Why become a member? ×

Barefaced two10s vs 2 more affordable 2x10s?

ToLo

12 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

BF uses a custom version of the 3012LF Eminence. They don't seem to blow up when pushed with 400 to 500w apiece by all accounts. 97dB broadband sensitivity claimed. That's 124dB at 1m. Pretty freaking loud. Tallies with the prodigious low B like I never heard, well highpassed.

It would have to be a very custom version to use it in the One10. Two inches smaller diameter for a start.

I had a One10. Sold it as it sounded rather rough at the volume I was using it, which wasn't full-on rock band loud by any stretch of the imagination, the "drummer" was playing a very lightly miced up cajon and unmiced bongoes.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2023 at 12:08, Downunderwonder said:

Ime

None of the 10" variety but Bill points out the 10" is a unique custom as well. Probably based on the super 10 Emimence sold for a little while a few years ago.

No replacement for displacement. No free lunch either. I don't know what gets given up with the tens. The 12's don't go so high but having a nice compression driver horn takes care of that.

• Like 1

I bought my first BF cab because of the weight. Nobody else had anything anywhere near that light. I had just had a load of hernia related surgery so I bought on weight alone and was just happy that I liked the sound too.

The introduction of very light cabs by BF was really proof of concept to other makers who slowly followed. Although I am still amazed Darkglass released really heavy cabs a few years ago. Then nobody bought them so they got discontinued and replaced with lighter models.

Of course now there are weight competitors. GR are really light, the new Ampeg Venture stuff is very lightweight too. That's been a great advance across the board.

My favourite cab in the world is still the Marshall VBC412 but I am not dealing with 110lb cabs ever again.

My little stack of One10 and One10T sounds great and very similar. TBH though I never owned them at the same time so I don't know how close they really are.

Edited by fretmeister
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I bought my first BF cab because of the weight. Nobody else had anything anywhere near that light. I had just had a load of hernia related surgery so I bought on weight alone and was just happy that I liked the sound too.

The introduction of very light cabs by BF was really proof of concept to other makers who slowly followed. Although I am still amazed Darkglass released really heavy cabs a few years ago. Then nobody bought them so they got discontinued and replaced with lighter models.

Of course now there are weight competitors. GR are really light, the new Ampeg Venture stuff is very lightweight too. That's been a great advance across the board.

My favourite cab in the world is still the Marshall VBC412 but I am not dealing with 110b cabs ever again.

My little stack of One10 and One10T sounds great and very similar. TBH though I never owned them at the same time so I don't know how close they really are.

I actually regret selling one of my One10's. I had two, and they were a great little stack. I sold one when I bought the Two10, but now that has gone too, replaced by a Super Compact. 

If anyone has a One10 they want to part with, let me know.

Rob

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

My favourite cab in the world is still the Marshall VBC412 but I am not dealing with 110b cabs ever again.

Same, I loved mine but was way too heavy, used to have to keep it in my car all the time as couldn’t get it up the stairs to my flat on my own. Did sound great though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Geddys nose said:

A 4 ohm 3x10 is in the pipeline too from Barefaced, hopefully it’s a vertical cab and a angled top speaker  🤞

@Geddys nose 

It's not.

The middle cone is offset to the side. The enclosure is the same size as a Super Twin in height and width but only as deep as a Two10 / Four10.

It has tilt back wheels. Tweeter is optional.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fretmeister said:

The enclosure is the same size as a Super Twin in height and width

I bet Alex did some market research and found that players tend to regard tall narrow cabinets as odd, so he stayed more conventional. If you're as old as me you remember when PA columns ruled. They were driven from the market by trapezoid cabs made for side by side placement with an outward splay. Where dispersion was concerned columns were better, but buyers didn't know that and insisted on the trap cabs. Marketing and sales departments decided it was better to give the customers what they wanted than to waste their breath trying to educate them. I see that the Ashdown 310 is gone from their line, probably a victim of this very issue.

• Like 3