Why become a member? ×

Do You need to wear glasses when playing bass?

nilorius

I have recently started wearing varifocals for work and now use them for playing.  I can get by without them for bass but that is down to my vanity, I see the fretboard better in dim light with glasses.

I took the female lead singer of my old band (a lot younger than me with a better understanding of what looks cool) to the opticians, and we chose a pair of cool looking frames to use with varifocal sunglasses (the ones that turn into sunglasses in the sun, can't remember what they are called).  These are my gigging glasses, and I sometimes wear them for going out.  I'm vain!

• Like 1

I struggled with this at our last gig. 

I wear contacts and have found that reading has become a real pain with them in. I recently tried verifical contacts which worked initially but now don't seem to for some reason. 

I can read well without contacts in but my distance vision is rubbish. 

So still playing around with what works best but currently sticking with contacts and having music as far away as possible while still being able to read. 

Use glasses to read - I can just about make out a set list, but if I'm still using notes at rehearsal I need them. Also need them to set up and see what amp control is what. Don't wear them when gigging.

I only use glasses for reading and seeing with. So that would be a “Yes!” from me.

Rimless varifocals are an absolute godsend. Next ones will be Reactolight coated too.

Edited by TrevorR

I went to my local jam night on Sunday and said to the house bassist "can I borrow your specs to read the chart? left mine at home"

He said "sorry sir this is St Catherine's and we're about to sing All Things Bright And Beautiful"

10 minutes ago, toneknob said:

I went to my local jam night on Sunday and said to the house bassist "can I borrow your specs to read the chart? left mine at home"

He said "sorry sir this is St Catherine's and we're about to sing All Things Bright And Beautiful"

Poo happens!😂

Edited by nilorius

I've worn glasses since I was 6 or 7 and for many years have had vari-focals so a definite yes as I'd be blind without them.   I do however have a pair of tinted and graduated glasses made by the singer in a former band, whose day job was an optical technician and had his own opticians shops.  They are nice under stage lighting but now need updating as my prescription has changed a bit in the last 20 years.