Why become a member? ×

That's it. I am DONE.

Supernaut

No such thing as being done.  Nope.  There's always going to be something.  Always.

You'll see something that will be a slow burner, maybe it'll be something as simple as the Jazz you have looking better in a solid black and then one will come up for sale, you might have a few hundred £££ in the bank and you start doing the maths.

That, my friend, is how it works.  That's how I've ended up with a room full of kit.  That's how nearly everyone on Basschat has a room full of kit.

Nope, you're not done.  You're just getting started.

😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’ve been done about 5 times😂

I’ve just sold half a dozen guitars and I have one lovely electric one now… which I rarely play. I’ve got one good jazz and a bitsa P that I fiddle with. 
I reckon in a couple of years I’ll be back to cursing all the guitar cases lying about and selling some new stuff again😂😂😂… after I’ve bought some new ones

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

In one of my minimalism frenzies I got shot of half a dozen basses over 2 years leaving me with just a Cort GB74 OPN, a Cort Action Deluxe AS and  a Sterling by Musicman Ray 4 HH. I'm now suffering from an acute attack of GAS and pour over the web pages of Bass Direct, Gak, Andertons etc the way I used to intensely peruse the ahem....'articles'.... in a certain publications as a teen. I'm quite tempted by the pre-owned  Fender 75th Anniversary Jazz Bass 2021 in Bass Direct. How fortunate it's only a 10 minute drive away 😊.

Go on, go on, go on!

23 hours ago, Supernaut said:

I have two basses which cover all eventualities. A P with flats and a J with rounds. The J was my only bass for the last couple of years. The P was going to be a reserve but is now on equal footing. Who else is done? 

Surely it's time for you to start playing fretless as well.

• Haha 1

Dare I say it but I've boiled all my bass need down to two identical active Yamaha BB604 basses - they sound like a four-string jazz on steroids and  cover everything from thump to rasp stopping at all points in between.

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

IMG_9917.jpeg

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Dare I say it but I've boiled all my bass need down to two identical active Yamaha BB604 basses - they sound like a four-string jazz on steroids and  cover everything from thump to rasp stopping at all points in between.

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

Excellent work. I have two Warwick Thumbs, a bolt-on on the west coast and a neck-through here in New York. I suppose if I were a bassist I might find this inadequate, but I simply joined Basschat in 2019 to get some information and now it's like the Hotel California.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 15/12/2023 at 08:17, NancyJohnson said:

No such thing as being done.  Nope.  There's always going to be something.  Always.

You'll see something that will be a slow burner, maybe it'll be something as simple as the Jazz you have looking better in a solid black and then one will come up for sale, you might have a few hundred £££ in the bank and you start doing the maths.

That, my friend, is how it works.  That's how I've ended up with a room full of kit.  That's how nearly everyone on Basschat has a room full of kit.

Nope, you're not done.  You're just getting started.

😄

I’m a minority - one cheap bass and a skip-find acoustic for teaching daughter 

I thought I was done. I have twenty something basses. And then came across a picture of a big orange hollow body Gretsch. Showed it to my wife and she suggested I should get it. I managed to find one near Boston. And the next thing I knew I had just purchased a big orange Gretsch. Here’s a couple of the dealer’s pics.

It’s big for medium scale , but I’m loving it.

IMG_9579.webp

IMG_9577.webp

• Like 6

I'm done. Unless the current owner of a Hohner headless bass I sold earlier this year gets bored with it. I bought it from someone on here, then endured continual taunts from bandmates about how "naff and eighties" it looks. To my eternal shame I gave in to the taunts and sold it, despite it being the most comfortable bass I've ever played (it took a while to get used to looking down and my lizard brain getting confused by how close my hand was to the end of the neck though). I regretted selling it the moment it was sold, and put a note in the case saying I'd happily buy it back. The current owner has said I'll get first refusal if he gets bored with it, so fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Got a Squier VM Jazz (flats), a Harley Benton P (flats), a no name Jazz (rounds), a Hofner Shorts  (rounds), a Harley Benton HB -60  (flats) and my latest one, an Orange O bass with flats, that gives me any sound I could dream of.  So yes- I think, in the end I'm done now. (But looking at other basses still is a joy to me.)

• Like 2

I don't reckon an itch for different Basses is necessarily a bad thing, after all, 'a man's mind grows narrow in a narrow place'. 

5th string, fretless, short scale, multiscale, active, semi-acoustic, MM stingray pickups, bargains, lightweight, vintage, different looks etc etc. All just waiting to inspire you (and, if bought/sold/traded second hand possibly won't actually cost much money). 

• Like 1