Why become a member? ×

Actually, could I convert this 310 into three 1 x 10" cabinets..........?

Chewie

Hello groovers,

I've got a Markbass CMD 103H which I don't use nowadays.

How easy would it be for a layman like me to convert it into three 1 x 10" cabinets?

Or, better still maybe one 210 cabinet and single 10"...........?

Anybody out there done this?  I'm sure you have..............

IMG_9693.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

If you're 'into' carpentry, of course it can be done, but isn't it better to sell the combo 'as is' and buy yourself a more suitable rig for your needs..? Just a thought. :rWNVV2D:

That would be too easy..........

Seriously, you're right.....  I was just looking at in the garage and thinking about removing the amp and adding it to a to a single cab and got carried away.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Are the drivers all identical? They may not be. And how are they wired to achieve a workable impedance for the amp section? (I presume it's a minimum of 4 Ohms, but you never know)

These factors may conspire to preclude the use of 3x1x10..

I'm going to have a look in the back................ you're going to be right, I'm sure.

This is quite an expensive unit (even though its discontinued), I  would suggest selling it and getting seperate amps and cab(s). If you hack it about you risk a) not getting anything usable at the end of it and b) not having anything with any residual resale value.

Edited by bassman7755
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Are the drivers all identical? They may not be. And how are they wired to achieve a workable impedance for the amp section? (I presume it's a minimum of 4 Ohms, but you never know)

These factors may conspire to preclude the use of 3x1x10..

3x10s are often 3 x 16 ohm in parallel giving 5.2 ohm and thus work decently as single cabs with most amps.

Edited by bassman7755
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bassman7755 said:

3x10s are often 3 x 16 ohm in parallel giving 5.2 ohm and thus work decently as single cabs with most amps.

That seems reasonable. 

But if you select to use just one of the resultant 1x10s, it'll take your (hypothetical) 300W @ 4 Ohms head and cut it to ~75W. 

Using a second of the 1x10s would at least give you an 8 Ohm load and ~150W

Assuming you're going to build 4 cabinets. 

3 for 10" speakers and one for the amp.

What about the horn? Put it in one of the cabs?

At least you have the option of putting it all back in place.

Try and get the Theile and Small characteristics and there was a program called winISD that would show you plots depending on cab dimensions. Don't know if it still exists. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TimR said:

It has a 3.5khz crossover. 

which will shift all around depending on the impedance on the low side. I would not like to predict the shift in relative amount of power sent to the horn between having all three woofers to just one. It will do bad things to the tone or bad things to the horn or both.

Safe thing to do is the more ergonomic 310 with tiny footprint the way MB should have done it in the first place.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

which will shift all around depending on the impedance on the low side. I would not like to predict the shift in relative amount of power sent to the horn between having all three woofers to just one. It will do bad things to the tone or bad things to the horn or both.

It's a high pass filter with full range sent to the 10" speakers, they will have no effect on the crossover frequency.