Why become a member? ×

Boxes for postage

bass_dinger

1 hour ago, bass_dinger said:

I need to post a synthesiser, 100cm × 35cm ×15cm.

I get mine from Lidl, veg boxes are best being 2 or 3 walls thick.

Remove the short end from 2 boxes, decide on the length then trim the sides to suit; that'll give you 2 tongues. Slide one over the over and either tape or hot glue together, 2 strips up the sides will keep them rigid. Cut another 2 boxes to form the lid.  Wrap in brown paper or more cardboard.

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

I get mine from Lidl, veg boxes are best being 2 or 3 walls thick.

Remove the short end from 2 boxes, decide on the length then trim the sides to suit; that'll give you 2 tongues. Slide one over the over and either tape or hot glue together, 2 strips up the sides will keep them rigid. Cut another 2 boxes to form the lid.  Wrap in brown paper or more cardboard.

That works if you can find the right size boxes 1+m long for the synth.

As has been said bike boxes cut down to size make the best DIY shipping boxes. Most bicycle retailer are more than happy to give them away. They are made of thicker and tougher card than the typical musical instrument box and they generally come with a load of internal packing that can be used as padding and/or reinforcement.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

Can anyone please recommend a company that sells boxes?

All the previous replies have good advice on sourcing and cutting up boxes as a DIY solution.  To answer the question directly about where to buy boxes - I've used the ones from https://www.sellusyourguitar.co.uk/product-page/guitar-packaging-electric-bass-guitars a couple of times.  They come in two pieces which slide together to get a snug fit.  So at £10 (plus postage) it is expensive for just one box - but the option's there if you don't have time right now to traipse around the local shops etc.

• Like 1

Lots of options here - thanks all!

I have used twin Aldi fruit boxes for a banjo, using the joint to fashion a neck brace.  

But it takes time to build up a box out of smaller ones, and the cost of my time was more than the cost of a box, on reflection. 

So, I will try to make a bike box smaller, rather than a fruit box bigger!!

Or I may just order a box online....

On 15/10/2023 at 20:40, casapete said:

Halfords used to happily give away the boxes that cycles were delivered to them in. 
Various sizes so probably be worth a visit?

I recently posted a bass in a Halfords bike box. They're more than happy to recycle their cycle boxes.

• Like 1