Why become a member? ×

NEW AMPEG LINEUP! Venture series

maidens97

On 22/09/2023 at 10:15, fretmeister said:

The demos sound really good.

What are the Ampeg 1 knob compressors like? I'm always on the lookout for good amps with good built in compressors!

Well if it’s the same as the SGT-DI compressor it’s awful.

Im interested in the 700 version but not a fan of the design and really hoped they would include the DI cab sims like on the SGT-DI

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, RikiB said:

Well if it’s the same as the SGT-DI compressor it’s awful.

Im interested in the 700 version but not a fan of the design and really hoped they would include the DI cab sims like on the SGT-DI

that's a shame. It's will probably come off my list now. 

I might just have to save up for the Berg HP Forte and be done with it.

• Like 2

I agree, I really like the sounds on there, a seriosuly broad spectrum too!

I do like the fact they do a nicely shaped 1x12 too, for some reason that shape of box really appeals to me.

Eude

I do like the fact they do a nicely shaped 1x12 too, for some reason that shape of box really appeals to me.

Eude

Eude

Looks like I'm in a minority but I love the design, especially the V12 and V7. I wasn't sure at first glance but I think they're pretty stylish and a HUGE upgrade over the PF series. I just hope they are well-built with no reliability issues.

So far the online demos haven't blown me away. I have always associated Ampeg with 'round' and 'warm' but I'm no longer sure that this is the Ampeg sound that other people strive for.

But looks-wise, I LOVE them. They manage to get away from the typical 'functional box' look. They are like a futuristic (from the 60s/70s perspective) SVT which makes them a bit retro now but in a cool way. Like something from a Gerry Anderson TV show. Great job.

• Like 3

I've just spent a morning test driving the V3 and 1x12 cab and I have to say it's a marked improvement over the PF range. It's much better built (or at least higher quality materials from a tactile perspective) and a great deal lighter. The EQ feels more modern and useable and the 5 position switch is gone in favour of stacked sweepable mids knobs, again which are very useful. 

Before the EQ section there are some preshape settings based on the SGT DI circuit, though these can be defeated and it can be run clean (i.e. just 3 band EQ and hi/low switches). The SVT section sounds like an SVT (from smooth-ish to gritty, with the ultra hi/low buttons putting you into the SansAmp SVT world pretty quickly) and the B-15 section rolls off the lows and highs, but also makes for some pretty interesting EQ options if you use the presets as a starting point. The drive and level knobs work well together and can sound like a driven SVT if that's what you're into. If not, the amp and cab sound generally very good - articulate, clear, but with a strong hint of Ampeg flavour. 

The 1x12 is loud, light and felt as though it had a lot more to give than the 1 o'clock on the volume knob I was giving it. In fact, the small room I was in became very rattly above 1 o'clock but I'd rather not comment on the volume until I'd gigged it or at least had some live experience in a band context. At the shop volume I was playing it at, it held the B string well and I never thought the cab lacked in any department, even though I didn't get to really work it very hard. Not super hifi, but balanced, clear and articulate. 

For the amps, I'd say the price point is about right, if a little high. The V3 felt like a £400-£500 amp, so that's about right. Over £1k for the V12 seems steep, but we'll see what happens to the prices in time. Certainly pointed at the premium end of amp pricing. V7 may be the sweet spot, though they didn't have a demo V7 in the shop to try. Cab-wise, the 4x10 is hilariously light and those who have owned Ampeg cabs in the past will feel the full force of the hilarity when you pick it up. Certainly looks like it should throw a disc out but weighs about 15kg. Prices of the cabs seem VERY steep, though. Around £800(!) for a 1x12 and closer to £1500 for the 4x10. That's high end money for a relatively unknown design. 

Overall, a nice return to form for Ampeg - hopefully. Yamaha want to make an impression by improving quality, but I suppose we should give it a year to see what the reliability and support is like; SVT Pro owners rejoice. On that note, it feels much closer to the SVT Pro amps than the Portaflexes ever did. 

Very solid amps and great lightweight cabs, but pricey.

8/10. Would gig. 

• Like 6

On 27/09/2023 at 13:19, Linus27 said:

Thanks @SamPlaysBass it looks like I will sell my MarkBass IV which is really good but I love Ampeg gear and I've been considering an SGT-DI so this will tick that box as well. I'll go for the V7 when funds allow.

