Why become a member? ×

Sting got a brand new toy?

sblueplanet

Saw a little trailer for the upcoming Sting 3.0 tour and grabbed a screenshot showing Sting using what looks like a new custom Fender. I'm not familiar with him playing this before as usually been his beat up '54 P for years now. This one doesn't look like a vintage P with humbucker but something maybe made to order. I'll leave it to the Fender experts to fill in the details. 😄

IMG_20240315_153100.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delberthot said:

It looks similar to a Telecaster II but with the mudbucker in the regular split P position

Looks like the Fender Wide Range humbucker bass pickup, not a Mudbucker.

Same as in the current production Squier Paranormal Rascal :

image.thumb.png.bc4d73b9653b0b04fd5f1a3d8fa9dd15.png

Also that bass appears to not just be a slab body like the original Telecaster Bass, but actually feature contours. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Looks like the Fender Wide Range humbucker bass pickup, not a Mudbucker.

Same as in the current production Squier Paranormal Rascal :

image.thumb.png.bc4d73b9653b0b04fd5f1a3d8fa9dd15.png

Also that bass appears to not just be a slab body like the original Telecaster Bass, but actually feature contours. 

I am glad that does not come in 5 string format.

Also the string tree is closer to the nut than on a standard tele head stock and although it’s a little blurry does that head shape looks like it has a slight point at the bottom of the round end. Is it a Fender? IMG_2995.thumb.png.ae2643e9feb1ec66511a92d358f194ba.png

4 hours ago, sblueplanet said:

I'll leave it to the Fender experts to fill in the details. 😄

IMG_20240315_153100.jpg)

...i realise it's easily done, but it does appear that Sting has mislaid the Ford Mustang Spark Plug tip off his selector switch

fortunately we all know a man who can fix that for him...

Edited by sandy_r
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Chrisan2 said:

Also the string tree is closer to the nut than on a standard tele head stock and although it’s a little blurry does that head shape looks like it has a slight point at the bottom of the round end. Is it a Fender? IMG_2995.thumb.png.ae2643e9feb1ec66511a92d358f194ba.png

Again another blurry image of the headstock. Can't see a Fender decal in this one so maybe a one-off by a luthier?

IMG_20240315_203247.jpg

Edited by sblueplanet

Thanks. From the shape of the pickguard it looks very like a 70s Telecaster with the pickup moved to the P position. Agree the headstock shape is a little pointier so maybe a custom build rather than a modded 70s Tele.

Stingnewbass.jpg.c3d5aae314831c5a052dd620a0eba05e.jpg

Edited by ikay
  • Like 1

On 16/03/2024 at 12:07, ikay said:

Thanks. From the shape of the pickguard it looks very like a 70s Telecaster with the pickup moved to the P position. Agree the headstock shape is a little pointier so maybe a custom build rather than a modded 70s Tele.

Stingnewbass.jpg.c3d5aae314831c5a052dd620a0eba05e.jpg

Like my warmoth but with a different pickup 

20240313_215154.thumb.jpg.9e47dc240b832d39a79dd9b06bd9e75f.jpg

I would buy that bass, interesting pickup choice and I always loved the look of the 70s telecaster basses but not the pickup by the neck. Come on Fender, or better still Squier! 😄

• Like 1