus pedal

Power amp

Cabinet

I'm wondering what the order of the preamp is to the pedals and why. I've seen a few youtube videos about pedal ordering, but there doesn't seem to be anything which covers a preamp like this.

Thanks, asked in good faith, I've scoured the manual and product pages already!

Zim

Hi Zim... In truth the order is whatever you want it to be! Personally I would go this way:

Tuner first so that you can mute the signal before it goes into any noise boxes;

Then I'd test the way your octave and chorus sound with the drive before or after them, that can make a difference, and settle on what's right. If your Harley Benton pedal doesn't have an effects loop and you use it to DI I would put that last purely so you're giving an effected signal to the DI. If it has an effects loop then that changes things.

• Like 1

I tend to put my octave box before any effect (not including tuner) so that it gets a clean signal to help with its tracking. However, pedals react differently and experimentation to find what suits you set up best is the way to go, as @uk_lefty says.

With regard to fx loops, I’ve never bothered them and stuck everything in front of the amp (this probably come from having amps without loops previously), it certainly cuts down on the cable spaghetti. However, as always, YMMV.

Ooh, nearly forgot :crigon_04:

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

As Lefty says- depends if you're using the DI out on the HB.

If you are, I would go tuner-> octave-> drive-> chorus-> DI.

If not, I'd put the HB between the tuner and the octave.

That said, the only rule that matters is what sounds best to you, spend an evening experimenting and see what you like.

Also, welcome aboard!

• Like 2

Wow, I've just woken up and eagerly checked my noobish question, and had loads of nice and useful replies. Point taken about the DI and the effected signal, and the other ordering prefs. Thank you so much all!

• Like 2

There are a few pedals that tend to act differently to the bass signal, especially if the bass has a hi-Z (high impedance, "passive") output. These include OD/fuzz/dist, some compressors, and envelope filters. You can find them by testing only.

If any of your pedals loves to be the first in a row, put it there. Any pedal that is on (processing the signal), is practically pushing out a lo-Z (low impedance) signal. If the tuner pushes out a lo-Z signal, it may be very feasible to put it to another place.

Do make lots of trials to find out your own functional fx chain. If you have two or more basses, use different signals (like a simple Precision, and a Kingbass with the paramatrix pre).

Note:

Impedance has nothing to do with signal level: a hi-Z signal ("passive") may be more powerful than a lo-Z one ("active"), and vice versa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

As Lefty says- depends if you're using the DI out on the HB.

If you are, I would go tuner-> octave-> drive-> chorus-> DI.

If not, I'd put the HB between the tuner and the octave.

That said, the only rule that matters is what sounds best to you, spend an evening experimenting and see what you like.

Also, welcome aboard!

I've always had the DI last in the chain as a backup in case the amp fails. Have never had to use it once mind you.

• Like 2

I echo what has already been broadly mentioned, which is that the correct layout is that which sounds best to you! Which opens up the way for a lot of experimentation, but that really is where you'll get the best long-term results.

That said, for what it's worth, here would be my personal layout:

Overddrive pedal -> Octaver pedal -> Chorus pedal -> Harley Benton preamp + compressor -> Tuner pedal

Really, it doesn't matter too much where the tuner is, but if it's at the very end of the chain, it also acts as a very effective mute. If it's at the start of the chain and you leave loads of effects on while you tune, yes your bass signal is muted, but you could still have effected pedal noise going to your amp. 

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Sibob said:

Really, it doesn't matter too much where the tuner is, but if it's at the very end of the chain, it also acts as a very effective mute. If it's at the start of the chain and you leave loads of effects on while you tune, yes your bass signal is muted, but you could still have effected pedal noise going to your amp.

I always preferred putting it at the front because then you don't have to turn everything off to tune up! But, yeah, it doesn't matter that much!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sibob said:

Really, it doesn't matter too much where the tuner is, but if it's at the very end of the chain, it also acts as a very effective mute.

Mute is a cool idea, but if at the end ... if other pedals are active, such as octave/chorus/OD, can the tuner still get a good lock on the tuning note?

Sam x

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SamIAm said:

Mute is a cool idea, but if at the end ... if other pedals are active, such as octave/chorus/OD, can the tuner still get a good lock on the tuning note?

Sam x

If the chorus is on, the note wobulates (technical term) between sharp and flat... VERY confusing if you don't realise!

• Like 1

Although Delay hasn't been mentioned... and usually placed at the end - less Amp Sim or depending where DI is taken - from my gtr days of the dim and distant past of the early 80's...

I likes my Delay before my Slow and Subtle Phaser... so the repeats get changed, just a little, rather than before, when the repeats are the same! Sounds more Organic to me.

Usual would be Tuner/Compressor/Filter&EQ/Drive&Distortion/Modulation aka Phase,Flange&Chorus/Delay&Reverb/Amp 'n Cab Sim/DI... Depending where you want your DI sound taken... maybe also taken earlier in the signal chain for a mixed wet/dry sound.

Most important give em a go and see what you hear different and what ya like.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, SamIAm said:

Sam x

Well absolutely, it’s certainly a consideration, depends on the player! Pros and Cons for sure!

Si

• Like 1