Why become a member? ×

Amplified Acoustic bass

honza992

13 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

That looks a lot like someone has scribbled in Biro on paper resting on the surface.  More of an indentation than a scratch?

Ummm...yes, it was me🙄 With my fingernail.  What a numpty.  The Osmo definitely goes on soft to begin with.  I think I remember this from last time.  It does get hard, but is takes a couple of weeks.  I should try steaming it out. 

• Thanks 1

Shellac and french polishing is such a joy.  No drama, no drips and a low gloss finish is achievable very quickly.  This is 6 very relaxing sessions of 20 minutes.  I skipped the 'polishing' part of french polishing and I'm leaving it like this.  Assuming the guitar doesn't explode once I've strung it up, I may go back and polish it up to get it high gloss.....

IMG_20240214_122834.jpg

• Like 6

The finishing is ...finished.  This is 100% prototype, so I've not too worried about imperfections.  Both the french polish and the Osmo I think have worked nicely.  I'll do a proper write up on the finishes another day.  There's still a bit more setup to do.  Albeit with only a tiny amount of curve in the neck there's no fret buzz, so I may not bother fret levelling, they're level enough already.  And the neck joint I designed to have shims inserted to dial in the correct bridge height, but again it's pretty much spot, none needed. There was a lot of new stuff for me in this build, including a pretty complicated neck joint, so to have the geometry all line up is really satisfying.  The nut and saddle need work, and there's a bit of tidying here and there, but mostly it's done.  I'll try taking some proper photos not under the clinical lights of the workshop, but here it is warts n all:

IMG_20240216_192557.jpg

IMG_20240216_192626.jpg

• Like 13

Strings - if anyone wants to chime in with string suggestions, that would be great.  I've tried some D'Addario black tapewounds, and Thomastik TI Jazz flats, and I think I prefer the TIs.  I need to buy some phosphor bronze to give those a try as well.  

The scale length is 31.25 inches, but because of the tailpiece,  standard 34" strings fit on perfectly.  

12 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

La Bella flats

a) how do I buy it?

b) how do I buy it?

c) see a) and b)

Ha ha hold your horses!  Did I mention the feedback?  Wait for the full rundown before you send me the monopoly money🤣

But thanks for the compliment, it really means a lot.

Edited by honza992
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Don’t bother with phosphor bronze.

ive got 40-100 roto on mine, but will likely go 40-95 chromes on it and my BEX

Yep, instinctively I feel as though phosphor bronze isn't right.  But it's probably worth at least giving them a go. 

And Chromes could be a good choice.  Even the 40-95s are significantly higher tension than tapewounds though.  And until it's been strung up a while with something lower tension, the additional tension of the Chromes worries me a bit.  But it wouldn't surprise me at all if they aren't the final choice.  Or La Bella Flats as @Frank Blank suggests.  I think I've got some Deep talkin tapewounds  - does anyone know if they have blue silks?

Edited by honza992
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, honza992 said:

Yep, instinctively I feel as though phosphor bronze isn't right.  But it's probably worth at least giving them a go. 

And Chromes could be a good choice.  Even the 40-95s are significantly higher tension than tapewounds though.  And until it's been strung up a while with something lower tension, the additional tension of the Chromes worries me a bit.  But it wouldn't surprise me at all if they aren't the final choice.  Or La Bella Flats as @Frank Blank suggests.  I think I've got some Deep talkin tapewounds  - does anyone know if they have blue silks?

I found bronze a bit zingy and bright 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, honza992 said:

The finishing is ...finished.  This is 100% prototype, so I've not too worried about imperfections.  Both the french polish and the Osmo I think have worked nicely.  I'll do a proper write up on the finishes another day.  There's still a bit more setup to do.  Albeit with only a tiny amount of curve in the neck there's no fret buzz, so I may not bother fret levelling, they're level enough already.  And the neck joint I designed to have shims inserted to dial in the correct bridge height, but again it's pretty much spot, none needed. There was a lot of new stuff for me in this build, including a pretty complicated neck joint, so to have the geometry all line up is really satisfying.  The nut and saddle need work, and there's a bit of tidying here and there, but mostly it's done.  I'll try taking some proper photos not under the clinical lights of the workshop, but here it is warts n all:

IMG_20240216_192557.jpg

IMG_20240216_192626.jpg

I don’t see any actual warts. So if I have notice that @Frank Blank has accidentally cut his head off whilst shaving and then fallen out of a nine floor window, I mean just supposing… can I then be on pole position to relieve you of this immense burden ? 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I don’t see any actual warts. So if I have notice that @Frank Blank has accidentally cut his head off whilst shaving and then fallen out of a nine floor window, I mean just supposing… can I then be on pole position to relieve you of this immense burden ? 

Should exactly this tragic chain of events befall poor @Frank Blank, you better have a pretty solid alibi to hand....But yes, under those limited set of circumstances, it's yours.

And if @Geek99 is run over by a Maserati test driver while hitchhiking through Italy, disguised as a nun to evade intepol, on the way to make his purchase...?

Silly jokes aside - it is a thing of beauty.

Edited by Richard R
Typo...

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

And if @Geek99 is run over by a Maserati test driver while hitchhiking through Italy, disguised as a nun to evade intepol, on the way to make his purchase...?

Silly jokes aside - it is a thing of beauty.

I assume that you’ll be dressed as Mother Superior (not much change there then) in order to lull me into a false sense of security. It’s a disguise for me but a lifelong habit for @Richard R

• Haha 3

Wow! Beautiful work sir!

I’m a fan of the ABG currently owning two. I’ve tried lots of different strings but settled on La Bella low tension flats for the best compromise of acoustic volume vs finger noise. 

• Like 1

On 24/02/2024 at 13:13, JPJ said:

Wow! Beautiful work sir!

I’m a fan of the ABG currently owning two. I’ve tried lots of different strings but settled on La Bella low tension flats for the best compromise of acoustic volume vs finger noise. 

Thanks JPJ.  I actually had a set of LB LTFs in my box of strings, took them out only to find they are medium not long scale.  Next to try are Chromes.  Then some Roundwounds.....I'd really like to try these, which are made in Italy from copper and sugar, if the marketing blurb is to be believed.  On the other hand they 70 quid.  Which seems almost comical for a set of bass strings.  Just how good can they be?  Something tells me I'm still not going to be Jaco even after handing over my cash.....

https://aquilacorde.com/en/flat-spirals-bass-strings/

Edited by honza992
  • Like 1

On 24/02/2024 at 13:46, mrbacco said:

well ... this is what I, as a beginner, look for in terms of learning. Thanks for sharing this beauty! 🙂  

You are very welcome. 😊  Shout up with any questions if the have any.  I've learnt so much here!

18 hours ago, itu said:

The next bass could have the volume/tone pot, or a switch hidden to the bridge.

You probably want to avoid adding too much weight to the bridge area.  I did think about putting them under a pickguard like archtops often do, but in the end the pickguard just didn't look right on a bass.  I may well re-think for the next one though. 

• Like 1