Why become a member? ×

January '24 Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Well done to @AndyTravis who won the November challenge, he has given us this picture to post for the January challenge...

'There we go…a nice cheery image for new year 😂'

image.png.8025ed3e26c62fb545225b48f9d1de43.png

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded between now and the deadline.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ No Bagpipes/panpipes , everyone had the chance last month, so there!

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you..

Deadline-wise, we will go for Midnight on the 24th (but probably until tea time on the 25th)

A line or two of blurb as usual for the vote thread will be lovely. 

Good luck, Have fun 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

https://on.soundcloud.com/BHzAPX6kfLUM72yg9

“You’ll be sorry” - basically just the idea of Technology being introduced into everything…

Will it take over? 

Anyhow, first one with the Gibson Ripper, trusty old Pacifica and GarageBand everything else…

An AI generated image being part of the issue 😂

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I get a few days off this time of year and normally get a bit of time to sort the garden, but it's been persistently raining so I got a chance to stay indoors !

Happy families , I was hoping for a slight edge to it , but it's come out as a wholesome waltz :lol:

Ez drummer does his job, a few strings via garage band on iPad, I play the rest on piano, Gretsch Junior Jet bass and an Ibby 6 string  through waves gtr3, ozone 8 to rinse it off all in Reaper

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 4

I thought I'd celebrate Albert Hoffman's Bicycle Day a bit early this year 😁😎☠️ 

In a dreamlike state, with eyes closed, I perceived an uninterrupted stream of fantastic pictures, extraordinary shapes with intense, kaleidoscopic play of colors. 

For a change we've got proper singing, a touch of rap and a relatively straightforward groove featuring the Wal as both guitar and bass, plus a Strat and a few found samples. Drums programmed with EZ with some Loopcloud drums as well. Keys are AAS, Iris and Clavinet and everything has been first daubed with 196 types of reverb and delay, then liberally rolled in Ozone 9.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here is my horribly unfinished entry - I'm out of time - away for work next week, flying early tomorrow. Imagine this with vocoded robot voice musing on not losing sight of having fun and letting life pulse by mechanically - being more like the children in the photo than the adults.

The tech stuff: All synths are u-he Diva, beats from Groove Agent SE, delays from Echoboy and a little reverb from Relab LX480 to glue it together, finalised with Ozone 8. This month's New Thing™: slicing a loop - never done this before. The mechanical noises loop is from a 1996 Future Music cover CD - I've been waiting 28 years for a suitable project to use that loop!

• Like 4

In I go.

About the song: The disintegration of the family unit due to overindulgence in technological quick highs can only be stopped by those who truly value and embrace the human experience... or forget to charge their phones.

The tech stuff: Mostly done in Reason but a couple of different syths added and then mixed in ProTools

• Like 3

I'll not be participating this month, I'm afraid. I had (still have...) an idea, based upon Goldilocks (Daddy Robot, Mummy Robot, Junior Robot...), with a short storyline'n'all, but, for technical reasons, I can't record the way I had planned (I've had a piezo strip and pre-amp installed in my acoustic which is playing up; I can't use the result for now...). Never mind me, carry on regardless. I'll catch up next month, hopefully. :friends:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, lurksalot said:

Unlucky there Douglas , I do recall you had a very good acoustic guitar VSTi at one point mind 

Cheers; the challenge, however, was to record the Takamine in both audio and MIDI at the same time, but unfortunately a very weak 'D' from the piezo strip made it impossible to get a decent result. I don't know if I just have to re-bed the piezo or choose another one; either way it's a kerfuffle I can't fix in just a day or two. It's not the worst thing that's happened on the Planet of late, though; no kittens have perished. B|

• Like 1

What a shame , a brilliant picture, but will have to leave this one out, not enough time in a day. Unless a 30 seconds intro I started would suffice. Rather than watching rubbish on telly or having an early night, here we go.

Song called Baby Boom. EZ drums, various VST`s and heavily processed robotic singing. The song is about a family swapping a country side life for a rat race concrete build city.

Lyrics:

I was born through baby boom

My life’s been like a hot air balloon

My folks swapped our  farm for a city

Reflecting  upon with a pity

We swapped our land for a concrete field

The rat race life's like a time machine

I asked my mother why did we this

She said my son, Ich liebe dich

Rusted minds have frozen thoughts

Our lives became a big fat nought

You've dragged me to this so-called Wonderland

I can't escape to motherland

Baby boom

You're living as a 

Baby boom

Baby boom

You're struggling as a

Baby boom

Baby boom

You'll soon die as a

Baby boom

Baby boom

Baby boom

Edited by SH73
song added
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, SH73 said:

What a shame , a brilliant picture, but will have to leave this one out, not enough time in a day. Unless a 30 seconds intro I started would suffice 

Yes, let's hear it! I also ran out of time and safe to say my attempt is completely unfinished and barely an idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's some absolute cobblers from yours truly :biggrin:

Robot holds kids to ransom and maniac father tries to pay the droid off with an unsuitable offering then threatens violence to the droid who just wants a bit of TLC, or something like that. Warning! Puntastic Chili Peppers outro lyric!

Lyrics hidden below. On the track they're a bit garbled (good, I hear you scream) but I only had time for one take.

Spoiler

I got bats in my attic

I got robots in my pantry

With a strange looking woman who looks just like Lillie Langtry

Curious

Now, this funny looking robot has got hold of both my kids

And he looks like he's been made out of a pair of dustbin lids

Strange days

(Robot vox) I'm a robot you can trust

But I'm covered in rust

Now, my guess is that he wants a ransom for the kids held hostage

So I'll offer him a tenner, some Maltesers and an ostrich

It's a good deal

If he turns it down I'll kick him in his CPU

Ram his diodes up his hardware, then go make a lovely brew

Nescafe!

(Robot vox) I'm a robot you can trust

But I'm covered in rust

(Robot) Don't wanna be naughty

I'll be good...if you give me WD40!

In that case...

Give him a spray, give him a spray, give him a spray now

Give him a spray, now etc etc.

Used my homemade cigar box baritone ukulele through a Roland Cube amp with a Vivlex delay pedal, P-bass copy, Ableton for a smidge of keyboard sounds and MT Drums. Recorded using Wavepad and Audacity. Vocals recorded with an Apogee Mic+.

• Like 3

In with a whole 2 hours to spare today! Stated about 2 this afty.

Robots in the picture looking liverish after Christmas. A bit of dubby electronica should cheer them up!
My good friend Phil Beavis kindly supplied some synth sounds and electonic drum loops. I'm playing newly arrived Rickenbacker bass, Telecaster and acoustic drums (including my rarely heard beastly china cymbal). gretsch drums, Rogers snare, Paiste 2002 and Sig cymbals. Recorded in Reaper. 1 take all parts!

• Like 4

well I for one will be very happy to listen through those a few times before casting my vote, top drawer , absolutely top drawer :sun_bespectacled:

here we go ..

anyone late to the party, just PM me and I'll see if I can accomodate 

Dive in 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2