Why become a member? ×

Best mini bass amps?

ToLo

On 05/12/2023 at 12:38, Linus27 said:

@obbm I'm actually thinking of getting a Markbass Nano 300 as I like the clean Markbass tone. How do you find the Nano 300? Is it clean like most Markbass heads and is it fairly loud and punchy? Are you happy with it?

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I've used the Nano 300 as my main gigging amp since late 2017 and more recently got a Nano Mark II as well. They both deliver the Markbass sound that I'm after (LM3 with the VLE/VPF controls turned to 'off') in a convenient package, they're loud and punchy, and I'm very happy with them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ed_S said:

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I've used the Nano 300 as my main gigging amp since late 2017 and more recently got a Nano Mark II as well. They both deliver the Markbass sound that I'm after (LM3 with the VLE/VPF controls turned to 'off') in a convenient package, they're loud and punchy, and I'm very happy with them.

@Ed_S Thanks brilliant, thank you very much :) 

On 05/12/2023 at 12:38, Linus27 said:

@obbm I'm actually thinking of getting a Markbass Nano 300 as I like the clean Markbass tone. How do you find the Nano 300? Is it clean like most Markbass heads and is it fairly loud and punchy? Are you happy with it?

The Nano seems pretty clean and very loud. I run it flat and use a Sansamp BDDI in front of it. I have no complaints.

Edited by obbm
  • Like 1

On 04/12/2023 at 21:49, MichaelDean said:

I've still never tried the 4 cable method with my bass. Only my skinny stringer. 

What’s this 4 cable method of which you speak?

On 05/12/2023 at 07:38, Smanth said:

there is a Bugera Veyron listed here on BC that tempted me, but I fear the master volume crackle would drive me mad!

Just bear in mind the volume pot only crackles if you adjust it while there’s signal going through it. I can live with it but it does seem to be a design flaw.

3 hours ago, King Tut said:

What’s this 4 cable method of which you speak?

Bass -> multi-FX (or first effect chain) input

multi-FX external loop send (or out of last pedal in first effect chain) to amp input

amp effects loop send to multi-FX loop return (or second effects chain)

multi-FX (or second effects chain) output to the amp return

The first part of the chain precedes the amp tone shaping and anything else in the amp, the second part follows it.

• Thanks 1

I’m kind of amp nerdy , I’m ok with that. Your Barefaced cabs are a great start. Simply gorgeous cabs. And there’s a ton of amps around today that will do the job. We’ve really never had this kind of selection available before. But it’s fun to do something funky. I went the Bergantino route and have no regrets. First bought some cabs (a 210 & 112) , loved them , and then picked up their smaller head , the Forte. Beautiful full transparent hifi. And then later decided to go wild , and picked up a nice boutique tube preamp and go old school. Monique. 
So I have a modular rig , many gigs I do just require a single cab , and can do modern or old school , with a ton of headroom. I use the same amp and preamp for rehearsals , but recently found a Barefaced One 10 to do that. 
Small , modular , light. With some serious slam. 

IMG_8738.jpeg

Edited by msb
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

I'm a bit late to this one.  I got a gnome to use with 2 Barefaced cabs.  Super Mini T and Big Baby 3.

It's very good, very clean, plenty loud enough.   But the EQ frequencies don't really suit the cabs, and at low a volume practice the fan is a bit noisy.   I also ordered an Elf on that basis that I would keep the amp I preferred and sell the other.  But when, after 4 months it was still on back order with BAX, I cancelled.

I just took delivery today, of a Genzler Magellan 350, and it's absolutely awesome.  Just immediately clean and musical.  The tone shaping is incredibly flexible, and I now think my entire pedalboard is going to be redundant.

• Like 1

On 06/12/2023 at 11:00, neepheid said:

Tecamp Puma/Eich?  I have a Tecamp Puma 900 and it's a wee head that sounds amazing (to me anyway) with simple 4 band EQ, more power than I'll ever need, and the Taste knob is genius - was able to dial in the sound I wanted very quickly using it.  And - thank the heavens, a mute button.

Bassbros are selling a Tecamp Puma 900 for £499 - in budget, just.

This! 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Paddy Morris said:

I'm a bit late to this one.  I got a gnome to use with 2 Barefaced cabs.  Super Mini T and Big Baby 3.

It's very good, very clean, plenty loud enough.   But the EQ frequencies don't really suit the cabs, and at low a volume practice the fan is a bit noisy.   I also ordered an Elf on that basis that I would keep the amp I preferred and sell the other.  But when, after 4 months it was still on back order with BAX, I cancelled.

I just took delivery today, of a Genzler Magellan 350, and it's absolutely awesome.  Just immediately clean and musical.  The tone shaping is incredibly flexible, and I now think my entire pedalboard is going to be redundant.

I’ve actually just picked up a second hand rig: a genzler Magellan 350 and a Barefaced two10. It sounds awesome at home and I’m looking forward to trying it at gigs over the next two weekends. 

I really like the EQ section and contour knobs on the Genzler, I think the orange contour channel is going to be really handy in a live setting.

IMG_7711.jpeg

Edited by ToLo
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, ToLo said:

I’ve actually just picked up a second hand rig: a genzler Magellan 350 and a Barefaced two10. It sounds awesome at home and I’m looking forward to trying it at gigs over the next two weekends. 

I really like the EQ section and contour knobs on the Genzler, I think the orange contour channel is going to be really handy in a live setting.

IMG_7711.jpeg

I have the MG 800 and it’s a fantastic amp. I tend to use the contour on the blue channel but mostly off. 
I found the orange contour played loud started to sound a little harsh.

They are great amps and I run my Darkglass Omicron pedal into it and it sounds glorious for rock. 

One of the most underrated amps you can buy in my opinion and I’ve had most out there to compare to !! 

• Like 2

TE Elf is very good and more versatile than the knob count suggests.

Orange Terror is out of budget but still very portable and awesome sounfing if you like a gentle valve Overdrive that's easy to 'ride' with your technique

• Like 1