Why become a member? ×

Where to find a replacement Musicman Fretless Neck

d_g

Hi all

wondered if the collective brains could help - I’m looking to replace the neck on my Musicman USA Sub 5 with a Fretless one.

In an ideal world I would get one of the Status Graphite ones but they don’t make them any more (and neither do Modulus or Zoot)

I wondered whether there are any recommendations for companies that do stock replacements, ideally graphite but would consider others!

TIA!

I think it will have to be a custom build or get one from EBMM.

I asked Warmoth about a MM style neck once and was told they won't make them because of the threat of litigation. They won't even do a measurements that are the same but with a different headstock design.

Theoretically

You could get a neck made with a different profile, nut width and headstock design that just so happened to fit in the neck pocket of the said Musicman.

Finding a luthier willing to do it is potentially challenging. The cost might prove to be equally challenging. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, d_g said:

Thanks for the replies. I’m wondering if getting the fingerboard replaced might be my best option! 

No, I don’t think so because it will likely cost much the same as having a new neck built, which is your second best option, the best option being waiting for one to come up for sale, which will happen the moment you pay for your commissioned neck…

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Getting someone to defret the one you have is the cheapest option. I'm sure you will have already considered this though...

I’m actually looking for unlined, should have mentioned!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, d_g said:

I’m actually looking for unlined, should have mentioned!

To be fair you can achieve a decent unlined finish by simply de-fretting and using wood/filler of the same colour as the existing board. 95% of the time will appear unlined to the trained eye, although if you have a heavily figured board it can be more of a challenge 👍 

18 hours ago, d_g said:

Thanks for the replies. I’m wondering if getting the fingerboard replaced might be my best option! 

I remember speaking to John Shuker about doing the same to my old Jazz bass. He quoted about 200 quid at the time but it was a few years ago, so I expect it will cost a fair bit more now. Maybe worth asking him? At least you know that it will be done fabulously. 

• Like 2

I used the configurator.

$600. Nice spec, though. 

Roughly what MM would use;

AAA Bird's eye Maple.

Ebony board.

No lines or front dots.

Considering that you've then got to do the dirty work at the headstock end yourself,  that's quite expensive.

48 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Re Warmoth you can order a paddle-head neck, specify correct heel size, and given your skills @d_g, do the headstock yourself?

https://warmoth.com/bn-d5sp

In Warmoth you cannot specify the heel size. They stick to Fender specs.

"2.906" width fits neck pockets with USA Fender® original 4-bolt heel shape & dimensions"

54 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

In Warmoth you cannot specify the heel size. They stick to Fender specs.

"2.906" width fits neck pockets with USA Fender® original 4-bolt heel shape & dimensions"

Ah, didn't realise that, seems an odd business model though, guess it speaks to the sheer number of Fender players in the US?

28 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Ah, didn't realise that, seems an odd business model though, guess it speaks to the sheer number of Fender players in the US?

Having said that my Warmoth 4-string Precision FL neck is the same width at the nut (1.75) and less than 1/4" narrower at the heel, could easily do the job of a 5-er with the correct drilling of headstock and nut replacement. Anyway, guess that's probably not much help to Dan but thought I'd mention it :) 

Klos are now doing aftermarket graphite necks, to try and take that gap in the market formerly occupied by Status.

They're currently only doing P and J necks, but it might be worth shooting them an email to see if they are planning on doing MM necks. 

https://klosguitars.com/collections/bass-necks/products/carbon-fiber-bass-neck-and-pickguard-upgrade-50-deposit