Why become a member? ×

Hello from a short scale player in Greenwich

DF Shortscale

Hi everyone, a quick hello from me as I've just created a new account. I'm Dave, based in SE London, I play jazz, I like short scales with dead strings, pedals that that make new amps sound old, and cabs that weigh as little as possible..

• Like 4

Welcome!

I’m wondering what pedals make a new amp sound old. There’s a lot to be said for modern amps , especially with a good tube preamp. 
I do love a nice rich old school thump , and short scales. 

• Like 1

On 11/01/2024 at 17:28, msb said:

Welcome!

I’m wondering what pedals make a new amp sound old. There’s a lot to be said for modern amps , especially with a good tube preamp. 
I do love a nice rich old school thump , and short scales. 

Bit late to respond to this, but I find pedals like the Broughton Fliptop or the SVPre really useful, both for practice and gigs. The Origin Effects and Jad Freer stuff is probably even better, although haven't had a chance to try those yet.

• Like 1

I’m curious about Jad Freer too. I was looking through some classifieds today and noticed a Demeter Minnie. And was thinking it would be a lovely thing with a Broughton P15. 

On 22/01/2024 at 23:52, msb said:

I’m curious about Jad Freer too. I was looking through some classifieds today and noticed a Demeter Minnie. And was thinking it would be a lovely thing with a Broughton P15. 

Yeah that Sisma amp and their cabs look killer, I'm too scared to look at the price..

They’re on the high side but not exorbitant , they are hand made in Italy…

And the user reviews I’ve read glow. (Edit) I have a friend in the US that’s looking at their Capo preamp.

Edited by msb

31 minutes ago, msb said:

They’re on the high side but not exorbitant , they are hand made in Italy…

And the user reviews I’ve read glow. (Edit) I have a friend in the US that’s looking at their Capo preamp.

Yeah, they sound super good too! I guess the price is where it should be, I'm just trying not to think about it to avoid temptation.. If I didn't already have a Broughton Fliptop I'd definitely be looking at the Capo, such a nice range of tones in that pedal. The Broughton is probably less versatile but it takes care of the B15 thing for me (for now).

• Like 1