Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Roasted Basses

mr4stringz

I had a pink Saint prototype. It had faults but it was a prototype and had been used as a demo at an open weekend so I can forgive those, but it went back as it just sounded so meh. 

The actual bass itself was lovely though, very nice feeling neck and the colour was far better in the flesh. 

I'm tempted by the shortscale with the single humbucker, I bet that would sound lovely. 

Link to prototype NBD thread if interested.

Edited by Maude
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I played a Saint about a year ago. A band I was recording, their bass player had one, so being curious, I had a go. For something that cost 900 quid or so, I felt it wasn't worth it. 500? Yeah, sure. It's also worth noting when that band came back some months later to record with me again, the bass player used my classic 50s precision and sounded much better.

13 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

I too like the look of the short scale.  More colour options would be nice.

Agreed,  I can imagine that a short scale Saint Soap would probably sound a bit fatter than the long scale in the video. It also appears (to be confirmed) that the Soap bar pickup is in the 10ins from the 12th fret sweet spot for short scale basses. 

At those prices it would make a great platform to try a range of different pickups. 

Definitely on my radar. 

I did notice that in the OPs link the short scale is called Capri.

Edited by JohnDaBass

As a Reverend owner, I see these and I can't help thinking that someone described the Reverend body shape over the phone to someone and this is the result.  There's something... off about them that probably wouldn't occur to someone unfamiliar with Reverend basses, but I think would drive me batty.

I'm sure they're good basses.  Aren't all but the absolute cheapest of cheap basses "good" these days?

• Like 5

I just think that you either don't make any effort to align them all for your press photos, or you align them all for your press photos. Having them all aligned, on every bass on the page, apart from one just looks weird.