Why become a member? ×

Supertramp...

NancyJohnson

I just wanted to throw this out there rather than burying it in the 'What are you listening to...' thread.

Now then.  My wife picked me up from the station last week and for some reason was playing Supertramp in the car.  I'm familiar with the main singles (Dreamer, Give A Little Bit, Logical Song, Take the Long Way Home, Breakfast In America), but to be honest I've never done a deep dive on them.

Oh. My.  

I'm genuinely shocked at how good this is.  The weirdness is what I can hear in there that isn't too far removed from what came after.  The Bee Gees-esque harmonies, how much of a debt Built To Spill owe them.  Elements of Public Service Broadcasting.  I'm only going forward from Crisis, What Crisis?  It's all subtly brilliant.

Enjoying these immensely.

• Like 6

I'm a huge fan of all British Supertramp albums, I mean everything before Breakfast in America, they were really excellent with great harmonies and over the top compositions.

Crime of the Century is certainly my favourite album.

It took me years to be able to listen to Breakfast in America as it's been overheard.

• Like 3

Great thread. My introduction to Supertramp was back in 1998. I was recording an album in South Wales and we were living at the studio for 3 months in a small cottage. In the cottage along with a pool table were thousands and thousands of CD's and VHS videos. I started to go through the CD's just to pass the time and I discovered the Breakfast in America album and oh my, I was absolutely blown away by it. I simply couldn't stop listening to this incredible masterpiece. The producer we were working with, Mark Wallis of It Bites, Travis, U2 fame suggested I also listen to Crime of the Century and again, I was not disappointed, another masterpiece and I would say that Breakfast in America along with Talk Talk's The Colour of Spring and U2's The Unforgettable Fire are my favorite albums of all time.

• Like 2

I listened to Crime all the way through the other day. Still spellbinding. 

I interviewed Roger Hodgson a few years ago, and he and Rick Davies were rarely on the same musical page. Amazing therefore what was achieved. 

• Like 3

Another vote for "Crime" from me, though "Crisis" and "Quietest Moments" are still very good. 

Check out also "Songs of the Century"; it's a compilation of Supertramp covers,  performed by some interesting combinations of musicians. 

Crime of the Century is

Rick Wakeman

Tony Levin

Billy Sherwood

Scott Connor

It's excessive (Wakeman!) but worthwhile, and there's no doubting the musicianship. 

Levin lands the first off-beat bass pulse (A) in the  final ⅓ of the song in a far less ambiguous way than Dougie Thomson on the original...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Levin lands the first off-beat bass pulse (A) in the  final ⅓ of the song in a far less ambiguous way than Dougie Thomson on the original...

Must check out, but I thought generally Dougie was pretty impressive and original - imagine being presented with those songs was a challenge to rise to!

I loved Breakfast in America when it first came out and it's one of the very few albums from that era that I have never stopped listening too.  As is often ( no, nearly always ) the case, the first album you buy from any band is your favourite. I like the earlier ones too, but nothing like as much.

2 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

It's excessive (Wakeman!)

Definitely a case of, "Shut up! We know you can play," and I would've preferred to hear the lyrics. Top level playing, nonetheless.