Why become a member? Ɨ

Want to learn slap bass?

Jakester

Many years ago, I bumped into an old school friend who played bass. When he found out that I also played, he insisted on lending me a "Learn to Play Slap Bass" book, despite me not expressing any interest in playing slap. Shortly after that, I ended up moving and lost contact with him. I still have the book and think I only ever tried to play slap once.

11 hours ago, YouMa said:

I can't help thinking that a lot of the anti slap brigade are people who can't do it.

Ā 

Or they just don't fancy it?Ā  I find slap a bit like jazz - it takes a lot of skill to do it properly and while I'm impressed with the dedication and persistence it takes to learn the skills, the end result doesn't float my boat.

• Like 6

On 06/07/2023 at 00:01, Waddo Soqable said:

Yep and I can't play the bagpipes either, thankfully.. šŸ˜

Ā 

I can (particularly a nice bit of piobaireachd), though I've slacked off recently due to the lack of somewhere remote yet convenient for practice.

As for slap, I can't play it because I've never tried to learn, and wouldn't want to.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, knirirr said:

Ā 

I can (particularly a nice bit of piobaireachd), though I've slacked off recently due to the lack of somewhere remote yet convenient for practice.

As for slap, I can't play it because I've never tried to learn, and wouldn't want to.

Interesting.Ā  I thought slap bass was an integral part of bass playing.Ā  This is news to me...

1 hour ago, LeftBass2022 said:

Interesting.Ā  I thought slap bass was an integral part of bass playing.Ā  This is news to me...

Absolutely not, no, never..Ā 

58 minutes ago, nilorius said:

That is why i am starting from bassics at 41.

What page 41 ?Ā  Does the book have the little diagrams? šŸ˜

• Like 1

If Mark King never had a dummy... his thumb would of been busy... and things would be different... just saying... time travel and all that, whilst ya sortin out Hitler and JFK, that kinda thing... know what i mean... wink wink... Steal his bloody dummy!..

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, nilorius said:

That is why i am starting from bassics at 41.

Ā 

9 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

41.- My age. By the way - nice night for a walk , right ?

9 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

The first 40 pages dealt with getting the strap short enough to have the body of the bass tucked under your right armpit (or your left, if that is your persuasion) Probably took a month before old Nils worked out which was which. šŸ¤­

• Haha 1