Why become a member? ×

Band's keys player "wants to play bass on a few songs...." Alarm bells?

solo4652

On 27/12/2023 at 13:36, 12stringbassist said:

Just politely ask her what you're supposed to do while she's playing bass.
A Bez impression?
I'd just say let her do it at a rehearsal to get it out of her system.

I'm revising this earlier reply.

Just politely ask her what you're supposed to do while she's playing bass. A Bez impression?
I'd just tell her she can do it at a rehearsal to get it out of her system, but you are not going to be made into a spare part onstage. EVER.

This idea needs to be nipped in the bud straight away.

I completely agree with those who won't play in a band with a couple in it - you know EXACTLY how voting will go.

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

I completely agree with those who won't play in a band with a couple in it - you know EXACTLY how voting will go.

You know EXACTLY how you assume voting will go. Honestly, as one who has been half of a couple on a band and as one who has played in at least three bands with couples in, I've never encountered a problem. The ones I encountered a problem with were brothers, who sacked me from a band because their mate (not as good a bassist) wanted to join. So don't ever play in a band with siblings, they're toxic.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tauzero said:

You know EXACTLY how you assume voting will go. Honestly, as one who has been half of a couple on a band and as one who has played in at least three bands with couples in, I've never encountered a problem. The ones I encountered a problem with were brothers, who sacked me from a band because their mate (not as good a bassist) wanted to join. So don't ever play in a band with siblings, they're toxic.

A mate of mine worked with the Proclaimers once. According to him, they are seriously toxic brothers who absolutely hate each other and are absolute corn holes to work with. He was also not a fan of working with Chemical brothers but I don't think they are actual brothers. 

20 hours ago, tauzero said:

In the 90s i was in a band (classic rock covers mainly) with my older brother. We did 6 years and just over 600 gigs together. We had a right laugh (most of the time).

We've reformed for a few special events over the years (namely important birthdays, a stag night) and always have fun