Why become a member? ×

Metal specific basses

SteveXFR

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

It's 2023, haven't we really gone beyond the, 'What's good for <insert genre here>?'

Anything goes for any genre.  It should be pretty easy in this day and age to dial in any tone, irrespective of the shape of the instrument delivering it.  

Yes. I absolutely agree. But no-one so far has been able to recreate "Heft". Which is impossible to digitally recreate and is almost solely owned and employed by Trace Elliott. 😆

On 22/07/2023 at 22:24, SteveXFR said:

Having never actually played a metal specific bass I'm curious about whether they're actually anything more than just a bit metal looking.

Do they actually fo a better job of producing a good and clanky tone?

I ask because I'm a bit curious about the Ibanez Iron label basses as a replacement for my P bass

I've just had a look at the Ibanez Iron Label basses - from what I can see, the only thing separating them from the standard BTB/SDGR is the matt finish.

They'll both excel at a clanky tone if that's what you're after but not because of anything unique to those basses.

Take any extreme-looking bass and turn the tone down and it'll play Motown. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

If you want to change a land rover gearbox, or a bit of oxy-acetylene welding.. Ask away

Hey Waddo - chill out. Near future and Waddoshock will rule the earth. Just add some gotoh, washburn and keep yourself nornal!!!