Why become a member? ×

Time of the Fivers?

On 14/04/2024 at 22:35, Geek99 said:

When my talent level demands it, I’ll shift to a five. Luckily I think I’m safe until 2351. 

There's no real relation between talent and number of strings, I mean just look at your average guitarist. ;)

Or Victor Wooten, who is a pretty dedicated 4 string player, or Stanley Clarke for that matter. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

. . . . Victor Wooten, who is a pretty dedicated 4 string player, or Stanley Clarke for that matter. 

VW also sounds good when playing his 5 string basses with Bela Fleck.

He told me that he uses 4 string basses for his bass clinics because he feels more comfortable playing those lines on a 4. He owns 4, 5, 6, fretless and double basses and will play any bass if it is right for the song and band.

The grown up approach.

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

VW also sounds good when playing his 5 string basses with Bela Fleck.

He told me that he uses 4 string basses for his bass clinics because he feels more comfortable playing those lines on a 4. He owns 4, 5, 6, fretless and double basses and will play any bass if it is right for the song and band.

The grown up approach.

He usually plays 4 at shows too, also with Bela Fleck, or at least used to.

And I've never watched any concert videos or otherwise with him where he doesn't play his trusted 4 string Fodera Yin Yang Monarch bass.

Time to upgrade to 5 string when you can play this without any mistakes ;) :

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I cannot see where it’s based on talent. What you play and how you play it is your preference. Lots of bassists at lots of levels playing lots of different instruments…makes things richer and lots more interesting.

• Like 3

The only real limitations with basses tuned E-G (4), B-G (5), B-C (6) are that you can't play below a bottom E on the 4, or more than around 2 octaves above top G on the 4 or 5 (depending on number of frets). Plus the number of strings dictates the maximum number of notes in a chord, if you're that way inclined. Everything else is optional.

I usually play a 5 but don't mind a 4, especially for drop-D. 5s are just easier to get around on and the low notes are cool, they go great with synths too.

I own way more 4s because all the weird/old/cool stuff I like was made that way. Very few of mine see a stage but they are there for noodling or studio requirements. Someday I'll upgrade my two fivers (fretted and fretless) but it's not a big need.

🎶

"It's the Time of the Fivers

It's the thrill of the Five

Rising up to the challenge of our rivals

And even Jaco, with a butter knife, couldn't deny

That for some, it's the time.....

Of the Fivers!"

🎶

(sorry, it's been a long day)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 14/04/2024 at 21:35, Geek99 said:

When my talent level demands it, I’ll shift to a five. Luckily I think I’m safe until 2351. 

I actually find it easier to play a 5-string now. All the notes are right there, 2 octaves within 5 frets, going back to 4 feels a bit like when my dad removed the stabilisers from mi bicycle.

I know you won't believe me, just like I would not have believed it myself not that long ago. :D

• Like 5