Cheers @Linus27. If you like the Ampeg sound I'd certainly give them a look and the V7 seems to be the sweet spot. Sounds perfect for what you want. I haven't tried a Markbass IV but the Venture is a world apart from the LM3 I had a few years back - much more character to the sound and the character is typically Ampeg. Hopefully it'll match the Markbass for long term reliability! I get the feeling after speaking to the retailers (who I know well luckily) that Yamaha seem determined to lose the old stigma of reliability and quality inconsistency they've had for the last few years. 

Edited by SamPlaysBass
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, SamPlaysBass said:

Cheers @Linus27. If you like the Ampeg sound I'd certainly give them a look and the V7 seems to be the sweet spot. Sounds perfect for what you want. I haven't tried a Markbass IV but the Venture is a world apart from the LM3 I had a few years back - much more character to the sound and the character is typically Ampeg. Hopefully it'll match the Markbass for long term reliability! I get the feeling after speaking to the retailers (who I know well luckily) that Yamaha seem determined to lose the old stigma of reliability and quality inconstancy they've had for the last few years. 

Thanks @SamPlaysBass this is great info. I loved my PF500, it just so suited the sound I had in my head and the tone was perfect. I also recorded with a PF20 which again, sounded brilliant. Both amps with a fretless Precision and flats is heaven. I do like my MarkBass IV, I'd be more than happy to keep it and certainly would if the new Ampeg amps didn't exist. It creates a great sound and super easy to get a good tone from it but I do miss my Ampeg tone. Plus, hopefully with Yamaha onboard, we get the reliability although I never had any problems with any of my Ampeg gear.

17 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I have to say, the specs of the cabs look pretty decent. I'm pleasantly surprised at the usable frequency range of the 1x12 and 2x10.  I wonder how neutral/flat they are and if they'd make for a decent frfr modeller platform?

image.thumb.png.d8411c3423210d4ec2a7a1a28f965fa7.png

The 2x10 is a couple of inches smaller and 1.3kg lighter than the Barefaced TWO10 (which I have). The best price I can see is at Thomann for £922, which is £223 more than a new Barefaced TWO10. It's going to have to be good, if not better than a Barefaced cab to entice anyone in this market.

However, it seems the opposite way round for the 2x12 which is slightly bigger than the Barefaced equivalent, and bang on the same weight. It's also £274 cheaper than the Bareface Super Twin 2x12. This might be very tempting to a lot of people, including me.

17 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

The 2x10 is a couple of inches smaller and 1.3kg lighter than the Barefaced TWO10 (which I have). The best price I can see is at Thomann for £922, which is £223 more than a new Barefaced TWO10. It's going to have to be good, if not better than a Barefaced cab to entice anyone in this market.

However, it seems the opposite way round for the 2x12 which is slightly bigger than the Barefaced equivalent, and bang on the same weight. It's also £274 cheaper than the Bareface Super Twin 2x12. This might be very tempting to a lot of people, including me.

Interesting. I also realise that the barefaced 10CR series is voiced differently to their 12XN series - vintage as opposed to frfr. I'm inclined to think the new ampeg cabs fall into the vintage voiced category.

TBH though, if was in a place to pony up considerable money for a cab, then it would probably be a GR Bass one!

1 hour ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I have to say, the specs of the cabs look pretty decent. I'm pleasantly surprised at the usable frequency range of the 1x12 and 2x10.  I wonder how neutral/flat they are and if they'd make for a decent frfr modeller platform?

Based on the assumption that all the cabs carry the same flavour as the 1x12 and 4x10, they certainly haven't got FRFR clarity but are very open useable in the bass frequency department. Like a very good quality modern Neodymium-equipped cab should be, in my opinion. Clear and articulate, even in the highs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bleat said:

I've just taken delivery of 2 very nice brand new Laney 2x10's. 17kg, 400 watts each, neodymium LaVoce drivers. Cost me £400 so pretty much everything these Ampeg cabs are for a fraction of the price, and a lot nicer looking.

Great cabs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SamPlaysBass said:

Stayed for the morning and helped to make this video with the guys at A Strings. Admittedly, I didn't know I was doing it until I turned up but here's a demo of the Ampeg Venture V3 through the DI and general thoughts on the series. Enjoy!

Cheers for that. I watched it whilst making some biscuits. 
I am sorely tempted to invest in one of the cabs for a valve head I’m currently having built, and then possibly a head. 
It was interesting that you thought the V3 would handle smaller gigs even with just one 8 ohm cab, I found that reassuring. I run a LM3 through an 8ohm 2x10 at the moment, and it’s always been enough.

Thanks,

Rob