Why become a member? ×

Fender custom shop new models… who cares!

Boodang

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

Yup. I supspect those people are far too busy making pots of money to be posting about bass toys on the internet.

I have owned a few latish model Fenders. Nothing from the last ten years. They had no obvious areas that could be improved. So I am not in seeing value in 5k£ versions.

It’s not often we agree, but I’m 100% with you on this one 

2 hours ago, Boodang said:

Sorry, just can't help myself!! Actually did a 'bolt on necks suck' thread last year, so I guess this is just a rehash in disguise! However, quite happy to rein it in for some genuine thoughts on 5K Fender CS basses.

No need to apologise to us. I suspect Jens Ritter knows more than most about the virtues of a bolt-on neck. Maybe give him a call and tell him he's wasting his time 😎.

3 hours ago, Boodang said:

But, getting back to the original premise, if you had 5k to spend on a bass, would you buy Fender CS or look elsewhere?

I would look elsewhere, until I had bought the other basses I want and still had £5k for the burl one. Most of the CS basses will go to collectors than weekend warriors, hence the certificates. 

On 21/02/2024 at 05:55, Boodang said:

I noticed Fender custom shop have announced new models for 2024… if you’ve got £5k to spare you can buy two badly bolted together pieces of wood!

Out of interest, does anyone here think there’s something magical in these custom shop specials? Would you spend 5k on one of these or for that money might it be possible to buy something of better value!

You cared enough to post this thread? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Boodang said:

Me, not like bolt ons, what ever gave you that idea!! Sculptured heel or not I just think it’s a lazy cheap way of joining two pieces of wood…. Especially on something costing 5k. 

Originally it was a way to construct a mass produced Bass/Guitar as opposed to set neck  (upright bass )  Or neck through Alembic etc. but it has since been recognised as having a distinctly separation, or disconnect (tone) property to a through neck construction. That many like, and prefer.   Yes they could and should have followed others in making this heal less intrusive by now.

As far as (here is one I made earlier from a box) ?  😕 does it have a quarter sawn neck and are the woods seasoned and selected for best quality.  

I have a Fender CS 62 P bass it is wonderful,  I payed £2250 second hand and worth every penny of that -  No I wouldn't pay £5k.    but I would have a Mr Shuker - JJ Pbass special,  made for sub £3k

another point is back in the day when fender made these in house by craftsmen that selected woods etc they were good instruments, greed by CBS and subsequent accountants has seen facsimiles outsourced by the company all over the third world, and made down to a price with very confusing names that create confusion as to what the model name means anymore. An MDF model can't be far away by now

• Like 1

Thought I should add this comment from F-Bass manufacturer reference which is best.

Does Neck-Through construction sound better than Bolt-On?

“Better” is subjective to the player.
We actually find that a wider range of players prefer Bolt-On. It has a quicker attack & an overall more lively tone, is more responsive to playing dynamics, doesn’t render the entire bass worthless if the neck is damaged beyond repair, and it’s standard to boot. The neck-through construction has always and will always be an option for those who want a little more compression and sustain. It’s a positively beautiful thing in the upper register.

• Like 3

I've got a 1960 CS Jazz, OW, tort guard and rosewood board. Best jazz going. 

I went to guitarguitar in Birmingham a year or so ago with the intention of getting either a pro 2 or Ultra. Tried the CS and the sound was leagues above the basses I'd originally gone to try. Ended up then trying a few CS jazz basses with a sunburst in mind but the OW 1960 one was the bees knees in both sound and feel. Lightly relic'd. Again, something I never thought Id buy. I even considered buying it and having it refinished but I've left it as is. I was pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 4

A year or so ago, I saw a Scottish pro drummer acquaintance of mine playing with his blues band somewhere around here. The normal bass player was on tour, so they had a youngish guy depping for them. This kid was an ace player, had a degree in music, played in a classical orchestra (forget which instrument) and also played an upright on jazz gigs. In addition to that, he also did various pop or rock gigs on electric bass.

He had just paid £3.5k or so for a new mint green, RW neck, CS P bass and asked me what I thought of it. I played it and it looked, sounded and played great. He said that he knows its not cheap, but he wanted a simple, reliable, top quality bass that he could take on any pro gig and know that it would work. You can't really argue with that. 

Would I pay £5k for one - I dunno, probably not. But I can see why he would... 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2

It’s worth remembering that there are players out there that don’t know beyond the usual brands you find in a music store. If they have serious money in their pocket, they might consider themselves buying the best available when we know of other options. 

22 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

It’s worth remembering that there are players out there that don’t know beyond the usual brands you find in a music store. If they have serious money in their pocket, they might consider themselves buying the best available when we know of other options. 

There are also pro players who know of all the options but gravitate to Fenders, because they know that is what their gigs require / their clients want.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have two CS P basses. One a 57 and one a 61 reliced 

both great instruments. I bought them brand new in the last two years. Didnt pay anything like £5k. Got the two for less than £6k

one was £700 more than the American vintage. 

both great great basses. 

there are deals out there. 

I’ve had vintage fenders, Japanese Fenders, Mexican etc. 

I do think it is the law of diminishing returns and I’m sure some people would actually prefer a Squier if blindfolded but for me and the enjoyment of playing and the actual feel of them I consider them good value. 

• Like 1

On 21/02/2024 at 15:24, Lozz196 said:

A few years back I played a Master Built Strat, it was hands down the best guitar I`ve ever played. I`d gone to buy an SG from a private sale and although it was a good guitar I left with it feeling decidedly disappointed after playing said Strat. 

Similar experience here.  I tried several CS strats at Coda, all were great but one blew the rest away.  It just sang in every position, the neck was exquisite and the finishing flawless.  Turned out that guitar was a Ron Thorn masterbuilt.  I bought it & everything else has felt dull & lifeless since.

I can't say MBs are 100% worth it, only that my particular guitar was worth it to me.

• Like 3

I owned a CS LTD Edition 1970 closet classic Jazz a long time ago, cost me just over a grand 15 years ago... Only 100 made. It was just fabulous. I wish i still had it. Would be north of £5000 now to get one. quater sawn neck, single coils . THE greatest neck on any jazz bass ive ever played period...  Would I pay £5000 for one now. Not a chance...Way better Jazz basses out there. Traded it for a Modulus jj4. What an idiot. 

original.jpg

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 2