Why become a member? ×

Soundslive in trouble?

GreeneKing

I don't want to either be a harbinger of doom or a spreader of malicious info but I went into the Soundslive site and tried getting a finance quote.

[quote]IMPORTANT INFORMATION

T S Courtman & A Timperley of Cooper Parry LLP were appointed Joint Administrators of the Company on 12 May 2009 under Leicester County Court reference 690 A0 of 2009. The affairs, business and property of the company are being managed by the Joint Administrators, who act as agents of the company without personal liability.[/quote]

This was the message that came up, of course it could be in relation to the finance company.

Edited by GreeneKing

You are spreading terrible disinformation :-)

[url="http://www.able2buy.com/message.html"]http://www.able2buy.com/message.html[/url]

I bought something several years ago on tick and got a letter saying that able2buy had gone bust, so I don't know what the angle is there. They still made me pay though :)

Phew. I like Soundslive. Long may they reign...

Now if only they'd a) do something about the price of Schecters on their website and 2) not try to sell you things they don't have in stock and can't get (e.g. oh I dunno, the Schecter I was desperately trying to buy a few months ago!)

Edited by Eight

[quote]You are spreading terrible disinformation :-)[/quote]

I don't think you actually read my post. I was particularly careful not to do that and to just give the facts in relation to the message I received.

:)

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='487335' date='May 13 2009, 09:55 PM']I don't think you actually read my post. I was particularly careful not to do that and to just give the facts in relation to the message I received.

:rolleyes:[/quote]

I did read it. I'm just stupid and didn't understand :)

I've known the owners of this business for 30 years, since long before it was started. I have spoken to them for clarification.

It is indeed the finance provider that has gone in to administration and Sounds Live are sourcing a new service.

Just to clear things up..................

Edited by rslaing

[quote name='rslaing' post='487859' date='May 14 2009, 01:20 PM']I've known the owners of this business for 30 years, since long before it was started. I have spoken to them for clarification.

It is indeed the finance provider that has gone in to administration and Sounds Live are sourcing a new service.

Just to clear things up..................[/quote]

good news indeed - be a crying shame if the North lost yet another long term music shop............

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Below is an official response to the question of the finance button clicked on by GreeneKing:

Able-2-Buy provided an on-line finance service for our customers. Unfortunately, Able-2-Buy went into administration on the 12th May. This can be verified if you search Google for ‘Able 2 Buy’. Google returns this informationbut link to their site no longer works.

Sounds Live are currently in the process of sourcing a new finance provider for our on-line customers, and as you can see from any of our product pages the ‘Finance’ button has been temporarily removed. Please note that in-store customers are unaffected by Able-2-Buy, as we use a different financing house for in-store finance agreements.

As for Sounds Live, we are fit and healthy and will be around to serve both our local, national and international community for years to come! In fact, we are so healthy we are even in the process of launching a brand new website to run along our existing site, which can be found at [url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com"]www.soundsliveshop.com[/url]!

Thanks for the information Bob, how you keeping anyway?

Regards, Tom Cleugh (Director, Sounds Live)

[quote name='SoundsLive' post='502991' date='Jun 1 2009, 03:15 PM']... we are even in the process of launching a brand new website to run along our existing site, which can be found at [url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com"]www.soundsliveshop.com[/url]![/quote]
On first glances, a vast improvement! Good move! :)

I'd love one of these basses never knew Fender did the Illusion Bass-

[url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=e8d676ee-a277-4790-ba2c-aa218be728d3"]http://www.soundsliveshop.com/Products/Pro...2c-aa218be728d3[/url]

:)

[quote name='bythesea' post='503112' date='Jun 1 2009, 05:48 PM']Excellent service and price - arrived the day after I ordered it.[/quote]

Its true,

I have spent a fortune with the Sounds Live guys over the years (Don't tell the wife) and I cant emphasise enough the quality of information and knowledge provided along with superb customer service.

We all know how we pay slightly more in shop than online but i have been pulled out the doo dah on numerous occasions buying strings etc for gigs and sessions and even borrowing equipment from a shop due to the aforementioned customer care.

The internet is a wonderful thing for customers and retailers alike but i think we all have a responsibility to support the local music shops in our towns incase they turn into the next Woolworth's. I personally think a good customer/retailer relationship is a very good position to be in and it cuts both ways.

We will only miss the shops when they have gone :)

Sermon over.

Dave

[quote name='SoundsLive' post='502991' date='Jun 1 2009, 03:15 PM']Hi All,

Below is an official response to the question of the finance button clicked on by GreeneKing:

Able-2-Buy provided an on-line finance service for our customers. Unfortunately, Able-2-Buy went into administration on the 12th May. This can be verified if you search Google for ‘Able 2 Buy’. Google returns this informationbut link to their site no longer works.

