Why become a member? ×

Compression revelation

Jakester

I’ve struggled using compressors in the past - I’ve never been able to get them working properly for me, and the most recent one I had was unusable due to the noise floor.

However, a recent gig showed that I really need one - we were through the house PA but hadn’t really had the chance to sound check, and when I popped a note in a funk tune it nearly blew everyone’s eardrums.

So I resolved to dive back in, and get my hands on one of the ‘high end’ analogue pedals rather than a cheaper digital example. 

I had my eyes peeled for either a Keeley or a Cali76. I’d been uhmming and ahhing about a couple of the Calis on the classifieds (the size was putting me off as I’d need a whole new pedalboard) when a Keeley Bassist popped up.

I snapped it up, and the seller was even good enough to post it next day (unprompted by me!) so I could try it out at my gig the following evening. 

The gig involved me playing active 5 string, active fretless and amplified double bass, and the Keeley was a revelation. It just tamed my wayward playing and helped any volume issues on the DB too, with no noise issues whatsoever.

I am converted!

Edited by Jakester
  • Like 3

Compression is one of the few "effects" that I can't live without. Sure, when playing alone I feel like I lose all my dynamic range, but for live gigs it just takes everything so that I can better sit in the mix, rather than be constantly concerned I'm too quiet or too loud!

I've avoided using a compressor for years, and tend to favour a HPF over an actual compressor. I fire mine (Emma Discombobulator) on for slap passages as it's set to a fast attack time and quite a heavy compression.

I'd never really bothered with compression until a few years ago when I went on a pedal spending spree and now I can't live without it. 

Currently switch between three comp pedals depending on my mood; the Spectracomp, purely because of the 3 band setup, it eq's the bass nicely (wouldn't mind an analogue 3 band compressor, might look into that) : the Aguilar TLC for when I want that over compressed 80s sound : and a Doc Lloyd photon death ray for when I want great artwork (actually it's a really subtle compressor, works well for the jazz gigs where I don't want anything too aggressive).

Edited by Boodang

I had three Keeley Bassist all suffering from an in built design fault where there is digital noise when the compressor releases ( tiny crackle noise ) 

I assumed it was part of the design and sold it on but even the buyer had the same issue ( I refunded him in full and told him to keep it ) 

Shame as some claim not to hear it but it’s definitely present and three with the same issue seemed unlikely it was faulty ! 
Apart from that it was the best compressor I had used 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

FWIW I rate the cheaper digital example of the TC Spectracomp over the Keeley and the Cali! Don’t write it off if you haven’t tried one.

Yep tried the TC and didn’t like it 

I don’t really need a compressor I’ve decided ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

FWIW I rate the cheaper digital example of the TC Spectracomp over the Keeley and the Cali! Don’t write it off if you haven’t tried one.

Of all the compressors I've owned, the Spectracomp is the best, especially with the toneprints, each one is like a brand new pedal.

• Like 5

I've tried a few over the years and finally found something that does what I thought it should do in my head. 

The ones that fell by the wayside were an EBS Multicomp, a DOD Milkbox and then a few modelling options in a Zoom MS60 pedal. More recently I sold a Seymour Duncan Studio Bass Comp although that lasted the longest by far. 

The ones that are floating my boat now are the built in compressor on my Orange 4 Stroke amp (I'm not sure it works as a 'proper' compressor but it certainly does nice things to the sound without losing any punch or presence).

And I picked up a Source Audio Atlas too. That one is a game changer for me. Bonkers depth of adjustment is available on it if you want to geek out but just using the factory presets and turning a couple of knobs yields great results too. The studio and optical presets really make a nice difference to my sound. Fattens it all up, keeps a nice glassy top end, doesn't lose any cut through or bottom end and just beefs up any sustained notes. Loving it....

I sold Jake the Keeley - glad its worked out for you! I never noticed the noise reported above for what its worth, and thought it was a very good piece of kit.

I've tried a few over the years, and much prefer simple ones. I had an Empress Bass Comp for a bit - awesome bit of kit, but too complex for my tiny brain.

My two recent faves are Trace Elliot's dual comp on their Transit B (crossover freq is 330hz I think), and even simpler, the one knob compressor on the Darkglass Amps - absolutely amazing. Best one knob solution I've seen for my applications.

• Like 1

The noise issue is easily missed, you really have to listen for it when the optical LED changes colour ( release ) there is a tiny crackle of sound. 

You only hear it playing quietly as in a band you would never hear it 

The guy who had mine used it with IEM and he clearly heard it too hence why I let him have it for free in the end even though he couldn’t really use it !!

