Why become a member? ×

Looking for Flats recommendations.

Yan_Huriey

Some notes I wrote somewhere else:

"Thomastick Infield –  Small gauge, extremely low tension. Very soft on the fretting hand but may require higher action depending on the quality of the fretwork as they are more prone to buzzing (in general that’s always the trade off wirh lower tension/gauge). They reportedly last forever (you hear of people that hsve them on for 10 years or so) and have very strong high mids for being flats. So unlike most flats they tend to stand up in the mix a bit more

Labella – I have tried the Jamerson, the 44-104 and the low tension flats. Low tension flats are my favourite, they are surprisingly thumpy compared to the gauge. The round core in my opinion makes them more “bouncy” and expressive. I am a for lowish gauge strings in general for similar reasons. Other Labellas are stiff relative to their gauge (as most flats are, not exceptionally stiff). LaBellas apparently are the go-to strings for a vintage thump. They have both the thump and to my ear also an element of pronounced top end. To my ears, they sound a bit unbalanced unless the gauge is high (the E is too thumpy and can at times disappear, the G has that top end and not enough thump so may sound tinny with the tone rolled up). But that’s me, they are the most popular flats and maybe my ear is funny

Dunlop flats – they have a thin core and are rather low tension, and a bit like the TIs have a somewhat roundwound zing. I prefer the TIs

-GHS precision flats – I have tried 55-105, 45-95 and 45-105. The 45-95 are my favourite flats alongside the TIs. Not properly low tension but more pliable than LaBellas. 45-95 and 55-105 have unbalanced tension, with e much sofer than the G (and the 55-105 are hard work for me) – but I like a beefier G so it’s worth it. A bit less thump and more clarity than LaBellas in my opinion. Still, we are talking proper vintage thump, nothing like Dunlop or TIs. They take a long time though (weeks and months) to get to their best sound. At first they have some zing but not necessarily in a great way

-D’Addario tapewounds. Not properly flats but, even more than flats, tapes reportedly last forever. They are strange in an interesting way. The tape wrap dampens the sound so they sound “weaker” than flats. Also, it gives them a double-bass like attack with string initial attack and fast decay. There is some thump to them but inside the nylon there are actually some quite zingy rounds. The result to me is similar to newish nickelwounds with the tone rolled of a fair bit (but with the different attack). The perceived “weakness” mostly matters in isolation, alongside other instruments they sound just fine. The G sounds a bit tinny to me though

– LaBella tapes 60-115 A bit like the d’addario tapes but less zing and way more thump"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have used Roto 77s on a EMG equipped P bass and loved them . Quite bright for the time I had them on but they will mellow out in time . I have Jamerson 54 originals on a Yamaha BB bass and love the sound and feel of them , but the BB is active so I have a lot more control over the EQ . Also a set of TI jass flats on a Sire P5R 5 string . Loving them , but completely different to both the rotos and the LaBellas . Quite low tension and easy to play . 

The only way to find out what suits is to try them and see what suits you . Start with the Rotos as you have them already and see how you get on . There is huge variety in the sound and feel of flats . 

• Thanks 1

I have Rotosound 77 on one of my Precision's and I love them. They were the nicest sounding bass in a recording session so I stuck with them. Do be aware that they are quite high tension and if you are used to rounds then they may be a shock.

Another Precision has LaBella Low Tension flats are they are lovely to play. Lower tension than the Rotosound flats so easier to play but possibly a bit more thumpy. I really like both sets of flats and I can't decide on either as a favourite.

• Thanks 1

Never had a Precision equipped with EMG’s but have had Precisions with Fender flats, Rotosound flats, Chromes, and probably my favourites La Bella flats. 

We’re all different players with different techniques so recommendations are always going to be tricky but for me the La Bellas are spot on, I have them on two of my three basses already and they’ll probably end up on my Jazz at some point. 

Current string prices of well know brands, i'd go with what ya got... Although the Roto's are mentioned as High Tension. There are some charts on their website.

Toe-In-The-Water or Budget Flats?

Adagio 45-100 are Nickel or Olympia 45 - 100 in Stainless... (£16ish offer?)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302719180784

Adagio are same similar price from same shop (advantage music)... but look like out of stock, don't go paying £22 odd from others.

If you dabble in guitar... i've got the Flatwound 10-46 (wound third) on an Eppi LP... neck pickup, thick 'n warm... none of that trebbly scratchy screechy stuff... save that for the strat...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

You may laugh, but Harley Benton flats may be worth a punt if you are experimenting. Price/performance is pretty good. I was surprised after having tried a whole bunch of name-brand flats.

However, my favourites on a P bass are GHS Precision Flats.

12 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

What's the tension like on GHS Precision Flats? 

