Why become a member? ×

Wiiiiiide straps

I gots me a bad back, so I likes me a nice wide strap. Spread the weight and all that.

Got one of these t'other day : https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEKATO-Neoprene-Adjustable-Acoustic-Electric/dp/B0885SSQ56/

It's a combination of a fantastic 3.5 inch wide synthetic neoprene memory foam padded strap (the bit that rests on your body) and "standard" nylon strap extension with pleather ends. The "body" of the strap moulds exactly to my body, spreads the weight perfectly (my SG feels basically weightless wearing this) and doesn't catch on skin or clothing even when I'm sweating. Everything else about it is cheap junk, however, the pleather ends creak and catch, the plastic strap extender is flimsy and doesn't move freely, and is basically always in the right position to catch / scuff against the back of the instrument.

Anyone know a nice wide strap that doesn't either cost the earth or have a load of plastic rubbish stuck on it? I usually use a leather 2-piece strap but can't find any that are wider than 2.5 inches, I'd love it if there was something like this neoprene strap body with the normal threaded 2-piece structure.

Or if anyone knows the make of straps Josh Fossgreen & Mark Smith use on the YouTubes that would be good too, they both seem to wear super-wide 5 inch straps - Josh is 6 foot 7(!) and the strap he normally wears looks wide on him, so that must be a monster.

8 minutes ago, spyder said:

I had a super thick strap like that, but with (silicone) straplocks on it always ended up unscrewing the strap buttons on my guitar over time sad face emoji. Really looking for one with "normal" thickness at the ends.

2 minutes ago, SamIAm said:

That second Levys one looks nice, but appears to have the same issue as the Lekato with the plastic strap extenders. The connector at the front looks like it's in exactly the right position to constantly scrape the back of the top horn on an SG.

What the Christ is going on with those Lekato product videos? Both of those amazon pages have videos at the bottom with stone cold freaks spouting a load of incoherent shite over the absolute worst background music.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, naxos10 said:

I use a 4" wide Leathergraft which seems to have nulified the shoulder pain I was getting when using Levy and Comfort Stapp.

+1 for Leathergraft.

4 inch wide leather / neoprene / suede sandwich for the padded area, and leather / suede sandwich for the 1 inch wide strap. Both keyholes have a tear-proof flexible-plastic reinforcement piece between the leather and suede. 

I don't need or use anything else.

David

• Like 2

I use this: 

image.thumb.png.81512293073ff21388a67b6afce035d1.png

Harley Benton Wide Leather Padded Strap BK

Material: Suede

With 6 mm memory-foam velvet padding across the strap's entire length

Width: 85 mm

Length adjustable from 105 to 150 cm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_wide_leather_padded_strap_bk.htm

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

5 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I use this: 

Harley Benton Wide Leather Padded Strap BK

Material: Suede

With 6 mm memory-foam velvet padding across the strap's entire length

Width: 85 mm

Length adjustable from 105 to 150 cm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_wide_leather_padded_strap_bk.htm

That looks great, but are both sides suede or is one finished leather? Like to be able to move the guitar up and down without pulling my tshirt with it.

14 minutes ago, Schlippy said:

That looks great, but are both sides suede or is one finished leather? Like to be able to move the guitar up and down without pulling my tshirt with it.

Then that strap probably isn't for you.

It's fairly grippy.

Most people are interested in the exact opposite, to battle neck dive issues.

27 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Most people are interested in the exact opposite, to battle neck dive issues.

Yeah, I tend to use my right forearm to hold the bass at the angle I want rather than relying on the strap, I move about a lot and adjust the angle and position all the time. And obvs with an SG that thing wants to divebomb like a kamikaze pilot.

24 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

I use a Neotech Megastrap on each of my basses. The only time I get shoulder pain is if I tense up for some reason.

Ooh, that looks good, shame about the plastic extender (I love how the two piece ladder designs don't "sag" over time) but probly the best I've seen so far. Memory foam FTW, it's soooooo comfortable.

• 3 weeks later...

Aha, finally another slippy strap lover like myself. I hate a grippy strap pulling at your clothing all the time. I like to be able to slide it around. 

I've found the Mono Betty to be my favourite. Wide, padded, strong metal fixings and not grippy. 

They do seem to to have leapt up in price, I'm sure I only paid about £30 for mine, but it was some years ago, but there ya go, they last for years.