Why become a member? ×

Not ebay but altered Rickenbacker on Reverb

bearhart74

So to recap, the body and neck have been ruined, and all original parts swopped out except the bridge and the control knobs, but he still wants nearly £2k for it?

Just as a matter of interest, after all those ... ahem ... "modifications" how exactly can you prove that this even started life as a Rickenbacker rather than an Ibanez or a Greco?

• Like 3

On 12/10/2023 at 15:52, Happy Jack said:

So to recap, the body and neck have been ruined, and all original parts swopped out except the bridge and the control knobs, but he still wants nearly £2k for it?

Just as a matter of interest, after all those ... ahem ... "modifications" how exactly can you prove that this even started life as a Rickenbacker rather than an Ibanez or a Greco?

I read it as the tuners and the pots have been changed - the rest of the parts are original. However, as you say, asking for 2K is ludicrous. You can pick up an unmutilated Rick for that!

1 minute ago, dyerseve said:

I read it as the tuners and the pots have been changed - the rest of the parts are original. 

I always look for the 'weasel words'.

When a guitar dealer says "the rest of the parts appear original" [my emphasis] then I know I'm being lied to.

Imagine going to such lengths to make your Rickenbacker not look like a Rickenbacker - and then going "oh, sod it" & slapping the original ugly afterthought scratchplate back on it completely unmodified, not even bothering to trim it so it doesn't hang off the bottom edge of your svelte new Pointybacker.

• Like 1

On 16/10/2023 at 18:01, Bassassin said:

Imagine going to such lengths to make your Rickenbacker not look like a Rickenbacker - and then going "oh, sod it" & slapping the original ugly afterthought scratchplate back on it completely unmodified, not even bothering to trim it so it doesn't hang off the bottom edge of your svelte new Pointybacker.

The other end of the pickguard has been hacked...

On 16/10/2023 at 15:25, Happy Jack said:

I always look for the 'weasel words'.

When a guitar dealer says "the rest of the parts appear original" [my emphasis] then I know I'm being lied to.

Well - the strap buttons don't appear to be original.

22 hours ago, prowla said:

The other end of the pickguard has been hacked...

Not enough to change the design (if you can call it that!) the way the body has!

I may have mentioned my antipathy for that slapped-on afterthought before - the only bit of the 4001/3 design John Hall didn't bother to trademark! :D