Why become a member? ×

Looking for a nice vintage looking tortoise pick guard for a jazz bass......

Chewie

19 hours ago, Chewie said:

Hey guys and gals..........

Any ideas......?

Who do you love using for bass parts in the UK?

kind regards to all,

Northwest Guitars is pretty good for parts. Not sure about you but I don't fancy spending £100+ on a piece of plastic. 

https://northwestguitars.co.uk/collections/jazz-bass-pickguards

• Like 1

It's very hard to find tort which actually looks vintage.

I have in the past used and recommended Jack/Tiny Tone.  E.g. I had this made up for a Yamaha BB (where you must go custom, as they are not sold off-the-shelf):

DSCF5475.jpg.6ed5f70867342b591d54677f501c13d7.thumb.jpg.9256c419f1b4ac05a81da031d0260b21.jpg

That was £54 a few years ago.

Last month, I got a quote for a tort precision pickguard: £77 + the cost of me sending him my existing pickguard as a template.

One guy had quite a bad experience: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/465816-p-bass-pickguards-uk/ .  His was not a nice piece of tort - and he couldn't send it back for a refund like most internet shopping, because it's a custom-made item. I guess whether you get a nice piece or not is just luck of the draw.

So for me even though I've used Jack before, I'm still undecided even after many weeks about pulling the trigger.  You're paying for a premium service when you commission a custom-cut, which is fair enough - but is it worth it for a precision or jazz bass which is such a standard item?  Someone like earlpilanz or a number of other eBay or online stores can sell you one for £10-£15 - and it's possibly even the same source of tort.  And you can return it if you don't like it.

I have an unused printed tort for a jazz bass - I don't think it looks that vintage but send me a private message if you want it (for free):

image.thumb.jpg.bc1692a39a7d870edee53a06e8c5e163.jpg

PXL_20230918_1009217962.thumb.jpg.41e160a042a605958d0c0704bcfaf65e.jpg

Edited by jrixn1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

It's very hard to find tort which actually looks vintage.

I have in the past used and recommended Jack/Tiny Tone.  E.g. I had this made up for a Yamaha BB (where you must go custom, as they are not sold off-the-shelf):

DSCF5475.jpg.6ed5f70867342b591d54677f501c13d7.thumb.jpg.9256c419f1b4ac05a81da031d0260b21.jpg

That was £54 a few years ago.

Last month, I got a quote for a tort precision pickguard: £77 + the cost of me sending him my existing pickguard as a template.

One guy had quite a bad experience: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/465816-p-bass-pickguards-uk/ .  His was not a nice piece of tort - and he couldn't send it back for a refund like most internet shopping, because it's a custom-made item. I guess whether you get a nice piece or not is just luck of the draw.

So for me even though I've used Jack before, I'm still undecided even after many weeks about pulling the trigger.  You're paying for a premium service when you commission a custom-cut, which is fair enough - but is it worth it for a precision or jazz bass which is such a standard item?  Someone like earlpilanz or a number of other eBay or online stores can sell you one for £10-£15 - and it's possibly even the same source of tort.  And you can return it if you don't like it.

I have an unused printed tort for a jazz bass - I don't think it looks that vintage but send me a private message if you want it (for free):

image.thumb.jpg.bc1692a39a7d870edee53a06e8c5e163.jpg

PXL_20230918_1009217962.thumb.jpg.41e160a042a605958d0c0704bcfaf65e.jpg

Thank you for this.......... I just had a look on Tiny Tone....... there's some nice looking red torts on there..... but like you've mentioned, once it's cut there's no returns....

I’ve used Tinytone - they have a lot of choice and stock. I’m fairly close so can call-in to select. An image below - celluloid and fairly red.  A chat with Jack prior to purchase might be a good idea

IMG_4747.jpeg

Edited by three
  • Thanks 1