Why become a member? ×

Guitar strap advice please

Gulpet

IMG-1812.jpghi bass people! 

Thinking of getting my boyfriend a new strap for his bass guitar his current just looks like a fairly basic one? (I think) Just wondering if anyone could suggest what kind of strap would be best? 

thank you for your help in advance :) 

Depending on his age and more importantly back, there are two I`d recommend.

The first being for a younger fitter person with no back issues, the Dunlop D3809BK, essentially just a very hardwearing nylon black strap.

image.png.8102ccab2fbf67e2863db876c360945f.png

The second being more practical for someone with back issues, the Mono GS1 (or Betty as it`s known), makes wearing a heavy bass much easier.

image.png.8642c152938c9400270a11a86fd79ce1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My favourite is the Leathergraft comfy suede strap. I have loads of these and they live up to the name.

GuitarGuitar have them in four colours: https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/search/?Query=Leathergraft+comfy

11092617445088f.jpg

Also get some strap blocks to go with it - little rubbery thingies that prevent the strap from coming off at the worst possible time

Several companies make them, but GuitarGuitar sell Ernie Ball ones in eight different colours: https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/search/?Query=strap+blocks

221025395521008f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If your bf has a heavy bass i'd go for something wide and well padded.  Personally i would not choose a strap with plastic fittings as my experience as a guitarist is that they are not particularly durable and i've had a number fail. So for a heavy bass it's probably not a good move. 

Depending on your budget i would go for a leather strap. 

I particularly like the https://www.pinegroveleather.com ones which for full disclosure i am an endorsee.

Straplocks are a good idea and you could buy your bf couple of Grolsch beers and use the rubber bungs as straplocks. 

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I highly recommend the Neotech Mega. 

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Neotech-Mega-Bass-Guitar-Strap-Regular-Black/23VG?origin=product-ads&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3ZPs6YCPgwMVDTgGAB26uASVEAQYASABEgK_AvD_BwE

I've used one for over five years with no issues. Better made than the Comfort Strapp and does not slide like the Mono GS1. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The perfect strap is a matter of taste really. Some people like a rough material so their instrument doesn't slide around (especially when the instrument itself doesn't balance well and has a tendency to neckdive) and other people like a smoother strap. Some people prefer narrower straps, others like the better weight distribution of a wider strap. Some like a vintage looking leather or fabric strap, others a more modern look. It's a difficult gift if you're not sure what your boyfriend likes in a strap. 

The one in the pic looks like a basic (but quality) D'Addario or Dunlop one. 

As far as taste goes I think i would personally go with @jazzyvee's opinion. Leather is just a classic and hardwearing material and it ages nicely (when properly maintained). It also looks great with such a classic bass design IMO :)

If he hasn't got a problem with weight (the bass, not him) and you would just like a less plain strap, there's a load out there - Planet Waves, Stagg, and (more expensive) Levys are worth looking at. For padded straps to help with weight, Lekato also make some good padded straps.