Why become a member? ×

Strings for a Fender JMJ

Old Horse Murphy

I've got a gig in a couple of weeks in Scotland and my friend has offered to lend me a Fender JMJ and amp so I don't have to worry about travelling with with any kit when I go. 

I had a JMJ in the past and loved it but couldn't get on with the standard Fender flats it came with as I found them a bit sticky and didn't really like the tension.

My preferred flats are Thomastiks and I was wondering if anyone has any other recommendations for a JMJ as I don't think TI JF324's will fit a JMJ. I'm not a fan of Labella LTF's so would be interested in hearing of any other suggestions. I want to stay with flats for this gig rather than switch to roundwounds. 

The Ti 324 fit my Lionel just fine so I’d be surprised if they didn’t fit on a Mustang.

If the JMJ is string through body then use the 344?

My Lionel now always has EB Group iii flats on it. Long scale as they don’t do anything else. They work fine.

Lovely strings. A bit brighter than TI to start but they calm down beautifully.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, police squad said:

weird isn't it, I love the stock flats so much I put a set on one of my P basses

Horses for courses I guess. I don't mind Fender flats on a 34" scale bass but on a shorter scale I just find them overbearing (weird).

Similarly I don't like flats on a five string or a jazz but they're my go to on a P Bass. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Horses for courses I guess. I don't mind Fender flats on a 34" scale bass but on a shorter scale I just find them overbearing (weird).

Similarly I don't like flats on a five string or a jazz but they're my go to on a P Bass. 

and strangely I put a long scale set of RS66 45-105 on my wife's old mustang and it felt rubbish.

I will try other strings at some point, it is great to read other people's feedback

• Like 1

So the best laid plans and all that... 

I was supposed to be travelling up to Scotland this coming weekend for a couple of gigs with a few old band mates that I used to play with.

To save me the hassle of travelling with a bass, another mate of mine offered to lend me his JMJ for when I was up there, which started this whole thread about strings. Anyway, the strings arrived yesterday and my mate's JMJ arrived today....

He misunderstood my request and thought I needed to borrow a short scale so sent it down to me! He's a very dear friend but I do sometimes wonder what's between his ears.

So it looks like I'll be travelling with a bass after all!

Here it is with my other short scales. 

IMG_0085.jpeg

IMG_0094.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Yup, dangerously addictive little basses

7 minutes ago, police squad said:

yep you're done for.

My favourite bass of all time I think

They are insidious wee things, I reckon they're laced with crack or heroin in the nitro. My poor old custom basses don't get a look in and I find myself wondering about selling them :( .

• Like 3

The TI’s have absolutely transformed it. It’s lovely. I had one before for a short time and couldn’t gel with it. Looking back it must’ve been how it felt with the Fender flats on to me. 

It’s quite noisy in terms of hum but having read about it that seems to be quite common. It’s tolerably but reminds me of my old Jazz bass!

On 29/08/2023 at 13:06, Old Horse Murphy said:

So the best laid plans and all that... 

I was supposed to be travelling up to Scotland this coming weekend for a couple of gigs with a few old band mates that I used to play with.

To save me the hassle of travelling with a bass, another mate of mine offered to lend me his JMJ for when I was up there, which started this whole thread about strings. Anyway, the strings arrived yesterday and my mate's JMJ arrived today....

He misunderstood my request and thought I needed to borrow a short scale so sent it down to me! He's a very dear friend but I do sometimes wonder what's between his ears.

So it looks like I'll be travelling with a bass after all!

Here it is with my other short scales. 

IMG_0085.jpeg

IMG_0094.jpeg

So you bought the Mike Kerr from A Strings. (PM me on the setups I've done)

Thats' a lovely shot of your Shorties.

26 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

The TI’s have absolutely transformed it. It’s lovely. I had one before for a short time and couldn’t gel with it. Looking back it must’ve been how it felt with the Fender flats on to me. 

It’s quite noisy in terms of hum but having read about it that seems to be quite common. It’s tolerably but reminds me of my old Jazz bass!

A proper bit of shielding and they’re as silent as the grave. I should say, any shielding, as, other than the control plate, there isn’t any at all, which is poor.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Funnily enough, when plugged in to my wireless it's as quiet as a mouse. I will shield it properly though and have bought some tape etc. 

I should probably shield mine, it is my main gigging bass now and I have some theatre shows lined up and wouldn't want any grief.#

Will look up how to shield properly