I would say perceived tension more than rounds of the same gauge but not a lot more. Less than LaBellas (excluding the LTFs)

Edited by Paolo85
  • Like 1

On 02/10/2023 at 06:46, Yan_Huriey said:

Hi, I've got a P bass with Geezer Butler EMGs on it, I fancy dipping my toe into the world of flats, looking for recommendations please. I have a set of rotosound flats 45-105, I could just put those on but wanted to ask the community.

I vote TI Flats or La Bella LTF

• Like 2

I would maybe give the Roto's a go first seeing as you have them already. That way you can see how you get on with flats in general without forking out for a new set? If you're happy with them and fancy experimenting then I'd either look at TI Jazz flats or a set of La Bella 760FL's. The TI's are a lower tension and sound punchier, but I've just whacked a set of the La Bella's on a P for the first time and have been impressed so far. They sound great and the tension hasn't been too much for me.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I would maybe give the Roto's a go first seeing as you have them already. That way you can see how you get on with flats in general without forking out for a new set? If you're happy with them and fancy experimenting then I'd either look at TI Jazz flats or a set of La Bella 760FL's. The TI's are a lower tension and sound punchier, but I've just whacked a set of the La Bella's on a P for the first time and have been impressed so far. They sound great and the tension hasn't been too much for me.

Is the tension on the LaBella 760FL's higher than the Rotosound 77's?

17 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Is the tension on the LaBella 760FL's higher than the Rotosound 77's?

No idea, haven't played a set of 77's before I'm afraid. 

I only decided to pick up a set of 760's the other week as I read that was Sean Hurley's preferred string choice and have to say I like them so far. Having a band rehearsal tomo night so should get an idea of how they sound at volume with the band, but everything sounds right at home. I had read about La Bella's being high tension so I was a bit apprehensive about them, especially seeing as playing with some Fender flats had left my fingers sore after a 3hr practice, but so far so good. They're a higher tension than the TI's, but I wouldn't say the tension is noticeably too high imo.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

No idea, haven't played a set of 77's before I'm afraid. 

I only decided to pick up a set of 760's the other week as I read that was Sean Hurley's preferred string choice and have to say I like them so far. Having a band rehearsal tomo night so should get an idea of how they sound at volume with the band, but everything sounds right at home. I had read about La Bella's being high tension so I was a bit apprehensive about them, especially seeing as playing with some Fender flats had left my fingers sore after a 3hr practice, but so far so good. They're a higher tension than the TI's, but I wouldn't say the tension is noticeably too high imo.

Ok thank you. The Rotosound's are quite high tension but I can cope with them. The LaBella Low Tension Flats are as they say Low Tension. I'm hoping that the LaBella 760's are not as higher tension to the Rotosound's as I'd like to give them a try if you say they sound good.

One of my Precisions has EMG Geezers in it and is currently strung with 760FL's. Sounds great for rock, soul, R&B. 

I've also tried 9050L on it, which were also good - more high mid focused and tension not bad, a bit more stiff. Tried 77s on it and didn't like them at all on that particular bass. LOTS of tension and not too much fundamental output. 

The GZR pickups are killer. Not OTT output and a great vintage vibe. Well suited to flats

• Thanks 1

UPDATE...put those Rotosound flats on my P bass, I've got to say, I'm liking them a lot.  Neck may or may not need shimming to counteract the tension, too early to tell, love the feel of them, loving the sound. Thank you everyone for the advice.  I might put flats on another bass now.

Edited by Yan_Huriey
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Yan_Huriey said:

UPDATE...put those Rotosound flats on my P bass, I've got to say, I'm liking them a lot.  Neck may or may not need shimming to counteract the tension, too early to tell, love the feel of them, loving the sound. Thank you everyone for the advice.  I might put flats on another bass now.

I may be totally wrong but I am not sure a shim would necessarily work out fine. Higher tension strings do not change the neck angle directly. They do so by adding relief/bow. If you have no room to counteract that with the truss rod, a shim may reduce the string height at say the 12th or 17th fret, but you'll still have a significantly higher relief than you were used to, which means the overall playability is not as it was. Consider string height is discussed in terms of 1.5, 2.5 or 3.5mm. Relief is discussed in terms of 0.1mm meing low, 0.5mm being high. Granted, you may be ok with a higher relief. But there may be an argument for lower tension flats there..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Yan_Huriey said:

A tweak on the truss rod may be required . No need for shim if action was OK before .

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Yan_Huriey said:

If you do, then put something different on the other bass like LaBella's or TI Flats as a way to compare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Linus27 said:

If you do, then put something different on the other bass like LaBella's or TI Flats as a way to compare.

I tried LaBella Roundwounds on one of my basses and I like them, I've heard a lot of good stuff about their flats, so keen to try them.

Edited by Yan_Huriey