Why become a member? ×

Why do you play bass like that?

CiciBass

59 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

In the case of BC I don't think @CiciBass needs to be worried, especially given some of the rubbish that gets talked on here!

Elsewhere, particularly on FB, I've found that while a lot is as you describe, some of the "delete if not allowed" crowd overlaps with the "I'm just saying" crowd where they're just daring people to disagree with them so they can cry freedom of speech, cancel culture, or some other bollocks. 

56 minutes ago, neepheid said:

In my experience, anyone who pre/suffixes something with "just saying" is doing anything but just saying.  See "no offence but..." for similar effect.

55 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Or "I'm not [insert deplorable trait here], but..."

53 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Conversely, my best mate has a habit of saying "No offence..." before/after saying something completely innocuous.  I think he knows that it annoys me :D

Well, speaking as a parent...

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

In my experience, anyone who pre/suffixes something with "just saying" is doing anything but just saying.  See "no offence but..." for similar effect.

Not being funny but I've done my research. Change my mind. 

Edited by toneknob
  • Haha 2

I hear you about the pedalboard thing.  I also have a well-stocked one.  I come from a shoegaze background so it's just normal for me.  You wouldn't believe how many times other bassists in shared rehearsal spaces have told me that I have too many for a bassist or that all I really need as a bassist is a tuner.

• Like 1

Just had a look at the video, though I confess I pretty much jumped straight thru to the playing section. As regards the "verbal" part my immediate thought was..why?.. you certainly don't have to justify anything about what you do or what you look like, who you are, etc etc..

The music section.. sounds bloody good to me, end of.

I've got a number of pedals that are probably more what you'd think a "guitarist" would use ( I'm likely to be doing more soundscape type stuff ongoing nowadays).. pedals are great, you can't have "too many pedals" 😁

• Like 1

CiciBass, your playing is great but frankly I'm shocked that you're meeting people right now, in 2023, who find a female bassist with dyed hair who plays some high twiddly bits in any way surprising or wrong. Surely you'd need to go back to the late sixties for that to be shocking? I can only assume that the younger people you meet have led very sheltered lives and have completely missed out on everything except the blandest, most mainstream music of the last fifty years.

• Like 3

Also recently there was a thread here on BC championing the "Bass-lead-amp" setup where those of an anti-pedal bent championed their simple and direct setup.

Aren't we a delightfully contrary bunch! (wouldn't have it any other way tbh)

1 hour ago, toneknob said:

ok so I've watched the video now top of my mind is where is the pedal board run-down?

(probably somewhere else on your channel but anyway)

It is indeed elsewhere on the channel:

(I'd seen this before which is why I knew to look for it)

Edited by asingardenof
  • Like 3

I saw you video; I find it “almost” unbelievable that there are those who feel they have the right to say you should look a certain way, or play a certain way. I’d have probably told them to F off, although probably better to just ignore them. I felt you had no need to justify yourself. I’d say keep on doing what you do, it’s clear enough people are enjoying your content and even if they weren’t, it wouldn’t matter as long as you are enjoying it!

• Like 3