Why become a member? ×

NBD - I know some BC members won't like it - but I do

Marc S

I love my Longhorn, it's a 90's Korean one, in what is best described as Pinkburst. I wanted one ever since I saw Eric Drew Feldman play one in Beefheart's magic band in NY in 1980. Its sounded immense. Jack Bruce used one, and Entwistle, so that was enough for me. I've had it over 20 years now, and gig it quite a lot, it was my only bass for a Dutch tour a few years ago. It may look a bit woolworths, but it's been very roadworthy, and despite only having a soft bag for it, it remains unmarked. It's ridiculously low weight means it's going to be used more and more now I'm officially old and decrepit. 

IMG_2115.thumb.JPG.18ed2ede23b404f492d4fe97a369edc6.JPG

Young Jack:

big_jack_bruce.jpg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Skin Lewis said:

I love my Longhorn, it's a 90's Korean one, in what is best described as Pinkburst. I wanted one ever since I saw Eric Drew Feldman play one in Beefheart's magic band in NY in 1980. Its sounded immense. Jack Bruce used one, and Entwistle, so that was enough for me. I've had it over 20 years now, and gig it quite a lot, it was my only bass for a Dutch tour a few years ago. It may look a bit woolworths, but it's been very roadworthy, and despite only having a soft bag for it, it remains unmarked. It's ridiculously low weight means it's going to be used more and more now I'm officially old and decrepit. 

IMG_2115.thumb.JPG.18ed2ede23b404f492d4fe97a369edc6.JPG

Young Jack:

big_jack_bruce.jpg

🤩

Used to watch Shindig on TV , Delaney Bramlett was the bass player and used a Longhorn. The shape was noticeably unique. I had no idea they were an entry level instrument , I just assumed they cost what the Rickenbackers and Gretsches did. There were never any Danos around in Eastern Canada , just rebadged Silvertones. So when the reissues first came out I realized what the Longhorns were , and wanted one.

I didn’t think I’d become a Dano guy. It completely changed my concept of just what it was that made an instrument a good one. I kinda became known as a cheap bass , nice amp guy. 

IMG_9774.jpeg

Edited by msb
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, msb said:

* The shape was noticeably unique. I had no idea they were an entry level instrument......

* I didn’t think I’d become a Dano guy......

* It completely changed my concept of just what it was that made an instrument a good one.....

As they didn't ever seem to come up for sale, and as I'd never seen one in a local shop, and partly because I wasn't initially keen on the shape / design - I didn't know whether they were entry-level, or top level either.

Never thought I'd become a "Dano Guy" either, but this one has got me smitten with them.

Same here. I had probably read about them being made of Masonite, but would have considered that too flimsy to make a guitar that could stand up to gigging / touring.

It's worth me repeating here (I think) that Richard Hawley uses a Dano guitar at gigs, among his Gretsch, Ricks, Gibsons and Fenders. So they're obviously up to the job, even at pro level. I'm taking mine to a few full band rehearsals this week. I just know it's going to get comments and raise a few eyebrows (especially from my rock covers band) but I can't wait to hear it in a full band situation. I've plugged it into 3 different amps so far, and my practice headphones, and it just sounds so awesome. As I've said, I don't think I have ever been so taken aback about a bass guitar before.

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments guys :) 
Although I'm at full capacity, plus one on my collection of basses - I'd grab one of those models with the f-hole if one came up nearby! lol

EDIT: I'll hopefully be jamming with full band on Sunday, and using my recently acquired Acoustic Image "Double Shot" cab with the Dano. I really can't wait to hear that, as I'm sure the Double Shot will help the Dano sound even better

Edited by Marc S

This thread has got my GAS stoked.  I've had a couple of these longhorns in the past, plus a '56 single cut shorty and a DC long scale.  Tone-wise all the same meat but with different gravy.  But, damnation Marc, I fancy a longhorn now (ooh matron etc) :D 

• Haha 1

I had a three pickup Hodad.  Super light, super weird, kinda wish I kept it - but at the time I didn't know how to get the best out of it and was on a mission to consume as many basses as I could.

image.thumb.png.ced3709e5fa2dabfd0eafab57ad5e253.png

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

These NBD threads are dangerous and can arouse GASeous urges for the strangest of things.

image.png.e7d05159949ea5711c19dc615d90a3cd.png

That's probably the one and only double neck I'd stand a fighting chance of wearing for more than 5 minutes.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul S said:

That's probably the one and only double neck I'd stand a fighting chance of wearing for more than 5 minutes.

My thoughts exactly. Always fancied a Gibson/Epiphone 1275 (very Page/Lifeson) but I'd never be able to play it for more than a minute or so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

This thread has got my GAS stoked.  I've had a couple of these longhorns in the past, plus a '56 single cut shorty and a DC long scale.  Tone-wise all the same meat but with different gravy.  But, damnation Marc, I fancy a longhorn now (ooh matron etc) :D 

Well - it all comes full circle @Paul S - it was talking to you that helped encourage me to go for this one good sir :) 
15 all - your serve ;) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

An old friend has a baritone/standard six double neck. It’s not heavy , slightly awkward  (like any double neck). And he didn’t break the bank buying it. He’s got a nice collection of vintage Silvertones , including a couple made by Danelectro. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Look, Marc, just stop it.  :D 

Mercifully it is collection only from Shropshire....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, edstraker123 said:

I sold my mint blueburst one to a work colleague for £100 ( what was I thinking)

Wow! Wish I'd bought that from you for £100. 😱 

Take consolation in the fact that we've all done such things at some point....

• Like 1

It wasn't my cup of tea either @crazycloud - but honestly, I have never before changed my opinion quite so much.

I took the bass to rehearsal with my African / fusion band last night. I usually play electro-acoustic upright in that band. Everyone was surprised to see me pull the Dano out of the gigbag, and they all loved it - especially the sound.
That "woody" tone really sat beautifully with the acoustic guitar, fiddle, mandolin, flute and the Kora. I sometimes double-up with this band, mostly playing upright with a couple on Bass Guitar -Something tells me I'm going to be playing a few more on BG, now I have the Dano. Our Kora player absolutely loved the tone of it, particularly on some of the long slides I was doing.

Tonight, I'm jamming with my 5 piece rock covers band - but honestly, I think this bass will be my mainstay :) 
EDIT: I won't be surprised if this bass sits perfectly in this band too. If you do get chance to try one out crazycloud - go for it

PS. @Grahambythesea  I enjoyed that Surfrajettes video, and I can assure you, I haven't got the legs for surf music ;) 

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1