Why become a member? ×

PMT Portsmouth closing

Blimey, it’s closing down apparently. Can’t see a final day at the moment although the other 12 stores will still be open. I imagine there will be bargains to be had. Need to keep an eye and ear out. 

The online purchase dragon strikes again I guess. 

• Sad 2

OK, this isn't eBay, but as a homage to @TheGreek I've put it here 'cos they had this.

TE4x10PMTPortsmouth-240103.thumb.jpg.0726868ace3303c3e58db08b815f0120.jpg

Also, the Spinnaker looked a bit like an alien spaceship had landed.

PortsmouthSpinnaker-40103.thumb.jpg.7eefc95aee469e6c553a7a022780bfb4.jpg

PMT is closing Sunday week (the 14th).

Edited by prowla

7 hours ago, LITTLEWING said:

I imagine there will be bargains to be had. 

The online purchase dragon strikes again I guess. 

The stock will most likely get filtered to the nearest bigger store. 

The music retail trade is grim - this is my 10th year out of it. By god I miss that job…not the wage, but we used to have such a laugh.

I left as the worm was turning.

Actually nearly ended up at PMT Manchester when I was having a crisis of confidence in my new career.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I doubt it, there weren't at Southend. I think it goes back to the warehouse and out to the stores that remain open.

Yep - there wasn’t a fire sale going on. 
I did get a Tele pickguard which I needed for one of my projects, but they said most of it was going back.

Shop floor stock was depleted and lots of boxes were out for shipping. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, asingardenof said:

Blimey. I was in the Leeds store today and all seemed pretty well, albeit their internet was down.

I had an interview for a marketing role at PMT 6-7 years ago, and was surprised to find out they’re part of a group that is the biggest music instrument retailer in Europe. 

Posted (edited)
On 04/01/2024 at 11:56, diskwave said:

Not suprised. Ok I'm getting on a bit (eg old fart?) but the place had a strange vibe...was happy to leave.

Funny you should say that. I was there with a pal a couple of months ago who was after a high end acoustic and it actually did feel like a music equipment exhibition which someone forgot to advertise. 

Edited by LITTLEWING
  • Like 2

Oh dear. I bought my first proper bass there, a Gibson Ripper, back when it was Telecomms.

From a bass point of view they never seemed to have much that I was interested in. The other 2 shops that I could get to easily, Andertons and  GAK always seemed to pack much more into a smaller space.

I drop in there occasionally just to see what’s in but always leave feeling totally underwhelmed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m really not surprised it has shut. The shop has been going downhill for a few years and some of the staff were unhelpful and patronising. They also never seemed to have what I wanted in stock. 
even though it is a pain to drive to Guildford, Anderson’s are a far better organisation with really helpful staff and plenty of stock.

• Like 2