Why become a member? ×

Is 4 strings really enough? (Oooo i went there)

BigJHW

Years ago, I was a moderator on an air rifle forum (don't worry, I'm fully recovered).  There would be howls of genuine rage issued every time someone stated that they preferred the .177 calibre over the .22 or vice-versa; such arguments would be pursued with all the zeal of the Great Schism of 1054, and the combatants would only pause to unite when someone mentioned the existence of .20 and .25 calibres, before battle would be rejoined, insults would be exchanged and I'd have to put grown men on the naughty step.

I suspect I may have found the bass-playing equivalent.

Edited by Jackroadkill
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jackroadkill said:

Years ago, I was a moderator on an air rifle forum (don't worry, I'm fully recovered).  There would be howls of genuine rage issued every time someone stated that they preferred the .177 calibre over the .22 or vice-versa; such arguments would be pursued with all the zeal of the Great Schism of 1054, and the combatants would only pause to unite when someone mentioned the existence of .20 and .25 calibres, before battle would be rejoined, insults would be exchanged and I'd have to put grown men on the naughty step.

. 177 all day..👍 😁

• Haha 1

On 21/09/2023 at 20:13, neepheid said:

If it helps, I don't know anything about Jaco apart from "he was a famous (fretless) bass player" and I've no real desire to find out.  If I've heard him play on something it was an accident.

When it comes to famous fretless bassists, I prefer Mick Kahn of Japan, personally - now there was someone to make me lust after a fretless and possibly a Wal mk1 while I'm at it. Alas neither my bn balance now my talent permit me that option.

2 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

I had a Theoben Rapid 7 MK2 in .20 that I used for field target. Kept up with a lot of the .177 guys to be fair 😬

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

Thinking about it, I wonder how many viola and violin players have it in for my former bandmate who plays a 5-string electric viola.

I only ever use a fretless, rifled, five-string (high B), chambered-body, short-barrel, figured-maple, hand-polished-stock, under-over, machine-shotgun for jazz and find my triple-ported, folding-bin 8x18" speakers give a great tone and volume and projection, down The Flying Pig every Fourth Tuesday night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, dclaassen said:

I really like my .22 ….more knockdown power :)

22 hours ago, Thump said:

And for the men, .22 🤣

21 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

And for accuracy, .177😁

8 hours ago, prowla said:

.357 Magnum for me...

8 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

... chocolate Magnum with almonds for me.... 

Sweet baby effing Christmas..... What the actual fick have I started?!  You're all sadists!

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

Sweet baby effing Christmas..... What the actual fick have I started?!  You're all sadists!

I’m surprised this didn’t end up discussing the pro and cons of 12 gauge Vs 20 gauge. 

• Like 1