Why become a member? ×

For bass players - who preffer to sing back vocals ?

nilorius

On 12/06/2023 at 17:18, paul_5 said:

I got coerced into BVs during my tenure in a metal band, and really enjoy doing them now. I’ve known from a young age that Pavarotti was never going to lose any sleep over my vocal ‘abilities’, but well placed harmonies can often mean the difference between a good live band and a great live band.

Back when I was playing guitar in a band I started by just doing BV and then our singer quit. I was writing almost all of the stuff anyway so at rehearsals I was singing it. After 6 months of not being able to find a singer the guys suggested we did a small gig with me singing the leads.

So we did a short set at a party where there was also a DJ and other stuff and I really enjoyed it.

I still find it much easier to sing and play guitar rather than bass, but I'm working on the latter. Shortscale and a plectrum seems to really help me for that. My cheap Jim Deacon P is perfect - it has really narrow string spacing that really suits me for plec use.

• Like 1

I love having a bit of a sing, unfortunately I don't get to do it with my current bands as there's no room for it (3 singers in each band already). I really miss it.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

yea, depends on the band, i do backing vocals in my originals funk band, but i dont do them in our 80s tribute band.

thats because in the 80s tribute band its more of a show and two backing girl singers are far far better looking than me, sound far far better than me, its abit of eye candy as well, looks more pro, and everyone can consentrate on their job better ( i was going to say  "everyone can concentrate their bits better" 🙂  but i know where you bunch deviants would take that.)

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 1

I've always done backing vocals, & in a couple of bands shared lead vocals with the guitarist. Never had a problem singing & playing at the same time and while I don't have a great voice, I can stay in tune & have a reasonable range. Most of my bands have been originals with me as main composer & I do like to embellish stuff with vocal harmonies. Even the instrumentals...

However - I have been away from gigging for a good few years now and my current recording project with my lovely partner/vocalist doesn't involve me singing at all. As tends to happen, we have started toying with the idea of playing live again (probably using recorded backing rather than herding cats other musicians) and that means I'll probably have to learn to sing all over again!

Pretty essential to do BVs in the band I'm in, all four of us chip in to give full harmonies where we can.  When I first started doing BVs a few decades back I hated it and it really detracted from my bass playing but now I'm generally ok though some numbers still fox me and I step back where I know it'll throw me out.

I have done the odd song as lead vox but I find I'm only ok on certain songs where it meshes ok with the bass even after years at it.

• Like 2

Our singer has really pushed/harassed me into doing more backing vocals. When I joined the band I couldnt sing and play at the same time. If I'm being honest I still can't! Certainly not on the fly. I need to know exactly what I'm singing, it would appear I have very limited mental bandwidth so if I have to play, sing AND think about what to say I'm gonna stop breathing or fall over or something. I have improved massively though, there's certain lines where I'm doing something reasonably complex and singing/shouting and I'm now doing it almost naturally. I think my voice is ok, but nervous about saying so so backing vocals will do for me for now!

I will say practice, practice, practice makes it though. Even if you think it's impossible now just keep plugging away and you will get somewhere. Maybe not geddy lee levels but still somewhere.

• Like 2

Our lead guitarist does most of the BVs in my band but I have to do some.  I can't do the 'football terraces' style vocals often needed in my (mainly punk) covers band, as my voice is more 'angelic' but I can do harmonies, as long as the bass part during the harmony isn't too complex.