Why become a member? ×

Did I just buy a knockoff Hipshot Tuner

I just purchased 4 Hipshot USA Ultralite keys online from an "authorized" dealer.

3 of the keys have Hipshot USA branding but one just has a big "U" on it.  The individual bags and model numbers are the same and the keys look ...almost identical but the feel is slightly different. Did I get sold a knockoff key?

IMG_5998.jpeg

IMG_5999.jpeg

Could be a "licensed" tuner vs. the USA made one.

Also, tuner companies do custom jobs for folk - look at these Gibson stamped Schaller M4S for instance... genuine Schaller M4S, just happen to have Gibson logo on them.

image.thumb.png.229a096df91afb15d87c5e55627c83a6.png

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Also, tuner companies do custom jobs for folk - look at these Gibson stamped Schaller M4S for instance... genuine Schaller M4S, just happen to have Gibson logo on them.

That was my first thought too, but I couldn't think of any other bass company with a U other than the Kala U-bass (for which there [i]are[/i] custom Hipshot-licensed tuners, incidentally, but they're not stamped with a U as far as I can tell).

Edited by LeftyJ

16 hours ago, neepheid said:

Could be a "licensed" tuner vs. the USA made one.

The licensed ones appear to have "Hipshot" on them, although Hipshot may have been lazy and used photos of their own products to illustrate the licensed ones.