After three new units from different suppliers I can only think it’s a normal issue or Keeley made a huge batch with a dodgy component or something. 

Edited by BassAdder60

On 10/06/2023 at 17:14, Jakester said:

However, a recent gig showed that I really need one - we were through the house PA but hadn’t really had the chance to sound check, and when I popped a note in a funk tune it nearly blew everyone’s eardrums.

You maybe already doing this, but one thought here is to use your Keeley more as a limiter to deal with those occasional spikes i.e. set it with a high threshold to kick-in only  above a certain volume level, rather than necessarily compressing the whole dynamic range, to potentially give you the best of both worlds? (Obviously plenty of folk on BC are fans of "full-range" compression as well).

When done right compression really helps bring your bass to life in the mix and adds an extra dimension to the sound, it's hard to quantify but you'll know it when you hear it. And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, you really need to understand compression to get the best from it, what each control does, how they interact with one another and so on. But once you get it, there's no looking back!

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

You maybe already doing this, but one thought here is to use your Keeley more as a limiter to deal with those occasional spikes i.e. set it with a high threshold to kick-in only  above a certain volume level, rather than necessarily compressing the whole dynamic range, to potentially give you the best of both worlds? (Obviously plenty of folk on BC are fans of "full-range" compression as well).

You and I have locked horns over this subject in the past, and I'm not looking for handbags at dawn again but...

The above is not strictly true. Technically speaking, limiting is when you use a ratio of infinity to one, where everything that crosses the threshold is flatlined, it does not increase in volume proportional to the ratio. You can still compress using the above scenario whereby the peaks that cross the threshold are compressed in proportion to the ratio e.g. a 2 dB spike over the threshold only increases by 1 dB using a ratio of 2:1, or an increase of 0.5 dB with a 4:1 ratio, and so on. The Keeley, IIRC, has a maximum ratio of 10:1 so not technically a true limiter in that regard depending on how pedantic one wishes to be, as there would still be a small volume increase above the threshold. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Osiris said:

You and I have locked horns over this subject in the past, and I'm not looking for handbags at dawn again but...

I have no idea where you have got that idea from? 😂

55 minutes ago, Osiris said:

The above is not strictly true. Technically speaking, limiting is when you use a ratio of infinity to one, where everything that crosses the threshold is flatlined, it does not increase in volume proportional to the ratio. You can still compress using the above scenario whereby the peaks that cross the threshold are compressed in proportion to the ratio e.g. a 2 dB spike over the threshold only increases by 1 dB using a ratio of 2:1, or an increase of 0.5 dB with a 4:1 ratio, and so on. The Keeley, IIRC, has a maximum ratio of 10:1 so not technically a true limiter in that regard depending on how pedantic one wishes to be, as there would still be a small volume increase above the threshold. 

You're going to be horrified to hear I'm not debating your "strict" definition. However I don't think you're correct on the max ratio that the Keeley bassist pedal can deliver, and I guess it's for that reason that Bob Keeley describes the unit as a "limiting amplifier". 

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I have no idea where you have got that idea from? 😂

You're going to be horrified to hear I'm not debating your "strict" definition. However I don't think you're correct on the max ratio that the Keeley bassist pedal can deliver, and I guess it's for that reason that Bob Keeley describes the unit as a "limiting amplifier". 

I stand corrected, you're right, the Keeley does go to infinity to 1 :hi:

5 hours ago, Boodang said:

drawmer_1973_03-fg_VPCk93VIJFxEZVNv62fI1kRbs3EQv.jpg.8101fb32f348b0c6e71947a9e43f545f.jpg

This thread has made me realise what I really need is a Drawmer 3 band compressor. So I'll be going from a one knob Spectracomp to a 16 knob rack unit!

… taken from the bumf:

Shape sound that no full band compressor could ever provide, and at an affordable price.

… is £1289.00 reasonable 😁!!

36 minutes ago, jimbobothy said:

… taken from the bumf:

Shape sound that no full band compressor could ever provide, and at an affordable price.

Depends…. https://kmraudio.com/products/universal-audio-la2a?variant=44941668090148&gclid=CjwKCAjwp6CkBhB_EiwAlQVyxUpHbcySo41xA1SvVY7Pg1U3z6Qptmph33lBjApnzDbzkPLS9g9NuRoCtZoQAvD_BwE …

12 hours ago, jimbobothy said:

… taken from the bumf:

Well, a brand new Spectracomp is £111 and has one knob, the Drawmer has 16 knobs. So per knob the drawmer is better value for money!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1