Why become a member? ×

Uriah Heep's "The Wizard"

Kitsto

One of the principal tracks that got me on to bass as a teenager was Uriah Heep's "The Wizard" from their album "Demons & Wizards" with the brilliant cover artwork by Roger Dean.

I loved the bass line - so bubbly and melodic; just beautiful. For the last 50 years I thought it was Gary Thain since he was the bass player in the band back then.

But today I discovered it was Mark Clarke (I assumed his songwriting credit was because he was the lyricist since he wasn't in the band - how stupid is that!). I hadn't even heard of him. But - as you will all know - he was in Colosseum, recorded a couple of albums with Mountain and was also in Rainbow, briefly. And he's still going strong in JCM.

I feel a real clod for not knowing of him, but really pleased that the bloke who played that brilliant bass line that inspired me all those years ago is still very much around. 

Edited by Kitsto
  • Like 3

As a teenager myself a few hundred years back, i had The Magicians Birthday by Heep, and if you have a listen, there maybe some hot bass lines on that too.

I cant remember anymore, been too long but it was a hell of an album.  Hensley who was a brilliant writer , composed 99% of the tracks.

It was slated a bit by the press,  against albums like Look at Yourself, and Demons,   but i love Byrons vocal and Boxs'  guitar work on that discette

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fleabag said:

As a teenager myself a few hundred years back, i had The Magicians Birthday by Heep, and if you have a listen, there maybe some hot bass lines on that too.

I cant remember anymore, been too long but it was a hell of an album.  Hensley who was a brilliant writer , composed 99% of the tracks.

It was slated a bit by the press,  against albums like Look at Yourself, and Demons,   but i love Byrons vocal and Boxs'  guitar work on that discette

Completely agree - it's not a bass track but Sweet Lorraine from Magician's Birthday is still a brilliant song! David Byron died quite young, I think, which was a real shame - he had a great voice. I feel Mick Box is underrated and - although not sounding the same - is a stalwart Gibson Les Paul player like Mick Ralphs.

• Like 2

Not really with some of the early musicians.  Hensley and  Kerslake both died in 2020, and Byron died very young in 1985 at 38

New Zealander basser Gary Thain who replaced Mark Clarke in '72, died even younger in 1975 at 27.

Mick Box of the classic line up ( Thain, Box, Hensley, Byron, Kerslake ) is still going though

• Like 1

On 02/06/2023 at 08:00, nikon F said:

WOW, WOW, WOW never seen this before and absolutely love it. So in Nirvana right now listening to my fav Heep song.

I had the discussion on BC many moons ago that this was actually Matt Clarke on WHY as it sounded like an SG bass rather than a Jazz bass. Matt favoured his SG back in 70's while Gary preferred his J bass. Completely different tones.

To hear Matt explain how it came about in this vid clip is just amazing and put to rest a long debated topic.

An amazing player.

Dave

Saw them with Trevor Bolder on bass and John Sloman on vocals. Trevor Bolder was probably their longest serving bass player sadly gone now too.

He used a Kramer 4000/4001 bass and tripped over his lead during his solo landing on his backside and never missed a note.

One of my fav bands from the 70/80's. 

John Sloman ex-Lonestar was an incredible singer/frontman and having met him was such a nice guy.

Dave

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, la bam said:

I kinda miss those types of 70s albums. Wizards, folklore, stories etc and fantastic songs and musicianship.

Still some classic prog albums out there from more modern bands.

Arjen Luccassen - Lost in the New Real is one of my favs 

Dave

• Like 1