Why become a member? ×

Guitar Gear Giveaway

TimR

Has anyone had a punt on anybody these fantastic chances to win a bass?

It's a very well constructed facebook page with seemingly good reviews and comments spelled correctly and from people in the UK.

Obviously they make their money from selling more tickets than the guitar is worth, so slim chance of winning.

https://guitargeargiveaway.co.uk

Edited by TimR

Might be legit, might not.

Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

There's an epidemic of fraud online and the social media companies don't seem able or willing to deal with it themselves and the UK police simply don't have the resources to address the thousands of attempted frauds perpetrated on those platforms every single day.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

These competitions are legit and are regulated too. They’re also hugely profitable for the companies who operate them. It’s gambling so I’m instantly out but it’s a small enough amount that it wouldn’t destroy your life.

7 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

Hmmmm… not so much a “giveaway” then… a paid raffle, tombola or lottery…

Technically it's a "competition" as you have to answer a question, and you can enter free by post; the classic get around for running "gambling that isn't gambling"

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TimR said:

I spent £25 on lottery tickets last year. I'm sure £1.50 on an odd bass raffle when a nice one pops up isn't going to turn me into an uncontrolled addict. 

I'm not one for gambling, slot machines or the like...

Raffle for a cause i see different.

As long as the guitar thing isn't a scam, and someone actually wins... and you can afford the ticket cost.

Edited by PaulThePlug

7 hours ago, Killerfridge said:

Technically it's a "competition" as you have to answer a question, and you can enter free by post; the classic get around for running "gambling that isn't gambling"

Those used to be common here. I haven't seen one in so long I forgot all about it. I guess the loophole was closed. Will look it up later.

11 hours ago, TimR said:

I spent £25 on lottery tickets last year. I'm sure £1.50 on an odd bass raffle when a nice one pops up isn't going to turn me into an uncontrolled addict. 

It’s a slippery slope. You could find yourself covered in that weird foil from scratchcards, unable to play bass as your hand is permanently grasping an imaginary coin ready to scrape your way to untold riches.

• Haha 2

I may have bought three lottery tickets in the last 30 years. Maybe only 2. Jackpot clearances. They give you a little less abysmal odds of winning exponentially more.

Somehow the lizard brain fails the maths test when the rest of the decade it goes 'can't fool me with your shiny temptations'.

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

I may have bought three lottery tickets in the last 30 years. Maybe only 2. Jackpot clearances. They give you a little less abysmal odds of winning exponentially more.

Somehow the lizard brain fails the maths test when the rest of the decade it goes 'can't fool me with your shiny temptations'.

The odds were slightly better when it was £1 on a 50:1 shot of winning a tenner.  £2.50 isn't a huge amount when the prize is £150m so I just do it when it's triple roll over or whatever. Hence very seldom. 

• 3 weeks later...