Why become a member? ×

Paint

bremen

Good day.

Someone here recommended paint for cabinets that you apply with a roller, and it comes out like Tolex. Sort of Hammerite for wood.

I made a note of the brand but unfortunately I wrote it on a pie which I later had to eat. Can anyone remind me?

Thank you.

6 hours ago, bremen said:

Thanks, all.

I'm sure the one i was recommended was available in smaller quantities... and it had options of glossy or matt, matt being more camouflaged for theatre applications.

A kg of tuffcab would last me several lifetimes!

Gives you an excuse to make more cabs.

My self-built PA cabs are painted with Tuffcab, applied with a sponge roller.  it gives a textured finish, a bit finer than Tolex, but fairly attractive and, as the name suggests, tough.
Generally one coat is enough on the front surface of ply, but on the edges a first coat should be applied before the finish coat, as the endgrain soaks up the moisture in the finish.

A

• 1 month later...

I bought the Tuffcab. And the rollers. Fast servive from BlueAran. Thanks for the recommendation. 

Any top tips before i slap it on all over? I'm reasonably confident it'll sound ok, ive built a few cabs but never done more than a bit of blackboard paint. I should put an extra coat on the plywood edges as they're more porous, thanks Alien.

Edited by bremen
  • Like 1

Be careful with the rollers, they have a bit of a tendency to stop rotating and you get drag marks instead of stippling. You get the hang of it after a bit and it's not a disaster when it happens. TBH I was quite surprised, given what a clumsy git I am, that it was so easy to get a great finish.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

Be careful with the rollers, they have a bit of a tendency to stop rotating and you get drag marks instead of stippling. You get the hang of it after a bit and it's not a disaster when it happens. TBH I was quite surprised, given what a clumsy git I am, that it was so easy to get a great finish.

Yes, I had a couple of points where the rollers stopped, but the nice thing about Tuffcab is that its wet time is quite long, so you can go over it again and again. In my experience., a light touch helps, the weight of the paint and roller is enough, you do not need to press more. On the raw edges, on one cab I watered down some to get good penetration, but I do not think that was neccesary.

Thanks all. Im going to paint diluted pva onto the edges, and the various bits of filler. 

Bit more sanding today... I wish id done a build diary now, but at the start it looked like it was going to be an embarassing bodge. Amazing what filler can do (though there's still a bit of a shortage of right angles)