Why become a member? ×

Steve Harris Rig 2023

Chaosanator

I recall that he was a proud Trace Elliot user for many years... not a single trace (haha) of it left in there now, sadly.

Perhaps unsurprising that an aural exciter is the first thing in line. Part of the desperate attempt to make his flats not sound like flats, I guess :lol:

• Like 1

I watched that same YouTube video and was surprised. During the  British Lion gig, I could only see his old Marshall two 4x 12 stack close up. I stopped chasing his sound a while back now. If you ever listen to an isolated bass track from the same album, there is a slight difference in the bass sound. Suppose it comes down the mixing to suit the song. 

Each album has its unique bass sound, it's not about the clank as many people think. I tried his signature flats, and to be fair they don't stay fresh long enough.....

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Interesting that one of the DI feeds is essentially immediately after the bass, and the cabs make no contribution to the FoH sound.

I thought that, it sounds like basically it's the bass and Tech21 pedal that is what you hear in the crowd, everything else is all for his on-stage pleasure.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, asingardenof said:

I thought that, it sounds like basically it's the bass and Tech21 pedal that is what you hear in the crowd, everything else is all for his on-stage pleasure.

That`s the way I  worked in my old band and why I preferred Ampeg or Ashdown rigs on stage, made the sound nicer to my ears so I enjoyed the gig more.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, asingardenof said:

Without seeing the mixing desk channel settings and fader positions for all the DI feeds from that rig you really can't say how important any of those elements actually are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Without seeing the mixing desk channel settings and fader positions for all the DI feeds from that rig you really can't say how important any of those elements actually are.

True, but that's the impression I got from what the dude was saying.

• Like 1

2 things I regularly see on these type of run downs - Some variant of a tech 21 unit and gk mb800s! 

I'm sure I saw duff from g n r used x2 mb800 as his main rig on one. 

Great to see Steve actually incorporating his pedal into the show though. Makes it more genuine for buyers of the pedal and not just a gimmick like some players do. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, gjones said:

I have a feeling if all that ancient electronic gubbins was bypassed and the bass put through the Tech 21 and one of those GKMB800s, I doubt Steve Harris would notice the difference.

He's probably deaf by now anyhow :)

I worry enough about my new gear breaking at a pub gig!