Why become a member? ×

IEM advice

redd

Hi all, 

Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for IEM custom moulds in the UK?

It would be great if I could buy my own IEMs and get custom.moulds.

Thanks in adance!

ReDD

• Like 1

I have ACS ambients and I love them. I mainly use them for playing double bass I take a feed from my tuner pedal into a little amp them into the IEMs. I'm starting to use them when singing as well now, but that's a work in progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rosie. I literally just got another recommendation from a friend for the same company. 

I've been trying out various models. I used the Shure 215s cheapish ones for a bit but for bass they were not great. Upgraded to some Mackie's which were better for bass reference but I've struggled to get them to fit well. I think I've actually hurt my ears by using them, did a LOUD gig just before Christmas and my left IEM kept falling out and I stupidly kept turning up to compensate. 

Thought the moulded ones might be the solution. 👍🏻👍🏻

Edited by redd
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, redd said:

Thanks Rosie. I literally just got another recommendation from a friend for the same company. 

I've been trying out various models. I used the Shure 215s cheapish ones for a bit but for bass they were not great. Upgraded to some Mackie's which were better for bass reference but I've struggled to get them to fit well. I think I've actually hurt my ears by using them, did a LOUD gig just before Christmas and my left IEM kept falling out and I stupidly kept turning up to compensate. 

Thought the moulded ones might be the solution. 👍🏻👍🏻

My go-to recommendation for a UK manufacturer is Cosmic Ears. I'm a touring monitor engineer so spend an enormous amount of time with them stuck in my head. I've been very happy with the service I've had from them, and with the IEMs themselves (CE6P), they sound fantastic. I had an issue with the cable connector and they were very responsive and got it sorted quickly too. 

Moulded IEM are a big investment, but they're night and day compared to generic-fit models. The isolation is fantastic.

One thing worth bearing in mind is that getting high end IEMs will expose the limitations in the rest of your monitoring setup! You'll likely want to add ambient mics to your mix as the isolation from outside noise is so effective. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mike257 said:

My go-to recommendation for a UK manufacturer is Cosmic Ears.

+1

I have the version of the CE6P (CE6B?) that favoured bass frequencies but don't see that on their site now.  Pretty sure  @Higgie has CE IEMs as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But if you decide to go for US made ones and are near Hertfordshire, hit up these guys:
http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/index.html

UK reseller for most of the major brands.  They do temporary moulds so you can try out different brands and models, and deal with the whole process of ordering and deals with any support issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mike257 said:

My go-to recommendation for a UK manufacturer is Cosmic Ears. I'm a touring monitor engineer so spend an enormous amount of time with them stuck in my head. I've been very happy with the service I've had from them, and with the IEMs themselves (CE6P), they sound fantastic. I had an issue with the cable connector and they were very responsive and got it sorted quickly too. 

Moulded IEM are a big investment, but they're night and day compared to generic-fit models. The isolation is fantastic.

One thing worth bearing in mind is that getting high end IEMs will expose the limitations in the rest of your monitoring setup! You'll likely want to add ambient mics to your mix as the isolation from outside noise is so effective. 

Hi Mike, 

Do you mean adding ambient mics to avoid that feeling of detachment you get on stage? 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for answering this thread guys, I knew I could count on basschatters for decent advice! 

Just realised after a quick Google that Cosmic ears are just down the road from me as well! Result!

• Like 1

Lugs and Snugs do moulds that fit generic/universal headphones. It's a bit cheaper than buying 'proper' moulded in ears but there's a lot of cost in taking the impressions so I'm not sure how much you might save. Equally spending hundreds on in-ears without being able to give them a proper audition first scares the pants off me. At least using your own earbuds means you get to hear them before the big expense. I'm about to try this route too so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Lugs and Snugs do moulds that fit generic/universal headphones. It's a bit cheaper than buying 'proper' moulded in ears but there's a lot of cost in taking the impressions so I'm not sure how much you might save. Equally spending hundreds on in-ears without being able to give them a proper audition first scares the pants off me. At least using your own earbuds means you get to hear them before the big expense. I'm about to try this route too so fingers crossed.

It's tricky for sure. I've tried cheapish shures and then upgraded to Mackie's (still cheap). Unfortunately I ignored my normal mantra of 'buy cheap, buy twice'. I should have just bought the bullet and got IEMs with 3/4/5 or more drivers and custom moulded fits. Bass response just isn't there on the cheaper ones imho and the fittings are inconsistent at best. Probably would have saved myself 500 quid or so, ah well. 

• Like 1

I've gone back from my Cosmic Ears (I think only 3 drivers) that I've used for years to using a pair of Future Sonic G10s which are just a generic fit, but have a 10mm dynamic driver.

I don't know whether the Cosmic Ears model I went for (must be pushing 10 years ago now if not longer) aren't high enough spec, or if it's a dynamic driver vs balanced armature thing, but with the Future Sonics the bass is just so much fuller and sounds fantastic.

I'm constantly flip flopping backwards and forwards between deciding to invest serious cash in a new pair of high spec customs, or just carrying on with the G10s.

