Why become a member? ×

Yet more noob questions

gerryc

I know diddly squat about DB maintenance and have been given the chance to buy a nice looking blonde bass. However there are a few issues, a lot of rattle on F and F# on E string tried card under string at nut end still rattle, card under string at bridge rattle gone, removed card from nut rattle still gone. I was wondering how much (a ballpark figure) a luthier might charge to replace bridge, strings and carry out set up. I'm 74 years old not been playing DB very long, got my other DB just before first lockdown and play mostly Bluegrass and Country.

DB luthiers are very slow and appallingly expensive ... any job that you can tackle yourself is almost certainly worth doing. 

When you say you been "given the chance", do you mean someone is trying to sell you a DB that's in need of work? Or do you mean someone has offered you a valuable bass at a knockdown price because it's in need of work?

And do you actually need two DBs?

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

DB luthiers are very slow and appallingly expensive ... any job that you can tackle yourself is almost certainly worth doing. 

When you say you been "given the chance", do you mean someone is trying to sell you a DB that's in need of work? Or do you mean someone has offered you a valuable bass at a knockdown price because it's in need of work?

And do you actually need two DBs?

Someone is trying to sell me a DB that is in need of some work. Yes you are absolutely right, do I really need two DBs (I think it was more a case of want more than need). Many thanks for the advice

• Like 1

If I understand you correctly, you mainly need the bridge a little higher on the E string, is that right?

How does the action feel on each string?

Is there much rattle on the other strings?

Are there signs of wear on the fingerboard - lengthways grooves?

What type of strings are on it? How do they feel in terms of tension?

If you do opt for a new bridge I would recommend having adjusters installed. It means you can make changes without a luthier and also makes it possible to use some very good pickups like the Realist Lifeline and others that install at the adjusters. 

Nothing wrong with having two DB's, I have a Shen SB 100 with a Lifeline for jazz gigs and for any bowing and a beater Czech bass with a Vic's Model B (or similar) pickup for bluegrass and some outdoor work.

Confession: I also have an EUB, Yamaha SLB 200 and all three instruments get played regularly. I have huge amount of GAS for a good hybrid or carved DB but at almost 78 I will get by with what I have now....I think.😉

3 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Who are you, and what have you done with the real @Happy Jack ?

Bwahahahahaha!!!

In truth, I have ... ahem ... well actually I have ... erm ... four DBs of varying size and design.

BUT (and it's a big BUT) there's no real overlap between them and they are all for different purposes.

So there.

😏

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

New bridge = £200 to £300 fitted.  Decent new strings £230.  'taint cheap this doublebassin'.

You may get 2nd hand strings from these pages.  Fitting your own bridge is not "that" hard but it's labourious ( lots of sanding feet) and there's a risk of dropping your sound post while doing it.  A cheap bridge blank is £50, £120 with adjusters.  Or £140 for one with "self levelling feet" ( not brill sound wise but easier to fit).

There's usually a reason why a cheap double bass is cheap! Bit like buying a cheap Porsche and finding it needs new tyres ( and brakes ).

14 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Bwahahahahaha!!!

In truth, I have ... ahem ... well actually I have ... erm ... four DBs of varying size and design.

BUT (and it's a big BUT) there's no real overlap between them and they are all for different purposes.

So there.

😏

One strung with rounds, I guess.  One fretted... one for metal.  Erm, struggling here....

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, gerryc said:

I know diddly squat about DB maintenance and have been given the chance to buy a nice looking blonde bass. However there are a few issues, a lot of rattle on F and F# on E string tried card under string at nut end still rattle, card under string at bridge rattle gone, removed card from nut rattle still gone. I was wondering how much (a ballpark figure) a luthier might charge to replace bridge, strings and carry out set up. I'm 74 years old not been playing DB very long, got my other DB just before first lockdown and play mostly Bluegrass and Country.

I recently had my bridge converted to adjustable, I was reccomended a luthier who will do it by mail. That could be a solution - adjust the bridge up a couple of mm?

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of incurring the righteous wrath of Basschatters everywhere, if you just want your bridge a bit higher and not to spend £00s one option is to get a piece of cork, a craft knife and cut a couple of square shims to go under the bridge feet. It moulds to the shape of the feet/top due to the pressure, and maybe you lose a little vibration but 1.if you’re amping from the bridge wing it will make very little difference 2.you’re playing bluegrass not orchestral stuff. After a luthier randomly butchered my bridge on what was then my only bass, I put some cork shims under the feet and used it for regular gigging and recording for about 5 years. 

• Like 4

On 30/01/2024 at 15:17, gerryc said:

Someone is trying to sell me a DB that is in need of some work. Yes you are absolutely right, do I really need two DBs (I think it was more a case of want more than need).

He’s got me confused … how on earth could that happen to anyone ? You’re weird Mister 🧐

• Haha 1

On 09/02/2024 at 20:33, AndyBass said:

At the risk of incurring the righteous wrath of Basschatters everywhere, if you just want your bridge a bit higher and not to spend £00s one option is to get a piece of cork, a craft knife and cut a couple of square shims to go under the bridge feet. It moulds to the shape of the feet/top due to the pressure, and maybe you lose a little vibration but 1.if you’re amping from the bridge wing it will make very little difference 2.you’re playing bluegrass not orchestral stuff. After a luthier randomly butchered my bridge on what was then my only bass, I put some cork shims under the feet and used it for regular gigging and recording for about 5 years. 

Couldn't agree more, that is the avenue I will probably be going down if I buy the bass. Just like to say many thanks for all the replies and advice offered.