Why become a member? ×

ON HOLD - Gillett Contour electro-acoustic NOW £1450!! - *SOLD*
£1750
Taunton UK

scrumpymike

This is a very rare opportunity to acquire one of these incredible basses. In the opinion of many (me included) the Gillett Contour is the most desirable hollow-bodied bass guitar ever made. The design is revolutionary, the craftsmanship literally stunning, the ergo's unique, and the sounds deeply satisfying. I am lucky enough to own two of these beauties and can't justify keeping them both as all I play nowadays is classic rock. These basses have earned many review plaudits, of which the last and best was when the guys from Bass Gear mag in the USA named the Contour 'Best Bass In Show' at the 2019 Summer NAMM in Nashville. Not bad for a brand they'd never even heard of before they visited the Gillett Guitars stand! The key features are:

31.75" medium scale;

through-body stringing;

active electronics with neck pick-up and piezzo under bridge;

sculpted blocks front and back accommodate forearm and rib-cage/beer gut;

the way the bass is designed and built produces incredible levels of sustain.

Price includes hard case but excludes delivery. Happy to meet up anywhere along the M5 corridor between Bristol and Exeter or similar distance/journey time.

DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

DSC_0088.JPG

DSC_0089.JPG

DSC_0091.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG

DSC_0094.JPG

DSC_0097.JPG

DSC_0099.JPG

DSC_0100.JPG

DSC_0102.JPG

DSC_0103.JPG

DSC_0105.JPG

DSC_0109.JPG

DSC_0111.JPG

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 9

I had the great pleasure of owning the slimline fretless version of this bass (without the piezo).  The quality of craftwork here is sublime - we're definitely in Fodera or Alembic territory in terms of attention to detail and quality of materials.  The innovation and smart thinking that has been applied in the design of the instruments is phenomenal and all the plaudits are entirely justified.    A bit of a wood-engineering marvel.  I can't speak for the fretted instruments but haven't heard any other electro-acoustic fretless that comes as close to an upright.  The preamp in the Gillett is also a thing of beauty - again, really well thought- through and beautifully effective.  A super-rare, utterly unique and distinctive premium bass from a premium seller.    

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, also played on said:

Hi Mike, do you have access to any sound samples of the bass please?. The ones on the Gillet site are listed as private access only. cheers

It looks like the Gillett site is no longer maintained. If it helps, there's a useful review here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2salHCvRN0

and demonstration here:

Edited by three
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, also played on said:

Hi Mike, do you have access to any sound samples of the bass please?. The ones on the Gillet site are listed as private access only. cheers

Don't have anything I'm afraid but hopefully what Loz has sent you helps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, three said:

I had the great pleasure of owning the slimline fretless version of this bass (without the piezo).  The quality of craftwork here is sublime - we're definitely in Fodera or Alembic territory in terms of attention to detail and quality of materials.  The innovation and smart thinking that has been applied in the design of the instruments is phenomenal and all the plaudits are entirely justified.    A bit of a wood-engineering marvel.  I can't speak for the fretted instruments but haven't heard any other electro-acoustic fretless that comes as close to an upright.  The preamp in the Gillett is also a thing of beauty - again, really well thought- through and beautifully effective.  A super-rare, utterly unique and distinctive premium bass from a premium seller.    

Moment I saw it I thought ‘Damn, frets….’ 🤔

• Like 1

18 hours ago, oldslapper said:

...looks like it’s been put together with a great deal of expertise and care.

You're right there! Couldn't believe it when I removed the truss-rod cover to find that it's fixed by 3 tiny machine screws into threaded metal inserts set in the headstock!... and the string anchor is milled out of solid brass... and the cover plate that also accesses the battery is held in place by 4 tiny magnets... and the nut is adjustable... and it has a Neutrik locking jack chassis!!! There is no sign of cost-saving compromise on this bass. Everything that goes into it is the best, including the build quality

Here's the Bass Gear Award citation and interview video link from the 2019 Summer NAMM in Nashville. The ST that Michael is holding is my other Contour btw. At the time, it was the first and only ST built so Michael G asked me to lend it back to him for the show.

Bass Gear 2019 Summer NAMM Awards.docx

• 4 weeks later...

There are many who believe this is the best Electro-Acoustic bass ever built. When these were in full-scale production, players were selling what were previously regarded as the top E-A brands to buy Gillett Contours - I know because I spoke to many of them while I was helping Michael G out with his sales, marketing and promotions.

Bass 'Stradivarius' of the future? For just £1750?!

I've got 2 and I certainly won't be selling both of them!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • scrumpymike changed the title to Gillett Contour electro-acoustic NOW £1450!!
  • 3 weeks later...
  • scrumpymike changed the title to SOLD - Gillett Contour electro-acoustic NOW £1450!!