Why become a member? ×

Find me a narrow string spacing jazz 5 string......

voxpop

For the last 6 months I've gone almost exclusively for 5 string Spector basses. I love the feel of the 35" neck and Narrow string spacing.
I traded my Sandberg thinline custom for a very nice Windmill Jay Tee Jazz and while I love the sound I just cant get on with the 4 strings and 'standard' string spacing.
Can anyone recommend a 5 string JAZZ that has NARROW string spacing that would replace the Windmill.

If I cant find a Jazz I might have to sell the Windmill and get another Spector.

Any ideas ????

Thanks

Edited by voxpop

I use a modded Hohner B Bass V which has pretty narrow string spacing. The pups/pre aren't great though (Emg Selects/2 Band ?) so I've upgraded them.

This pic is before the upgrade, just to give you an idea of the spacing:

I have a smallish hand so goes great for me.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

What about Warwick? My streamer stage II, which has a similar sort of pickup setup as a jazz has a 16.5mm string spacing.

As far as I understand, correctly me if I'm wrong, all 5 string Warwicks, apart from streamer stage 1, have narrow string spacing.

Sadowskys have fairly narrow string spacing don't they?

Always thought it's strange how a Fender jazz 5 string has a much wider neck than you would expect.

Of course it's not a jazz but how about a stingray 5? I've got very small hands & get on fine with mine.

Hi voxpop

I have the same problem, where I prefer a narrower string spacing on my 5's to the almost standard 19mm on most Jazz style. The Warwick Stage II is 16.5mm.
Sadowsky are 19mm but apparently can do 18mm from the NYC factory but same neck dimensions ! I think your best option is the new Fender Jazz US 2008/09 models which have narrow spacing on the 5's. Haven't tried one but think they are 17.5 mm from memory. I've been looking at getting either a Jazz 5 or Precision 5. They are passive remember!

Other options are Musicman at 17.5mm (this is all best guesses) Zon, althought not really a Jazz bass or a custom build.

I ended up getting 2 custom made Jazz basses. My Sei & Shuker Jazz 5's are both 17.5 mm spacing.

Hope that helps

S

Edited by largo

[quote name='largo' post='476796' date='May 1 2009, 10:48 AM']Hi voxpop

I have the same problem, where I prefer a narrower string spacing on my 5's to the almost standard 19mm on most Jazz style. The Warwick Stage II is 16.5mm.
Sadowsky are 19mm but apparently can do 18mm from the NYC factory but same neck dimensions ! I think your best option is the new Fender Jazz US 2008/09 models which have narrow spacing on the 5's. Haven't tried one but think they are 17.5 mm from memory. I've been looking at getting either a Jazz 5 or Precision 5. They are passive remember!

Other options are Musicman at 17.5mm (this is all best guesses) Zon, althought not really a Jazz bass or a custom build.

I ended up getting 2 custom made Jazz basses. My Sei & Shuker Jazz 5's are both 17.5 mm spacing.

Hope that helps

S[/quote]

Thanks......thats the info I need.
Passive is good.
Will look at the NEW Fender Jazz and precision 5's.

If you want to go the used way:
[url="http://www.music-point-duisburg.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p1797_Lake-Placid-Custom-5-Saiter--gebraucht.html"]http://www.music-point-duisburg.de/shop/pr...-gebraucht.html[/url]

Andre Waldenmeier is a well known luthier in Germany I one had on of his Strat copies which was really great. This bass has the narrow stringspacing requiered6 and will not cost you a fortune.

I'd imagine number of frets would be a factor?
slapping on the 20th fret will be narrower than slapping on the 24th fret.

What goes round as narrow spacing? I've used so many now I'm used to them all.
Are we talking 16.5mm?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='479399' date='May 4 2009, 09:20 PM']String spacing is pretty narrow on the Lakland 5's, especially the DJ5 & JO basses.[/quote]

Really? I find the DJ to be quite large - and there is not a lot of taper on the neck so the string spacing at the nut is wide compared to a standard Fender jazz.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='479399' date='May 4 2009, 09:20 PM']String spacing is pretty narrow on the Lakland 5's, especially the DJ5 & JO basses.[/quote]

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='480126' date='May 5 2009, 05:23 PM']Really? I find the DJ to be quite large - and there is not a lot of taper on the neck so the string spacing at the nut is wide compared to a standard Fender jazz.[/quote]

Pretty sure string spacing on all the Lakland 5s is 19mm at the bridge and they're all 35" scale and all have the same 46mm nut width. Spacing at the nut is tight compared to a Fender Jazz 5 but wider at the bridge.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='481239' date='May 6 2009, 05:46 PM']Pretty sure string spacing on all the Lakland 5s is 19mm at the bridge and they're all 35" scale and all have the same 46mm nut width. Spacing at the nut is tight compared to a Fender Jazz 5 but wider at the bridge.[/quote]

Hmm. Interesting - my fingers and brain tell me different. Just goes to show eh?! I defo know that the string spacing at the bridge is wider... whats the neck profile like on a Fender Jazz? Is it thicker than the Lakland? I'm not making any excuses for being wrong (which I guess I am by looking at the figures) but the Lakland string width to me defo felt wider!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='481755' date='May 7 2009, 11:25 AM']Hmm. Interesting - my fingers and brain tell me different. Just goes to show eh?! I defo know that the string spacing at the bridge is wider... whats the neck profile like on a Fender Jazz? Is it thicker than the Lakland? I'm not making any excuses for being wrong (which I guess I am by looking at the figures) but the Lakland string width to me defo felt wider![/quote]

Haven't played a Fender Jazz 5 from the last couple of years, but not aware of any changes. The nut is a couple of mm wider on the Fenders but the Lakland neck is far more tapered as you say, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that by the 2nd or 3rd fret, the spacing on the Lakland is wider. We're probably both right and wrong in equal measure lol