Why become a member? ×

Wireless question

jezzaboy

Our guitar player recently bought a AKG wireless unit for his guitar. It worked really well when he went out into the crowd with no dropout. I`m fed up with standing on cables as I tend to move around a bit when space allows so I`m thinking of getting the same model.

Would it cause any problems with the 2 of us using the same type of units on a gig? I know sod all about these things so forgive me if this is a daft question Link to product below. Ta

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/AKG-WMS40-Mini-Wireless-Instrument-System-ISM-1/GX0

14 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

...Would it cause any problems with the 2 of us using the same type of units on a gig?...

Yes, it would cause problems, as this unit has only one, fixed, frequency channel, so another would interfere. There are plenty of other systems available now that don't have this inconvenience, so you might be best advised to choose another. I can recommend SmoothHound; there are many others, at no higher cost than his AKG. Have a look at the Thomann range of products to see what's out there. Hope this helps. :rWNVV2D:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Thanks Dad, I thought as much. Need to find one that uses a cable that goes into the transmitter on the strap as I can`t stand those ones that go into the input with that big dongle like thing.

Off to Thomann!!

One like this, then..?

• Like 1

I bought a Nux wireless kit earlier this year, two bugs, one for amp one for instrument, works on the 5.4 so no interference from taxis or pizza deliveries (tho who would turn down pizza). I’ve used it at a few gigs now and it’s very good, especially as it has on/off switches which are easy to see & operate, no need to disconnect from the instrument when not in use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jezzaboy said:

Thanks Dad, I thought as much. Need to find one that uses a cable that goes into the transmitter on the strap as I can`t stand those ones that go into the input with that big dongle like thing.

Off to Thomann!!

You could just get a female/male short cable and plug the transmitter into that 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

Off to Thomann!!

You can use a short mono jack male-female extension lead with a bug/dongle to put it on your strap or in a pocket or a convenient drug-smuggling orifice, if you feel that way inclined. I've got several, including a couple of bug types [1]. If you're using a pedalboard, the mains adaptor powered ones are convenient as you don't have to mess around recharging the receiver. Conversely, if you're going straight into an amp or a single effects pedal, the bug type is more convenient as you don't have to plug it in to a power source.

[1] Line 6 G50, Smoothhound, Harley Benton Airborne Pro, Muslady, Lekato WS-50, all 2.4GHz except the HB and Lekato which are 5.8GHz. All work well.

• Like 1

I've been using that AKG system for about 8 or 9 years I think and have only had a problem once, which I very much suspect was caused by the silent disco in the marquee next to the stage. You could both use the same system, but if the guitarist is using the one linked (ISM-1) then you would need the ISM-2 which uses a slightly different frequency. The bonus is that the ISM-2 appears to be a whole 46p cheaper on gear4music website! If you go this route double check which one the guitarist has so you know which you need.

• Like 1