Ive been loking at all the usual suspects, but my experience with Cosmic Ears has meant im only looking at makes/models that include at least one dynamic driver for the low end. Im aware I might be maligning all balanced armatures based on very limited exposure though.

Future Sonics also do a dynamic driver custom mould IEM, which unlike a lot of the other more well known companies is just one big driver. They've got the usual impressive list of clients, but obviously you've no way of knowing whether they were gifted a pair and never used them in anger, or thought they were the best thing since sliced bread!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AxelF said:

I've gone back from my Cosmic Ears (I think only 3 drivers) that I've used for years to using a pair of Future Sonic G10s which are just a generic fit, but have a 10mm dynamic driver.

I don't know whether the Cosmic Ears model I went for (must be pushing 10 years ago now if not longer) aren't high enough spec, or if it's a dynamic driver vs balanced armature thing, but with the Future Sonics the bass is just so much fuller and sounds fantastic.

I'm constantly flip flopping backwards and forwards between deciding to invest serious cash in a new pair of high spec customs, or just carrying on with the G10s.

Ive been loking at all the usual suspects, but my experience with Cosmic Ears has meant im only looking at makes/models that include at least one dynamic driver for the low end. Im aware I might be maligning all balanced armatures based on very limited exposure though.

Future Sonics also do a dynamic driver custom mould IEM, which unlike a lot of the other more well known companies is just one big driver. They've got the usual impressive list of clients, but obviously you've no way of knowing whether they were gifted a pair and never used them in anger, or thought they were the best thing since sliced bread!

Not on the same level of quality but I've gone from the KZ10 to Sennheiser IE100 which I concede are budget models but I much prefer the tone of the IE100 with the single DD as opposed to the 5 in the KZs.  However, the main reasons for the change was that I could never get a comfortable fit and isolation with the KZs whereas the smaller, lighter, low profile IE100s just fit and seal much better for my ear shape.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Not on the same level of quality but I've gone from the KZ10 to Sennheiser IE100 which I concede are budget models but I much prefer the tone of the IE100 with the single DD as opposed to the 5 in the KZs.  However, the main reasons for the change was that I could never get a comfortable fit and isolation with the KZs whereas the smaller, lighter, low profile IE100s just fit and seal much better for my ear shape.  

I think this is the main factor for me. I had a terrible few gigs where I was trying various different fittings, the PA was loud and as my IEMs moved, fell out, got aggressively shoved back in my ear, I think I have damaged my ears. I'm 51 and have had slight tinnitus for a long time (misspent youth playing in thrash metal bands). Since these few recent gigs I've had constant loud ringing in my ears.  I'm not sure if it's purely loud volumes or pressure or whatever. Hence the moulds. Think this might be the answer to avoid any further ear related nonsense. 

• Like 2

I've worn ear plugs (inc custom moulds) for 20+ years so I've saved 'some' of my hearing but I know damage was done before that (slight tinnitus and less top end hearing in my left ear).  IEM should further reduce on stage volumes/DB/pressure (where it is practicable to use them) but I still have to contend with loud acoustic drummers and situations where IEMing is not available!  :/  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

We've gone the same route which I think we've talked about on other threads. The thing is that when you get the fit worked out and sufficient isolation both can work well and of course the bass response depends more upon the seal than upon the drivers. The mid range on the IE100's is much cleaner though. When they are seated properly at the beginning of the gig both give crazily good sound compared with floor monitors, so far I've struggled to keep that sound for whole gigs. Hence the move to moulds which I hope will solve the problem of keeping the seal/isolation and the same response I have at the beginning of the gig.

3 hours ago, redd said:

I think this is the main factor for me. I had a terrible few gigs where I was trying various different fittings, the PA was loud and as my IEMs moved, fell out, got aggressively shoved back in my ear, I think I have damaged my ears. I'm 51 and have had slight tinnitus for a long time (misspent youth playing in thrash metal bands). Since these few recent gigs I've had constant loud ringing in my ears.  I'm not sure if it's purely loud volumes or pressure or whatever. Hence the moulds. Think this might be the answer to avoid any further ear related nonsense. 

This ^

My hearing is already much reduced and I have constant tinnitus. Since wearing the in-ears I don't get the ringing in my ears the day after each gig. Any ringing in your ears after a gig is a sure sign of damage. I so wish I had started wearing them earlier.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sharkfinger said:

+1

I have the version of the CE6P (CE6B?) that favoured bass frequencies but don't see that on their site now.  Pretty sure  @Higgie has CE IEMs as well.

Yes I use the CE6B models. I'm afraid they have since been discontinued as I found out recently when going to buy another pair. Cosmic informs me they are able to modify their 6P model to give a more 6B like response, but are also apparently bringing a new model out that will "replace" the 6B in their line up, so I'm waiting for those to drop before I make my mind up on whether to get those or some modified 6Ps. Another thing for me to bear in mind is, now I'm using a Porter and Davies BC2 stool, the added low end of the 6B can be too much at times, so maybe this time round I will just get the 6P for a flatter response.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, redd said:

Thanks everyone for replying. Really appreciate your answers. Going to go for some moulds over the next week or so. 

