Why become a member? ×

Barefaced two10s vs 2 more affordable 2x10s?

ToLo

50 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Don't fall for the marketing BS. Barefaced are fine cabs, but there is no magic fairy dust.

Agree, I had a BF410 & 210 stack, replaced it with an Ashdown ABM410 & 210 stack as I preferred the sound. Would the BF stack have gone louder, well probably, but at band volume settings the sound was no bigger or fuller than the Ashdown. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Agree, I had a BF410 & 210 stack, replaced it with an Ashdown ABM410 & 210 stack as I preferred the sound. Would the BF stack have gone louder, well probably, but at band volume settings the sound was no bigger or fuller than the Ashdown. 

So the overkill stack you have now may or may not be as loud as the overkill stack you had that probably would have gone louder. Got it.

Ime I got a fright turning up a single BF12 too far once. In my estimation it would bury my 215 cab every which way except one. There's a pumped right up tone from the 215 with the right size amp in a big enough room with a loud enough band that I would struggle to get out of a PA style pixie dust model.

As that Alex chap comes over as a straight arrow in everything else I am inclined to believe the marketing also.

• Like 2

It wasn’t an overkill stack for the the gigs I was doing at the time, though for many gigs the 410 was plenty enough so I left the 210 out. Tools for the job, don’t be a man with a fork in a world of soup.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

So the overkill stack you have now may or may not be as loud as the overkill stack you had that probably would have gone louder. Got it.

Ime I got a fright turning up a single BF12 too far once. In my estimation it would bury my 215 cab every which way except one. There's a pumped right up tone from the 215 with the right size amp in a big enough room with a loud enough band that I would struggle to get out of a PA style pixie dust model.

As that Alex chap comes over as a straight arrow in everything else I am inclined to believe the marketing also.

As I said, I have a lot of respect for Alex, and he makes great cabinets, but at the end of the day, Barefaced use similar drivers to many others. Thee laws of physics dictate that a ported or bass reflex cabinet cab only output so much noise, and unless the sea air in Sussex has magical properties, they cannot be significantly louder than any other bass reflex cabinet with the same drivers.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

As I said, I have a lot of respect for Alex, and he makes great cabinets, but at the end of the day, Barefaced use similar drivers to many others. Thee laws of physics dictate that a ported or bass reflex cabinet cab only output so much noise, and unless the sea air in Sussex has magical properties, they cannot be significantly louder than any other bass reflex cabinet with the same drivers.

The others use off the shelf Beyma and Faital afaik and don't get into many details.

BF uses a custom version of the 3012LF Eminence. They don't seem to blow up when pushed with 400 to 500w apiece by all accounts. 97dB broadband sensitivity claimed. That's 124dB at 1m. Pretty freaking loud. Tallies with the prodigious low B like I never heard, well highpassed.

Afaik the only UK competition is BC dude LFsys (sp?).

• Like 2

When I started playing, I was a 2 x 4x12 or 4 when I could afford it.  Then when speaker technology improved, went to 2 x 4x10.  Bought the first 6x10 that BF made and was astonished by how good it was.  I was forced to sell it due to poverty but have since bought a BF 2x10 and am truly amazed that this little cab is so good.  I don't need anything else, it's mighty and I'm not a quiet bass player.  

Anyone that doubts that a BF 2x10 is not enough to gig with should try one, you'll be amazed!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, asingardenof said:

It's on the BF website here: https://barefacedaudio.com/pages/using-multiple-10cr-cabs.

image.png.419faa74f989c2a2c41163f8eb0f3bf0.png

Those new models aren't listed for sale yet, so not sure "launched" is accurate.

I've read criticism of the Barefaced 10" range in the past, some people want a 4 ohm 410, some people want taller and thinner cabs like the 12" range.  Perhaps these new cabs answer these criticisms.  I'm intrigued by the 310, I wonder what shape that will be.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

I've read criticism of the Barefaced 10" range in the past, some people want a 4 ohm 410, some people want taller and thinner cabs like the 12" range.  Perhaps these new cabs answer these criticisms.  I'm intrigued by the 310, I wonder what shape that will be.

I suspect the 2x10 and 4x10 won't be any different in size if all they've done is changed the impedence of the speakers. Maybe the 3x10 will just be half of a 6x10.

30 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

I suspect the 2x10 and 4x10 won't be any different in size if all they've done is changed the impedence of the speakers. Maybe the 3x10 will just be half of a 6x10.

I reckon we might see the 310 drivers placed diagonally, like the Vanderkley stuff.  As long as the cabs are wide enough for a rack, 19", most people will be happy.   We shall see.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Barefaced use similar drivers to many others.

Where neos are concerned there are a few others who use Eminence OEM neo drivers based on the Kappalite motor, but most use the Deltalite II. I'm not aware of any other OEM ten that's the equal of the 10CR. For that matter Eminence doesn't sell a retail ten that equals it.

The laws of physics dictate that a ported or bass reflex cabinet cab only output so much noise, and unless the sea air in Sussex has magical properties, they cannot be significantly louder than any other bass reflex cabinet with the same drivers

'With the same drivers'. Tens with 250cc of displacement are rare, and most that do exist are made for PA, so they're not so good in the mids. FWIW the benchmark SVT ten has 165cc displacement.

1 hour ago, Merton said:

Aww crap, a Three10? Noooo!

I've been hassling him for a 3x10 for ages!

He kept telling me it wouldn't be worth ordering the different cones to get the right impedance.

I had given up and bought another One10T instead.

If it is the specs I asked for - vertical, with tiltback wheels and a tweeter - then I need to start saving up again.

• Like 1

I'm quite excited about the Three10 so I emailed Alex.

I asked him if it was going to be vertical with a tweeter / tiltback wheels etc. His answer:

Yes, vertical with tiltback wheels and a tweeter. We've had some alternate impedance drivers made to solve the annoying impedance problem! It's not going to be three 10"s in a vertical line, it'll be two above each other and one in the middle off to the side - makes for a much more sensibly shaped cab and still has great dispersion because the middles of the drivers (where the mids/highs come from) aren't side by side. Same height and width as a Super Twin, same depth as a Two10S/Four10/Six10. Same wheels and handles as a Six10. Should be v cool!

Best regards,

Alex

This is going to cost me money. And possibly my marriage! :D 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I'm quite excited about the Three10 so I emailed Alex.

I asked him if it was going to be vertical with a tweeter / tiltback wheels etc. His answer:

Yes, vertical with tiltback wheels and a tweeter. We've had some alternate impedance drivers made to solve the annoying impedance problem! It's not going to be three 10"s in a vertical line, it'll be two above each other and one in the middle off to the side - makes for a much more sensibly shaped cab and still has great dispersion because the middles of the drivers (where the mids/highs come from) aren't side by side. Same height and width as a Super Twin, same depth as a Two10S/Four10/Six10. Same wheels and handles as a Six10. Should be v cool!

Best regards,

Alex

This is going to cost me money. And possibly my marriage! :D 

Possibly a similar arrangement to the Markbass 103 then?

image.png.74ff03e2f58ccbc4be53142c973aa982.png