Why become a member? ×

Unsung heros - amplifiers and speakers that are far better than they ought to be..

VTypeV4

3 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Most class D amps use a type  of modulation called Pulse Width Modulation. It is  more a radio modulation technique, think of AM, FM, PWM. It is not strictly analogue and it is not digital. It could use a digital control circuit but the amplification is not digital.

At the time Class D was developed, we already had Classes A, B and C. Hence it was called Class D. 

Back on topic please. 

To quote myself:

"Don't start that old debate up again."

Perhaps I should have said please, or even pretty please.

20 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

To quote myself:

"Don't start that old debate up again."

Perhaps I should have said please, or even pretty please.

You know that bassline you thought that you would never get right, but you kept plugging away? That is the principle I am adopting. Of course what I say is true (no really) so no debate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe less of the under rated, just cheap, but I had a Roland DB500 that I rated. 160 watts, 12 inch combo had 2 programmable channels that were handy for  2 basses and it sounded great on double. Got it for £150 delivered to my house!

Edited by ardi100
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ardi100 said:

Maybe less of the under rated, just cheap, but I had a Roland DB500 that I rated. 160 watts, 12 inch combo had 2 programmable channels that were handy for  2 basses and it sounded great on double. Got it for £150 delivered to my house!

I used one of these once, bit heavy but it sounded okay if a touch underpowered. On small gigs

I occasionally borrowed our keyboard player’s Roland KC350 combo and that sounded okay

too.

Don’t you just hate it when manufacturers name amps something you believe to be the output

and it isn’t? Often combos where the model number relating to output is only possible if you add

another cab. 

Maybe this doesn't quite fit the 'unsung hero' category but the old Peavey HiSys 2 always sounded pretty good for bass. I powered one with a Trace 300SM on a gig once and it really sounded great - I can't imagine why I wouldn't have had my cabs with me but Peavey was minter. 😃

• Like 1

Just now, VTypeV4 said:

Maybe this doesn't quite fit the 'unsung hero' category but the old Peavey HiSys 2 always sounded pretty good for bass. I powered one with a Trace 300SM on a gig once and it really sounded great - I can't imagine why I wouldn't have had my cabs with me but Peavey was minter. 😃

I ran a set as FOH PA for our pub band for 15 years or so; when we folded I did use them as a trial for a bass rig but they were heavier/bulkier than my regular cabs so I sold them.  No better or worse than many 2x15 rigs of the day.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I ran a set as FOH PA for our pub band for 15 years or so; when we folded I did use them as a trial for a bass rig but they were heavier/bulkier than my regular cabs so I sold them.  No better or worse than many 2x15 rigs of the day.  

I still have access to both a pair of HiSys 1 and 2’s. Haven’t used them for a while, but always sound pretty

good. Couple of the horn drivers have been replaced over the years, but still have the original BW speakers

in them. I also used a HiSys2 once for a bass cab and it was pretty good. Old Peavey stuff was just about

bomb proof, great value and serviceable too.

• Like 1

1. My Fender Dual Showman….it just works for the music I play right now. Both bands I’ve used it with rave at the tone.

2. Rumble 200…just should not sound as big as it does.
3. I used to have a little Traynor 1 x 12 combo amp…great little practice amp.

• Like 1