Why become a member? ×

Unicorn bass

nilorius

Well I’m quite fortunate in having found two already.

If my back weren’t in such a state it would be my 2015 Fender US Standard Precision. 

However my back is in a state so it’s my Fender JMJ Mustang.

At the moment it's a Sadowsky MetroExpress*, of which I had hoped to get a MIJ one but they're like hens' teeth, but with the recent changes announced for the MIC ones I am determined to make one mine. As a unicorn it will obviously have to be called Eleanor (points to anyone who gets the reference).

*Yes I have limited ambition

Unicorn in the sense of being the rarest and most exclusive bass I would like to own?

Late 70's Alembic Series II 5 string graphite neck. I like the ergonomics of the standard point body and sound.  The action can be ridiculously low because the necks are over engineered.  Jimmy Johnson has one but it was converted to fretless.  I know of only two but maybe there are more out there. 

• Like 1

One of these. Mine even has a rainbow...

unicorn1.thumb.jpg.32908ba36034c6a1d275a2dfa8eada93.jpg

As far as a metaphorical unicorn bass is concerned, mine would be a design of my own (which sort of half-exists) for a fretted 4/lined fretless 5 double-neck, headless & with a compact body & maybe 30" scale to minimise weight, necks on slightly different planes so they can be closer together without the upper impeding access to the lower, ideally necks-through (which might be impossible!), & probably with passive Jazz pickups. And in a really vulgar, stupid colour.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

What's a unicorn bass then.. ? Rare or mythical.. ? 

At this thread, i meant it as bass that is most capable for You at any situation You have, any music genre You like to play and a visual, too.

2 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Mmm.. Unicorn

IMG_20230529_131928.jpg

I think i have ate something like this, about 35 years ago, at my grandmothers party, when she was alive, of course. I didn't knew english and bass guitar, then. Mmmm, really teasty ! 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, nilorius said:

I think i have ate something like this, about 35 years ago, at my grandmothers party, when she was alive, of course. I didn't knew english and bass guitar, then. Mmmm, really teasty ! 

... Did she live in a rickety cottage in the old enchanted forest then? 

Just now, Waddo Soqable said:

... Did she live in a rickety cottage in the old enchanted forest then? 

No, she didn't. As i remember, i was somewhere between Austria, Australia or America. But why do You ask - You live there ?!

1 minute ago, snorkie635 said:

That would put you somewhere around Antarctica Nilorius. 🤭

Exactly !!! I now remember that when we arived with dad, she said "just a second !!", took a big gun and shot something down. It must have been Unicorn !

3 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Exactly !!! I now remember that when we arived with dad, she said "just a second !!", took a big gun and shot something down. It must have been Unicorn !

Lucky the RSPCA never got wind of that one. Or indeed, the RSPCU. 🙃

Edited by snorkie635