Sounds Live are currently in the process of sourcing a new finance provider for our on-line customers, and as you can see from any of our product pages the ‘Finance’ button has been temporarily removed. Please note that in-store customers are unaffected by Able-2-Buy, as we use a different financing house for in-store finance agreements.

As for Sounds Live, we are fit and healthy and will be around to serve both our local, national and international community for years to come! In fact, we are so healthy we are even in the process of launching a brand new website to run along our existing site, which can be found at [url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com"]www.soundsliveshop.com[/url]!

Thanks for the information Bob, how you keeping anyway?

Regards, Tom Cleugh (Director, Sounds Live)[/quote]

Hi Tom, I'm doing fine thanks.

Great that you have sorted this matter out, and can continue to provide excellent service to the muso's of the UK.

I'm still spending too much much money in the shop in Grey Street though.

Apologies for the personal manner of this message, but for those of you that don't know what's going on here, Tom, the co-owner/director of Sounds Live, also used to be one of the "in demand" bass players around the area. So if you reckon you are going to be bored shitless by me rambling and reminiscing about "the good old days in the music scene" - you can escape now.

There were probably only 3 or 4 bass players around the area who could read music and/or play proficiently at the time (comparatively), that was Tom, myself and a certain bloke who I think might have pretended to read music but still got the gigs for some reason, called "Sting". We all knew each other to some degree and used to "dep" (stand in) for each other from time to time at a wide variety of venues with mixed musical requirements. In those days, there was plenty of live music venues and we all cut our teeth the hard way. Of course, I was the youngest and most handsome of the bass playing fraternity :)

Tom and I both worked in a large music shop in Newcastle called Rock City, albeit at different periods, as did Tom's co-director John. So there you have it. It might not be of interest to most, but to those in the area (Newcastle - the biggest "village" in Britain), there is the relevance and short history of Tom and John and Sounds Live - and Toms reference to me in his post above.

And we still speak to John even though he's from Sunderland.

So with particular relevance to this forum, if you ever deal with Sounds Live, you are dealing with a company that is operated by THREE bass players - Tom, John, and also Tom's son. So when it comes to bass and music gear, they do know what they are talking about. But most of you already know that.

[quote name='rslaing' post='503237' date='Jun 1 2009, 07:47 PM']And we still speak to John even though he's from Sunderland.[/quote]
Damn... such a cool story and such a great shop now ruined by one poor choice of birth place. :)

I jest of course. Interesting stuff Rs.

I remember "rock city" very fondly when i was a pup of 14 years old i discovered the electric guitar, i had my school work experience coming up and i remember going in and talking to a nice chap called Jared (who i believe worked/works) for sounds live in newcastle and very kindley got me a place there for a week, it was the catalyst for my love of the bass guitar as i didnt know they existed prior to my visit, i remember i picked up a bass for the first time it was a yamaha if i recall and immediatley fell in love, but not as much as the gorgeous warwick six string streamer they had in all nicely lit and in pride of place, i suppose they were fairly new to the country then and i thought it was the most beautiful thing id ever seen!!!! ive played various warwick streamers over the last 11 years and that instrument was the reason, i was also very fond of a washburn acoustic bass which i used to annoy the staff with as i couldnt play it, i had a great time there and i was given a load of catalogues of warwick and kramer basses which i stuck all over my bedroom wall.
That was 21 years ago man im getting old, sorry to waffle, just loved the story and it brought back a load of memories , i was also very briefly the bass player for thomas mcrocklin who i believe works at sounds live, bought a few thing there in the past always nice guys willing to help.
anyway keep rockin my fellow geordies :lol: - lee

:) :rolleyes:

Eeh...I remember auditioning with Thomas back in the early 90's down the Hoults estate. I think my hair was too short at the time - that's my excuse anyway. Oz (now with Nick Pride and the Pimptones) was on drums.

I also went to school with the lad whose dad owned Rock City.

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' post='503768' date='Jun 2 2009, 01:32 PM']Eeh...I remember auditioning with Thomas back in the early 90's down the Hoults estate. I think my hair was too short at the time - that's my excuse anyway. Oz (now with Nick Pride and the Pimptones)[/quote]

Ha cool!! that would have been when i auditioned, i got the gig and had long hair!!! but they didnt like my bass ( an old ibanez musician) i didnt last long in the gig but it was a waste of time anyway, i went to newcastle college not long after, never met oz but i was in a band with nick pride for a while and a diffrent band with dave wilde from the pimptones, both great guys and fantastic musos, i miss them!!!

cheers mate - lee