Why become a member? ×

The Future of SBL - Wrong Answers Only

TeresaFR

17 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Jazz noodling is never better than anything. I'd rather hear Coldplay or even Nickelback. 

Hah hah knowing how you feel about Coldplay that is some condemnation!  But I agree. I've seen some vids of Scott's fave players and to a man they're pretty much all jazz fusion types who spend most of their time widdling above the 12th fret. The only thing worse (by a head) are 80s 'neo-classical' guitar shredders

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Scott's Bathysphere Lessons

For those "deep dives"

(God, I hate that phrase)

You should take a helicopter view of it, for the blue sky thinking.

I'm so glad to be retired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

I have a lifetime membership so at least I don't have to worry about him putting my subs up if I say something too critical 🤣

He might subject you to lots of Jazz noodling videos if you did 😬😁

• Haha 1

I'm sure he's a lovely bloke but he just reminds me of the jazz club character from the fast show but without the hair or smoking.  He can play some utter rubbish by some famous jazz bassist and it's like he's got tourettes with the random outbursts of nice, oh man that's great, tight, pocket or just a similar random word. 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm sure he's a lovely bloke but he just reminds me of the jazz club character from the fast show but without the hair or smoking.  He can play some utter rubbish by some famous jazz bassist and it's like he's got tourettes with the random outbursts of nice, oh man that's great, tight, pocket or just a similar random word. 

Don't forget everything that's wicked and super awesome!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They make a series where they learn to talk and act like each other and then, having planted cameras around each others houses, spend a week trying to pretend to be each other with the others' wife and family. It goes badly, as the respective wives pick up on it immediately, but pretend not to notice and spend the entire week trying to get their "husbands" into bed. At the end of the week, whilst Ian and Scott go on "business trips", the wives go on their own trip away, together. Once Scott and Ian find out, they decide to move in together themselves and fully realise their bromance, just the two of them and their collective $6,000,000 worth of basses (after paying alimony).

I realise I may be "shipping" (as people younger than me are wont to say) Scott and Ian far more than is healthy and I should probably seek therapy.

Edited by TeresaFR
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TeresaFR said:

I realise I may be "shipping" (as people younger than me are want to say) Scott and Ian far more than is healthy and I should probably seek therapy.

Yes very possibly 😂

1 minute ago, TeresaFR said:

But is it not more fun to inflict my mental images upon everyone here? It's certainly cheaper.

Have you considered a supporting membership? It’s the least we can do to help you through this 😀

• Haha 2

I got a membership to SBL a few months ago. After reading this I skimmed through Scott's own Bass Fundation course. I just skimmed but I found no trace of jazz noodling. Even in the long sections when he shows how to build bass lines using chord tones, when one could naturally fall into jazz, his playing had a clear pop feeling.

Obviously, if one wants to learn metal that's not the right angle for a course. I would say chords would have to be touched upon briefly and scales, modes and complex rythm should take priority. At the same time, if one wants to become Steve DiGiorgio at some point chord tones are not a waste of time.

There was no trace of jazz noodling also in the courses on blues and preventing i jury I took. Nor in the fretless course - plenty of noodling though, but not jazz and not by Scott.

It turns out in SBL there are two hour long courses on metal bass by David Effelson and a 5-hour course on prog metal bass playing. Then there are three seminars on metal (arpeggios in metal, slap in metal, analysing metal basslines).

Youtube videos are marketing and I imagine the jazz noodling is a way of saying "I am good, I can teach you". Noodling Slayer bass lines would not be as effective as a marketing tool.

I do get a lot of the criticism to SBL - the clickbait, not getting to the point.. but I am under the impression that the crime here is that he likes jazz, or teaches it. I am pretty sure there are worse things one can do :D

Edited by Paolo85
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Paolo85 said:

I got a membership to SBL a few months ago. After reading this I skimmed through Scott's own Bass Fundation course. I just skimmed but I found no trace of jazz noodling. Even in the long sections when he shows how to build bass lines using chord tones, when one could naturally fall into jazz, his playing had a clear pop feeling.

Obviously, if one wants to learn metal that's not the right angle for a course. I would say chords would have to be touched upon briefly and scales, modes and complex rythm should take priority. At the same time, if one wants to become Steve DiGiorgio at some point chord tones are not a waste of time.

There was no trace of jazz noodling also in the courses on blues and preventing i jury I took. Nor in the fretless course - plenty of noodling though, but not jazz and not by Scott.

It turns out in SBL there are two hour long courses on metal bass by David Effelson and a 5-hour course on prog metal bass playing. Then there are three seminars on metal (arpeggios in metal, slap in metal, analysing metal basslines).

Youtube videos are marketing and I imagine the jazz noodling is a way of saying "I am good, I can teach you". Noodling Slayer bass lines would not be as effective as a marketing tool.

I do get a lot of the criticism to SBL - the clickbait, not getting to the point.. but I am under the impression that the crime here is that he likes jazz, or teaches it. I am pretty sure there are worse things one can do :D

I think it depends on who you're marketing to. The last email I received from SBL mentioned John Patitucci, Gary Willis, Sean Hurley, Rufus Philpot, Steve Jenkins, and Rich Brown; most of whom I've never heard of - a couple I only know the names of because Scott Devine repeatedly name drops them like a priest during sermon name dropping God and Jesus, and none of them remotely interest me (which also applies to God and Jesus, as it happens). With that in mind, it has to be assumed SBL isn't marketed toward my kind of bassist and I should simply block SBL emails. Still, I can't help but feel that perhaps there are methods that SBL could utilise if they wished to upskill those of us with less lofty technical ambitions, who maybe just want to be better at fundamentals within a far less complex genre than microtonal jazz-funk - and name dropping bassists those of us interested in those less complex genres actually enjoy and are inspired by. Perhaps though, that's not where the money is and my autistic donkey should just get on with making the sort of music I like to hear.

Edited by TeresaFR
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, TeresaFR said:

I realise I may be "shipping" (as people younger than me are wont to say) Scott and Ian far more than is healthy and I should probably seek therapy.

Well, SBL's been going a long time - well onto Season 7 or 8. Character arcs and shipping are inevitable. It's late-stage Buffy territory.

• Haha 3

On 31/07/2023 at 17:10, SteveXFR said:

Here's some for your delight

😁

8 hours ago, Paolo85 said:

There are a few bits on metal. When I had the subscription, it was one video with Dave Eleffson about how awesome Dave Eleffson is and one with Nolly about his picking technique. Slap in metal is a really rare thing and with good reason. 

Nothing at all on punk, not a single video. Something like Matt Freeman's bass lines with Rancid could be a great lesson in the use of arpeggios and fast walking bass lines.

I didn't stick with the subscription long before I got bored and cancelled it.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

There are a few bits on metal. When I had the subscription, it was one video with Dave Eleffson about how awesome Dave Eleffson is and one with Nolly about his picking technique. Slap in metal is a really rare thing and with good reason. 

Nothing at all on punk, not a single video. Something like Matt Freeman's bass lines with Rancid could be a great lesson in the use of arpeggios and fast walking bass lines.

I didn't stick with the subscription long before I got bored and cancelled it.

whaddya think of his selection here

?