Have you tried smaller IEM’s? I was in the same position as you last year. Not a song when buy where i wasn't find doing with my right ear. I just couldn't get it to stay in snugly. I have very flat ears.

I tried a pair of Sennheiser IE100 Pros and couldn't believe how snug they were. I still used memory foam tips as i dont like the other types, but i can easily get through a  gig or 4 hour rehearsal without having to touch them. I upgraded to IE400’s as they have a bit more body to them, but i have no itch to go custom anymore……well, not this week lol.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sharkfinger said:

But if you decide to go for US made ones and are near Hertfordshire, hit up these guys:
http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/index.html

UK reseller for most of the major brands.  They do temporary moulds so you can try out different brands and models, and deal with the whole process of ordering and deals with any support issues.

10 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Paul at custom IEM company - don’t go anywhere else! He deals in the best.

I’ll soon be getting a set of (most likely) Ultimate Ears UE-6 Pro after Paul was very highly recommended by two of my band members.

• Like 2

On 27/01/2024 at 14:01, redd said:

Thanks everyone for replying. Really appreciate your answers. Going to go for some moulds over the next week or so. 

One thing to bear in mind; when I got mine done from CE, they only accepted moulds from 'approved' audiologist.   EDIT: it has been pointed out that this is not true, they are accepted but fit not guaranteed.  See the reply here:

Edited by Sharkfinger
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, redd said:

Hi Mike, 

Do you mean adding ambient mics to avoid that feeling of detachment you get on stage? 

Yes, I'll always put ambient mics out when I'm mixing monitors for IEM. Usually a small condenser mic at each side of stage, firing up in to the room (you often see them pointed straight at the crowd, but I find you get too much "front row chatting" that way). Some people like them subtly in the mix, most likely them just pushed up in between songs so you can get the vibe of the crowd that you can't hear naturally because of the isolation. 

18 hours ago, redd said:

Just realised after a quick Google that Cosmic ears are just down the road from me as well! Result!

Yep, they're in the outer fringes of Manchester. If you speak to Mike at Cosmic, feel free to tell him Mike Prosser sent you along and he'll look after you!

16 hours ago, AxelF said:

@AxelF the usual advice is that because our ears keep growing throughout our whole life, any custom fit IEMs or plugs are generally only good for 4-5 years before the fit won't be quite right and the isolation suffers. Low end response is the first thing affected if the fit isn't right. If your Cosmics are 10 years old, I'm not at all surprised if the bass feels lacking to be honest!

9 hours ago, Higgie said:

Yes I use the CE6B models. I'm afraid they have since been discontinued as I found out recently when going to buy another pair. Cosmic informs me they are able to modify their 6P model to give a more 6B like response, but are also apparently bringing a new model out that will "replace" the 6B in their line up, so I'm waiting for those to drop before I make my mind up on whether to get those or some modified 6Ps. Another thing for me to bear in mind is, now I'm using a Porter and Davies BC2 stool, the added low end of the 6B can be too much at times, so maybe this time round I will just get the 6P for a flatter response.

@Higgie I've had a couple of artists on the 6B, but generally speaking I don't think there's any need for more low end than the standard 6P gives you. The response is great, and I've used them to prep FOH mixes with multitrack recordings, and the low end has translated really well once I throw it in the PA. If you really feel you need it, you can always bump a little low shelf on the EQ but there's plenty bass in the standard models. 

6 hours ago, Sharkfinger said:

One thing to bear in mind; when I got mine done from CE, they only accepted moulds from 'approved' audiologist.  

@Sharkfinger They'll only guarantee the fit if it's from an approved audiologist. Cosmic use second-bend impressions, which are a little deeper down the ear canal than some others use, and they issue specific guidelines for audiologists to follow when taking the moulds.  They will accept moulds that aren't from their approved people, but if you use the approved ones and the fit needs tweaking, I think (if I recall correctly) they'll do the first adjustment for free. If you're up north, their in-house person does weekly appointments at Cosmic's place in Manchester, and their recommended person in London is Gisele who does the fitting for all the majority brands for all the big artists and is wonderful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mike257 said:

@Sharkfinger They'll only guarantee the fit if it's from an approved audiologist. Cosmic use second-bend impressions, which are a little deeper down the ear canal than some others use, and they issue specific guidelines for audiologists to follow when taking the moulds.  They will accept moulds that aren't from their approved people, but if you use the approved ones and the fit needs tweaking, I think (if I recall correctly) they'll do the first adjustment for free. If you're up north, their in-house person does weekly appointments at Cosmic's place in Manchester, and their recommended person in London is Gisele who does the fitting for all the majority brands for all the big artists and is wonderful. 

Thanks for the clarification, you’re absolutely right.
Yeah, Gisele really takes great care with her work, easy to see why she’s the go-to.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update:

Went to Cosmic Ears and ordered some IEMS. Just waiting on the order!

Cosmic were brilliant, really helpful and really knew their stuff. 

Thanks again for all the advice!

• Like 4