Why become a member? ×

Fender Coffee Table

OliverBlackman

I find some of these comments bizarre.. "the tuners aren't in line".?  dont get that one..(probably best to realise that the pic is probably computer generated on certain parts) "The top looks like particle board".  So it looks like MDF.? Really, does it really look like particle board.? Its an Artisan Custom Shop Fender..Thats what an Artisan Fender is.. So they use different parts that you wouldn't find on a period correct Jazz bass..

Im certainly no Fender fan boy but they are damned if they do and damned if they dont. I find most of the basses they keep churning out are just the same bass with a different paint job TBH..    If this was a Sadowsky or a Lull im betting everyone would have their pants down, but a Fender doing something different with a Burl top, Roasted flame maple neck and non period correct appointments... Oh no.. cant have that.. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 3

I think there's a particular paradox in play when it comes to custom shop Fenders that tends to get people's backs up.

The original models, the really highly valued pre CBS models, were all made on a factory production line by a labour force with no luthiery training and designed to be affordable to working musicians.

So Fender custom shop is left trying to justify sky high prices for a recreation of something that was designed to be made cheaply.

In recent years they've done it by offering various relic'd finishes that are allegedly unique to each custom shop intsrument , now that the relic craze seems to have calmed down a bit maybe they've decided figured tops are the way forwards.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

I find some of these comments bizarre.. "the tuners aren't in line".?  dont get that one..

They are in line, but you'd expect straight string pull on a 4-in-line headstock and at this price point, and it isn't there. There's a slight sideways break angle at the nut mostly in the E and A. 

• Like 2

On 19/02/2024 at 00:33, LeftyJ said:

They are in line, but you'd expect straight string pull on a 4-in-line headstock and at this price point, and it isn't there. There's a slight sideways break angle at the nut mostly in the E and A. 

As B5 said it looks like a computer generated image at the headstock end

• Like 1

On 18/02/2024 at 22:08, bubinga5 said:

I find some of these comments bizarre.. "the tuners aren't in line".?  dont get that one..(probably best to realise that the pic is probably computer generated on certain parts) "The top looks like particle board".  So it looks like MDF.? Really, does it really look like particle board.? Its an Artisan Custom Shop Fender..Thats what an Artisan Fender is.. So they use different parts that you wouldn't find on a period correct Jazz bass..

Im certainly no Fender fan boy but they are damned if they do and damned if they dont. I find most of the basses they keep churning out are just the same bass with a different paint job TBH..    If this was a Sadowsky or a Lull im betting everyone would have their pants down, but a Fender doing something different with a Burl top, Roasted flame maple neck and non period correct appointments... Oh no.. cant have that.. 

I’m all for Fender doing cool stuff. I own and play one of these and have owned it from new and it’s one of the best basses over ever played.

Pickups, neck, finish and set up are incredible. 

https://reverb.com/uk/item/42965899-fender-fsr-american-pro-jazz-bass-shell-pink-rosewood-neck

It’s quirky but coherent. The other one doesn’t have any sense of identity or logic driving the decisions.

Another thing that gets on my nerves is the holes in a pickguard for a rest on Japanese basses which is both on the wrong place (on a 62 reissue) and doesn’t have holes underneath.

I love the fantastic wood finishes nuts it a bit over the top this one.

On 18/02/2024 at 23:08, bubinga5 said:

You understand that a computer generated image should be less flawed instead more flawed right? Because you can fix any visual issues with a mouse pointer yeah?

So that would make it worse, the opposite of an excuse for things to look a bit wonky.

That figured top is poorly chosen and looks messy without showing great definition in the grain. That's why it looks like polished particle board. Which you seem to think is the same as MDF? That certainly validates your standpoint.... 🤡

7 hours ago, Bolo said:

You understand that a computer generated image should be less flawed instead more flawed right? Because you can fix any visual issues with a mouse pointer yeah?

So that would make it worse, the opposite of an excuse for things to look a bit wonky.

That figured top is poorly chosen and looks messy without showing great definition in the grain. That's why it looks like polished particle board. Which you seem to think is the same as MDF? That certainly validates your standpoint.... 🤡

A designer creating CGI may not be an instrument maker and understand the design/ functionality of the instrument. To say there is no grain in the top wood, well…..

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

A designer creating CGI may not be an instrument maker and understand the design/ functionality of the instrument. To say there is no grain in the top wood, well…..

Well then they have been poorly briefed. Or they just don't care.

I have a friend who creates 3D models of products that don't yet exist as his very lucrative day job. He won't know the ins and outs of everything he visualises, and when that happens he will ask. If he was working on this image he'd have asked Fender for some wood samples what it is important for him to show on the product, and would have done 3 or 4 low res renders and asked which shows off the product in the best light. He's also obsessive when it comes to details and things like machine heads would be perfectly straight and evenly spaced. Stings would be line up evenly to the edge of the fingerboard and pole pieces would line up exactly with the string paths. If the measurements he was given didn't allow this then he would ask why not and if he should fake it so that they did or if he needed to follow the exact measurements how he should position things to make them look the best. Fender probably couldn't afford him which is why the product images look like crap.

• Like 1