Why become a member? ×

Using a commercial recording in promotional video and doing so legally!

Beedster

Folks, I've been asked to produce essentially a video podcast from an interview I've already recorded but for various reasons I'm going to need some background music. I'd normally record a simple instrumental track but this needs to be done PDQ and I'm up against it anyway so will need to use commercially available track (I'm looking at a track from the Oceans 11 soundtrack at present that fits the bill). How do I go about doing this legally?  

10 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Folks, I've been asked to produce essentially a video podcast from an interview I've already recorded but for various reasons I'm going to need some background music. I'd normally record a simple instrumental track but this needs to be done PDQ and I'm up against it anyway so will need to use commercially available track (I'm looking at a track from the Oceans 11 soundtrack at present that fits the bill). How do I go about doing this legally?  

Get in touch with the PRS. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Beedster said:

My god they still work by phone! Suspect it might be quicker to record something after all 🤔

A probably a lot cheaper.

It's been a while since I had to look at the process and prices, but for my client (a well-know but cheapskate chocolate maker) even the ball-park prices and approval time scales were too expensive and took too long. I believe that among other things they need to check that the recording(s) you want have been cleared for your particular use (some artists are very particular about how and where their music is reproduced).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

It's been a while since I had to look at the process and prices, but for my client (a well-know but cheapskate chocolate maker) even the ball-park prices and approval time scales were too expensive and took too long. I believe that among other things they need to check that the recording(s) you want have been cleared for your particular use (some artists are very particular about how and where their music is reproduced).

Use a Queen song then!! 😞

• Haha 1

Just now, Newfoundfreedom said:

Can't you just use something in the public domain?

Any old classical stuff, Beefoven and the like, is usually fair game. 

I think there's copyright on the recording. You are right though, some are not copyrighted (and not anymore), but quality may vary for those

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

The music would be out of copyright but I think there would be royalties to pay on the performance.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Interesting stepping into this space, I assumed it would be pretty simple but my God......... 

EZ: check

Bass: check

Keys: check

Off to the studio for a couple of days :)  

All joking aside, it would be useful to be able to quote some ballpark costs for using a commercially available track to my colleagues and to the client in question, it will make it whole lot easier to justify recording our own. Anyone done a one off through PRS?

17 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

There are libraries of songs that can be used for these purposes. I have not looked into it in ages but I think they can be priced fairly well, and they can be good - as background tracks.

Anyone have any suggestions re this? 

17 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Thanks but I have a very clear idea of genre and style (retro 60s/70s funk/soul instrumental) 👍

• Like 1

I assume from your OP that you are "the client" and it seems from the other posts that you already have a pretty good idea about the style and feel of the music that you want. That does make it a little easier. When I've gone down this route in the past it has always been with someone else having the final say, and in those cases composing and performing the music myself has made it simpler when the client comes back with changes - most of which would be impossible to apply to a piece of library music.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I assume from your OP that you are "the client" and it seems from the other posts that you already have a pretty good idea about the style and feel of the music that you want. That does make it a little easier. When I've gone down this route in the past it has always been with someone else having the final say, and in those cases composing and performing the music myself has made it simpler when the client comes back with changes - most of which would be impossible to apply to a piece of library music.

Yes, and certainly if I had more time I'd be doing it myself. But this project has been pulled forwards at short notice and I need to have a track in place pretty quickly at relatively low cost. I'm going to have a good look at the sites in link @Paolo85 sent as I suspect the solution is going to be found in there somewhere 👍

5 hours ago, Beedster said:

If you don't want to write you own track or have little time, as said above, library and production/stock music companies are the way to go. There are dozens of them about and most with excellent standards in quality.

Sync prices vary from very little to quite pricey, but this depends on usage. It means you will have to troll through a lot of music, but with all the various filters on these sites,

it's not as difficult as it sounds to find something to your taste. Most of the tracks come in varying time lengths per track, so editing is usally a breeze to fit your needs.

One thing though. Make sure it is Royalty free so there are no further rolling payments required. 

Although it sounds like it might be expensive, it can actually be very cheap for podcasting. Some of these companies are virtually giving tracks away these days.

Writing for Library music companies is a lot harder these days, well selling the cues is, because there are so many of them about.

I've been involved with library/stock music for over 20 years and know of quite a few companies. If you get stuck for time I will post up a few more links.

I know you are on a budget, so try Pond5 first...You can get (royalty free) tracks for as little as $5:00...

https://www.pond5.com/royalty-free-music/

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, lowdown said:

If you don't want to write you own track or have little time, as said above, library and production/stock music companies are the way to go. There are dozens of them about and most with excellent standards in quality.

Sync prices vary from very little to quite pricey, but this depends on usage. It means you will have to troll through a lot of music, but with all the various filters on these sites,

it's not as difficult as it sounds to find something to your taste. Most of the tracks come in varying time lengths per track, so editing is usally a breeze to fit your needs.

One thing though. Make sure it is Royalty free so there are no further rolling payments required. 

Although it sounds like it might be expensive, it can actually be very cheap for podcasting. Some of these companies are virtually giving tracks away these days.

Writing for Library music companies is a lot harder these days, well selling the cues is, because there are so many of them about.

I've been involved with library/stock music for over 20 years and know of quite a few companies. If you get stuck for time I will post up a few more links.

I know you are on a budget, so try Pond5 first...You can get (royalty free) tracks for as little as $5:00...

https://www.pond5.com/royalty-free-music/

+1

is the track specifically composed for oceans 11? Can be a bit tricksy clearing soundtrack music for tv at least.  We used to be able to manage to clear silvascreen recordings. I'd look there as at least you are not dealing with the movie company. 

https://www.silvascreen.com/

they tend to re-record with city of prague orchestra or something similar. 

Its all moved on a lot where if a track was PRS registered, I could clear it easily. Now it has to be a 100% PRS publisher meaning we cant clear the majority of US music and some uk stuff. Eg- I wanted to clear 25 secs of a tv theme for International use (essentially a tv prog for worldwide, all media in perpetuity) and I was quoted around £1500. our music team have to contact each publisher on each occasion so we no longer use any commercial music as we need to sell the programme on fully cleared.

libraries that we consistently use are:

Extreme Music 

Audio Network 

Cavendish music

9lives music

London Sync

reliable source music

Universal production music

I'd like to think a podcast would be cheaper!

I cant comment on the pricing as we have blanket agreements with them. One thing I will say is that a lot of the libraries will message you personally when you register and help with specific music searches.

extreme music have an online live chat option and they send you options real time. They all have have plenty of filters and audio network even used to have an option where you could tap in the tempo with the space bar. 

I dont tend to do much editorially but if people have specific requests I never search. I just ask the companies for music reccomendations. 

Ive used lots of Pond5 footage in programmes and its all been very professional and quite easy but never used thier tracks. no doubt they are worth a punt

• Thanks 2